Can you eat carbs and still lose fat?

Options
I've been through some bad fad diets that lead me to eating disorders and I'm going to stick to what I know and stay at a deficit and eat healthy foods. My question is, can I still eat carbs and lose fat? I eat around 150-200. Work out 4 days a week and run the other 3.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's no clear answer. If you create a sufficient calorie deficit, you will lose weight, including fat. But there are theories that certain kinds of low-carb, high-protein diets are more effective specifically for losing fat. Google "Body Recomposition" and "Protein Sparing Modified Fast" for more information. It must be said that those diets require research, eating special foods, and careful tracking. If you're not willing to do that, focus on creating a calorie deficit through a balanced diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes of course you can, it's perfectly clear!
    I never limited carbs at all when losing weight - just ensured I hit my protein, fat and calorie goals.

I have some epically high carb days when cycling (645g of carbs and still in a calorie deficit for example).
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There are many carbs. Some are simple. Some are complex. Some are delicious. Some are resistant to digestion.

The simple carbs are not evil, per se, but you will do well to refrain from adding them to your food by the spoonful. You'll also be wise to read the nutrition label and ingredient list and discern the presence of "added sugar", avoiding it.
    The complex carbs are most of your vegetables. Yes. You can eat them.
    The delicious carbs are often what gets us into trouble with our calorie budget. Think cookies and donuts. Yes. Trouble.
    The resistant carbs are an odd category. It's been shown that delicious and simple carbs can be cooked in the normal way, then refrigerated for at least 12 hours, which causes the amylose starch to convert their molecular structure to a form which cannot be digested in your stomach or small intestine. These RS carbs are able to reach your large intestine where the trillions of bacteria in your biome are able to break down the tough molecules, releasing the simple carbs within, and eat the simple carbs. In effect you, the human, eat some delicious carbs which acts as fiber does, providing no or few actual calories to you, the human, but rather providing calories to the bacteria of your biome. This works with pasta and rice, but not with donuts. Dang.

The starch on my dinner plate is usually of this resistant form, and I do believe that has contributed to my successful weight loss.

Okay I get it!! My carbs come from wheat bread and are 100% complex. Only time I get simple carbs is post workout to help replenish glycogen.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    carbs are simply a macronutrient.

overall calorie consumption determines weight loss or gain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Some of the fittest people I know are vegans who eat a high percentage of carbs. They are also very physically active.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    50% of my calorie intake are carbs and I'm lean as hell. So yes.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 140 lbs total eating A LOT of carbs, both simple and complex. :)
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Of course
  • chakug
    chakug Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been through some bad fad diets that lead me to eating disorders and I'm going to stick to what I know and stay at a deficit and eat healthy foods. My question is, can I still eat carbs and lose fat? I eat around 150-200. Work out 4 days a week and run the other 3.

yes, i lost 40 pounds already with more than 200 gram carb intake everyday.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I lost 65 pounds from Jan. 2013 through Dec. 2014, and have kept the weight off since, on a diet where 50-60% of my calories come from carbs. Most are complex carbohydrates, but there's a lot of bread, rice, and pasta in there. It helps that I average about 500 calories a day of moderate to intense aerobic exercise (running, cycling, hiking, XC skiing, etc.), which draw down glycogen stores.