Can you eat carbs and still lose fat?

Options

Replies

• Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TL;DR - Try it, track it, come to your own conclusion. Diets are not a 1-size-fits-all. In the long run, you have to find a diet that works for you which is easy to stick with in the long run.

Based on the research I've done so far, it is definitely possible. Those who have seen success seem to be focusing on low GI (glycemic index, slow digesting) foods like whole grains and fibrous starches like sweet potatoes. Even high GI foods will work, just keep in mind that they may cause hunger to spike with a vengeance in the middle of your day.

I will personally be trying a high carb diet here pretty soon since my energy levels on low carb really screw with my workout performance. The patterns I've seen with any successful diet (high carb, low carb, keto, etc...) is balance. It's tough to stay within your calorie limit if you do high carb/high fat diet (typically what you'd find in junk food).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eating the heck out of pancakes right now. Down 60+ lbs.

Are you at IHOP for National Pancake Day!! Great idea!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We recently did a fun little challenge to have 10 servings of fruit and veg a day on here.

I already knew that I enjoyed vegetables. I found out that I really enjoyed them in great quantity (I was eating over 1200 grams a day during the challenge).

I could never do with limiting my carb consumption to the point I'd have to cut back on my veggie/fruit intake.

I really like eating this way. I'm not sure my husband likes what it does to the grocery budget, though.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Another old thread bumped lol

Curse you @Verdenal!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-300 grams of carbs. Unless "big carb" is paying off the designers of my scales, clothes and measuring tape, I've definitely lost as much weight as expected.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-300 grams of carbs. Unless "big carb" is paying off the designers of my scales, clothes and measuring tape, I've definitely lost as much weight as expected.

Edit: what's wrong with me today specifically picking out necros to reply to?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

same here! my low is 230g carbs and high is just shy of 300 - and slowly trending down
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Saved my reply to the zombie thread... well maybe not!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I will say that my diet has become substantially lighter in white bread, potatoes and pasta just because of the calorie spend by volume, as I like to feel full and prefer volume in food for the most part. e.g. I switch up mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower with some dishes just because I do like the taste of it and can eat a lot more than of potatoes.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I will say that my diet has become substantially lighter in white bread, potatoes and pasta just because of the calorie spend by volume, as I like to feel full and prefer volume in food for the most part. e.g. I switch up mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower with some dishes just because I do like the taste of it and can eat a lot more than of potatoes.

That can certainly be a valuable approach.

But stop feeding the Zombie thread!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not to long ago, I weighed 328 pounds. Today, I weigh 195 pounds and I lost the weight quickly. I ate plenty of carbs the whole time so I I think I can safely say that you can indeed lose lots of fat while consuming carbs.

I am sure it has been well covered by now but weight is all about energy balance. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. All you have to do is maintain a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Braaaaaaaains
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I've been through some bad fad diets that lead me to eating disorders and I'm going to stick to what I know and stay at a deficit and eat healthy foods. My question is, can I still eat carbs and lose fat? I eat around 150-200. Work out 4 days a week and run the other 3.

150 grams of carb are 600 calories, and 200 grams are 800 calories. ... If that fits into your calorie allowance while allowing enough of protein and fat, then yes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Braaaaaaaains

Haha! I think you're spitting in the wind at this point...

eta: Where's the freaking kitten filter when you need it!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Whole brains are more filling than refined brains
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Does this help?

kyz8o36rqcgg.jpg

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Saved my reply to the zombie thread... well maybe not!

Do brains have carbs?
    :laugh:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What does it matter how old the thread is?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    What does it matter how old the thread is?

Because OP likely doesn't care about the answer any more and may have long gone. If you want to have a conversation on the subject it would make more sense to start a new thread.