Macros ratio that works best for you?

I'm experimenting with different ratios of macros at the moment and wanted to hear about your experience.

What is the macros ratio that works best for you, energy-wise and cravings-wise? If you want also to specify your caloric intake and/or deficit that worked for you with a particular ratio that would be helpful, as well.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't know what mine are exactly because I don't log but I've played around with various ratios over the last four years and I like eating a higher carbohydrate diet...also, I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I eat vegetarian a lot which tends to lend itself to higher carbohydrates. Personally, I like what it's done for my fitness performance and recovery.

When I say higher carbohydrate, I'm not talking about a bunch of ultra processed refined goods and free sugars either...apparently, many people think that's what all carbohydrates are...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes, potato varieties, oats, quinoa, brown rice, veg and fruit, etc...most of my diet is whole foods based or minimally processed and I eat very little in the way of free sugars.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I'm experimenting with different ratios of macros at the moment and wanted to hear about your experience.

What is the macros ratio that works best for you, energy-wise and cravings-wise? If you want also to specify your caloric intake and/or deficit that worked for you with a particular ratio that would be helpful, as well.

I kinda made up my own (based on my nutritionists advice)

1,400-1,600 calories x day (slightly less strict about this now that I'm "bulking," aiming more for 1,700)
    115 grams of protein
    Less than 40 grams of sugar and less than 100 grams of carbs (less strict about this on heavy work out days)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Ratio's are a bit ambiguous and I recommend you stay away from them. As a general rule for someone in a deficit who wishes to preserve muscle mass (everyone??) ;

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb
    - Carbs = remainder of calories

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    I do pretty well with either carbs/protein/fat in the range of 50/20/30, 50/25/25 or 40/30/30.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2016
    5% carbs (29g) 70% fat (179g), 25% protein (144g) . i dont have cravings or get hungry and shaky anymore . i have a ton of energy i eat 2300 calories a day im 5'9"
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    The responses above rather prove that our bodies are pretty robust and will tolerate quite a wide variety of nutritional balance. I make sure I eat a minimum of 10% protein (average 20%). 50% carbs and 30% fat (which I often exceed a bit). I try and eat my five a day (3 portions of veg and 2 of fruit) and go for 2/3 small (50cal) portions of full fat dairy. I don't eat a lot of meat.
    But as long as you eat a wide variety of different food, don't try and exclude any food group and eat a small portion of whatever you fancy, you should be fine.
    MFP nutrition info is very useful for checking that your diet is roughly balanced. Add a multivitamin if you are on a low cal regime.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I guess it depends on what your goal is.. If I'm in a calorie deficit I raise my protein to 1-1.2 grams per pound. I keep fats at about 20% of total calorie intake and carbs fill in the rest. If I am at maintain, I'd lower my protein down to .8 to 1 gram per pound. I might bring fat up some and again fill the rest with carbs. Right now I eat around 1880 calories at a 20% deficit overall. I've lost 50 pounds of fat and added about 10 pounds of muscle over the last year and a half.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm not super strict with macros but I generally aim for 40/30/30 C/F/P

I tried to do 20/30/50 C/F/P once but felt like utter crap doing that so I stopped.

That said I feel macros are much more about how you feel eating those levels and how people feel varies a lot person to person, have to just find out what works for you.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Ratio's are a bit ambiguous and I recommend you stay away from them. As a general rule for someone in a deficit who wishes to preserve muscle mass (everyone??) ;

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb

so this equates to a pretty low carb number right?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    35c/30f/35p... This works for my goals and moreover how I feel.. how I feel is how well I perform.

I have to say I am fairly lucky that the craving thing has never been an issue for me. Now when getting used to dieting and being in a calorie deficit that's different, I am really hungry till I adapt to dieting again.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb

No, not necessarily that could be quite a large carb number. That would be eating minimal protein and fat.

If I took my yesterday and applied that rule I would have eaten:

136 grams of protein (544 calories)
    68 grams of fat (612 calories)
    361 grams of carbs (1444 calories)

That would be a 50/20/20 split which is considerably more carb that I actually eat.
  • SusanMFindlay
    edited September 2016

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb

For me, it would be
    138-173 g protein = 554-692 cals
    69 g fat = 623 cals

So, protein + fat would represent 1177-1315 cals/day. If I was sedentary, that'd be pretty much no carbs (and I would be a massively cranky hungry monster).

I actually eat ~1750 cals/day so I'd have 435-573 cals for carbs which would be 32-40% protein, 36% fat and 25-33% carbs. More reasonable, but still not enough carbs for me to be a happy functioning person.

I think his protein recommendation is a little higher than necessary for someone with a relatively high amount of body fat (since protein requirements are based on lean mass).
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    When I'm not trying to lose fat I really like 60/20/20 C/P/F but right now I'm doing 40/30/30 C/P/F. I just really love carbs haha.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Lost 30 lbs in the past 4 months using 40P/40C/20F from 196.2 down to 166 today.

Previously lost 40# 3 years ago doing the same from 198 down to 158. Just need to keep it off and not fall back into bad eating habits this time around.

PS: This was on an ave net cals of 1700-1800/day (around a 100-200 cal/day deficit) along w/heavy lifting 2-3 days a week, light exercise 3-4 days a week and around 30 mins of cardio spin biking or rowing 3-4 days a week as well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    For me it would be:
    5% carbs - less than 20g
    20% protein - around 85g
    75% fat - over 110g

I found that macro make it easy to lose weight, improved my health and is very sustainable (last 18 months or so).

Since going into maintenance, my carbs hit closer to 30g, and my fat is somewhat higher.
  • trigden1991

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb

It depends on your weight and bodyfat percentage. Realise that I didn't write per lb of lean body mass.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    120-130 g Protein
    100-120g Fat
    Rest carbs (usually around 250-350g)

I usually keep protein and fat around the same but play around with my carbs depending on if I'm bulking, maintaining or cutting.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited September 2016
    Im a pretty even split. But I like Protein then Fats (the "good fats") then Carbs.

• SusanMFindlay

-Protein = 0.8 - 1g/lb
    -Fats = 0.4g/lb

It depends on your weight and bodyfat percentage. Realise that I didn't write per lb of lean body mass.

Even though you should have. What is your rationale for telling people they must eat more fat and protein than necessary? It would be one thing to tell they they *can* eat this much, but it's not correct to say that they must eat this much.
  • trigden1991

Even though you should have. What is your rationale for telling people they must eat more fat and protein than necessary? It would be one thing to tell they they *can* eat this much, but it's not correct to say that they must eat this much.

I believe I my exact words were; "as a general rule". I stated the values that are generally accepted within the wider fitness/bodybuilding/nutrition community.