Allergic to gluten

Options

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Any suggestions for GF meals at national chain restaurants?

Depends on the restaurant, where are you located? Here in Canada, a few of the restaurants now have a gf menu, but beware! I've been fooled into consuming something they claimed didn't have it, and it did, more than once.

Unfortunately, most of them are currently going with a "gluten friendly" menu - which is lawyer speak for "probably doesn't contain gluten but we don't promise". So, great for people who are gluten free to be trendy and horrible for people who are gluten free for medical reasons.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15

Dixie used to have paper plates that used an ingredient that contained Gluten. They have probably since that time changed the ingredient in their product.

I never knew that! TIL

Then again, we don't use paper plates, so it was never an issue.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Anything that isn't wheat...potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, lentils, legumes, oats, etc, etc, etc...the only foods that have gluten are wheat products.

This is not correct. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye.

I'm allergic to wheat so I eat gluten free because its the easiest way to avoid wheat for me but I can technically eat barley and rye. I also can't eat buckwheat or wheat grass both of which are gluten free but poison for someone with a wheat allergy.

The misinformation out there can be dangerous for people like me or people with celiac who get very sick.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Anything that isn't wheat...potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, lentils, legumes, oats, etc, etc, etc...the only foods that have gluten are wheat products.

I'm allergic to wheat so I eat gluten free because its the easiest way to avoid wheat for me but I can technically eat barley and rye. I also can't eat buckwheat or wheat grass both of which are gluten free but poison for someone with a wheat allergy.

The misinformation out there can be dangerous for people like me or people with celiac who get very sick.

Keep reading :wink: .
  • SCoil123
    Options
    I eat a lot of produce, meat, cheese, and rice. I do keep corn totillas and glutino bread (my fav brand) in the house.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    .... aaaand I just found out I am allergic to gluten. Turns out my break-outs and lack of energy is coming from my gluten intake. Just as I am starting to get back on the healthy eating train, too! For me, it's so hard to find filling foods that aren't bread.

I need suggestions friends on yummy snacks and meals that are gluten free. I'm not a HUGE meat fan. I eat meat, but I honestly can do without. So please don't tell me chicken and broccoli :p

Thank you friends!

Do you have Celiac disease or did you hear this from a naturepath?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I always got hives and GI problems from wheat gluten. I figured it out because it happened the worst when I ate isolated wheat gluten. I have elevated auto-immune markers and malabsorption of grains and some other carbohydrates, starch, and foods. And I get an auto-immune histamine reaction to foods. It's been very challenging. But, it was worth figuring it out to be able to manage the symptoms. I eat a whole foods diet to try and avoid reactions, and make my own food as much as possible. I eat a lot of vegetables (mostly low fodmap). I increase my calories with oils such as olive and coconut. I can eat eggs now. I can eat chicken and sometimes steak. If meat isn't fresh I can have a histamine reaction, but it's improving. My issues were triggered by medical injury. It's a long story. I can eat a highly fermented kefir, but not other dairy, although I have the histamine reaction (but it's improving). I just have to be careful I don't have too much of a build up of histamine. I eat nuts like brazil and walnuts. Fruit like oranges and berries. I can't eat gluten free products or non-gluten grains like rice and quinoa. This only started a year ago. For the first six months I didn't know and I got very sick from foods like rice, quinoa, chickpeas, sweet potato (I couldn't digest those carbs). My Rheumatologist had me track my diet and symptoms. My symptoms are manageable now and some of the damage is healing. I also have scarring in my small intestines.
  • SCoil123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I responded to a specific comment. I know plenty on the topic as it directly affects me and has been affecting what I can and cannot eat most of my life.

Its also important for people to know a medical wheat allergy is usually to wheat germ and has nothing to do with gluten, which is why I still get terrible cramps and painful hives from wheat grass which is gluten free. People interchange the two and they are different.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Who told you that? Do you have celiac disease?

-because non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been proven (by the guy who originally discovered it) not to exist.

I don't know where you get this from but it's a crock. I have blood work showing different members of my home highly allergic to gluten years ago. At one point the inflammation it was causing my son almost killed him. That said, a whole lot of work healing the guts in this house and we can eat gluten with no problems now. But it took me years of working with different people to get there.

Yes, gluten allergies and sensitivities are quite real.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    .... aaaand I just found out I am allergic to gluten. Turns out my break-outs and lack of energy is coming from my gluten intake. Just as I am starting to get back on the healthy eating train, too! For me, it's so hard to find filling foods that aren't bread.

I need suggestions friends on yummy snacks and meals that are gluten free. I'm not a HUGE meat fan. I eat meat, but I honestly can do without. So please don't tell me chicken and broccoli :p

Thank you friend

Do you mean you have celiac disease? If so, I believe there is a group for celiacs here. Also, your doctor should have referred you to a dietician.

I eat a low Fodmap diet upon GI instructions, under the supervision of a dietitian, for digestive issues. This way of eating includes no gluten, and there are plenty of foods without gluten. I make my own gluten free bread, and it's delicious! If you like breads, you can find some tasty brands out there. Also, vegetables and fruits don't have gluten.

I suggest asking your doctor for a referral to a dietitian to help you out with your new way of eating.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2016
    Options

Barley and rye have gluten as well.

ETA: I see this has already been addressed. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.

This is absolutely agree with. When did paper plates ever have gluten, or jello? Or many other product that are now labeled as gluten free?

The only time someone should go gluten free is if they have been advised to do so by a GI because of a medical issue, and then only under the supervision of a dietitian.

That's silly to think gluten free will cause weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15

Dixie used to have paper plates that used an ingredient that contained Gluten. They have probably since that time changed the ingredient in their product.

Really? Could it be rumor? Perhaps that paper plates were manufactured in a facility that manufactures wheat, barely or rye, which means there could have been a cross-contamination issue.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

-because non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been proven (by the guy who originally discovered it) not to exist.

I don't know where you get this from but it's a crock. I have blood work showing different members of my home highly allergic to gluten years ago. At one point the inflammation it was causing my son almost killed him. That said, a whole lot of work healing the guts in this house and we can eat gluten with no problems now. But it took me years of working with different people to get there.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist

You should look at my response to your original claim. Peter Gibson did a post research interview and explained why the outcome was the way it was. We don't have adequate methods, nor tools to identify it currently. Pretty much, it's too new and the science isn't there yet.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I responded to a specific comment. I know plenty on the topic as it directly affects me and has been affecting what I can and cannot eat most of my life.

Its also important for people to know a medical wheat allergy is usually to wheat germ and has nothing to do with gluten, which is why I still get terrible cramps and painful hives from wheat grass which is gluten free. People interchange the two and they are different.

I am with you. My wife has been dealing with it too (she is affect by more than wheat). It was mainly to point out that we already explained why he was wrong.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

Articles like this are somewhat offensive to those of us who actually get really sick. If only I could read this, and then go eat some toast or a bagel, and NOT have any adverse reactions......
  • psuLemon
    Options

Articles like this are somewhat offensive to those of us who actually get really sick. If only I could read this, and then go eat some toast or a bagel, and NOT have any adverse reactions......

I am going to quote what I said in another thread, because I agree and it should be reinforced.
    I wouldn't say this is an issue with science but rather an interpretation of the study at hand. Many people fail to understand the parameters of what the study is being conducted. .

Journalist or the fitness industry reads one study and makes a sweeping end all article about how people make this up in their head. The fact is, science may not just be there and there is probably a bunch of people who do make it up, which takes away from people who have a legitimate issue.

ref: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10462573/the-problem-with-science/p1
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I sincerely apologize. I should know better. My intention was to help but clearly I did not...who cares why it works for you so long as it does. It's none of my business and you're not hurting anybody by following your instincts. I'll steer clear in the future.