Bodyfat

Options
13»

Replies

• Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    The same bodyfat percentage can look very different on different people especially at lower bodyfats. I am admittedly fairly low muscle (my FFMI is about 18.5) so my 12% BF just looks lean with still a bit of pudge (see July 2014 profile pic) where as someone with a higher FMI might look completely cut at 12%.

This is a very good point that a lot of people don't realize. The way people carry their weight (in fat or muscle) can be drastically different even when they are the same height/weight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The same bodyfat percentage can look very different on different people especially at lower bodyfats. I am admittedly fairly low muscle (my FFMI is about 18.5) so my 12% BF just looks lean with still a bit of pudge (see July 2014 profile pic) where as someone with a higher FMI might look completely cut at 12%.

This is a very good point that a lot of people don't realize. The way people carry their weight (in fat or muscle) can be drastically different even when they are the same height/weight.

Definately. You look like a fairly well muscled dude (not to creep on your profile) so I'm guessing your 15% probably looks like lower bodyfat % than my 12% did. If aesthetics was all I was after I'd probably be better off with bulking up a bit.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Calipers, visual images, online calculators and the bodyfat meter thing all put me between 20 &23%.

I'm built lean naturally, and tend to gain and lose muscle and fat in the same proportions, I think my body does not like to get below that 20%, or much above it either. Only twice did I feel "fatter" like unbalanced, after #2 and #4 babies. That persisted till I got more active. Was skinnier when young but that was unhealthy behaviors and well underweight. The 20% looks pretty good in real life, and if you have bewbs, that's more fat, so the actual fat % might be higher but not unhealthy or unattractive, you could still be lean. Women do need more fat to be in good health. Essential fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'll be happy when I get to 3 percent

You'll be dead or at the very least feeling like death. Essential bodyfat is around the 4-5% range! There is no need to be anywhere near that, ever.

I'm pretty sure he was joking, he got me before doing something similar on another thread.

Of course he was joking. You can tell because he said he'd be happy.

• Spook_Skywalker
    Options

Definately. You look like a fairly well muscled dude (not to creep on your profile) so I'm guessing your 15% probably looks like lower bodyfat % than my 12% did. If aesthetics was all I was after I'd probably be better off with bulking up a bit.

Lol @ creep comment. Yea, exactly though.

The other problem I've ran into is the loose excess skin around the stomach area. Around this 15% mark I've started seeing better definition, but I have a fair amount of skin still (I was 330+ pounds for a while). I think it will only get worse when I chip away at my BF%. I have been strongly considering surgery, we'll see.

For now just happy to feel healthy.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options

The other problem I've ran into is the loose excess skin around the stomach area. Around this 15% mark I've started seeing better definition, but I have a fair amount of skin still (I was 330+ pounds for a while). I think it will only get worse when I chip away at my BF%. I have been strongly considering surgery, we'll see.

Highest I've ever been is 200. I'm 6' so that doesn't sound like much but I am small framed so 200 for me is basically entering obese but not enough to have skin issues. I'm like 155 pounds at 12% bodyfat.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Options

Highest I've ever been is 200. I'm 6' so that doesn't sound like much but I am small framed so 200 for me is basically entering obese but not enough to have skin issues. I'm like 155 pounds at 12% bodyfat.

Dude, enjoy! Lol. I can't wait to be able to go shirtless again at the beach. Hopefully by next summer!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Dude, enjoy! Lol. I can't wait to be able to go shirtless again at the beach. Hopefully by next summer!

Sounds like you are killing it, congrats man that is a huge accomplisment. Cheers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Currently somewhere close to 14%ish. This was at 12.5% about a month ago: qqpw9lq2dmem.jpg

/AWing

#Hornsbythinksi'mfat
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    18%

5'4" 120lbs Female.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Currently somewhere close to 14%ish. This was at 12.5% about a month ago: qqpw9lq2dmem.jpg

/AWing

#Hornsbythinksi'mfat

I mean I definately understand that higher muscle means that higher percent bodyfats resemble lower percent bodyfats for the majority of people but with that said THAT is 14% on you? Geez. I would have guessed 10%

ETA: reading fail, that is 12.5% not 14....still.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

/AWing

#Hornsbythinksi'mfat

I mean I definately understand that higher muscle means that higher percent bodyfats resemble lower percent bodyfats for the majority of people but with that said THAT is 14% on you? Geez. I would have guessed 10%

ETA: reading fail, that is 12.5% not 14....still.

That's what the dexa said. (Well, kind of. That 12.5% was actually extrapolated from an earlier 13.5% test.) And the difference between that 13.5% and 12.5% was marked.

But yeah, BF is weird. It's just fairly evenly distributed at that lower point (but prior, was more prominent at my waist). That last five pounds made a big difference...and was the most difficult five pounds I've ever lost in my life.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm around 26% based on recent measurements. At my last body scan I was estimated between 26-27% so I suspect this is pretty accurate for me. My goal is to be between 20-24% so I am getting closer. I am much more focused on my bf% than on my actual weight at this point in my journey. I'm going through a very slow re-comp while losing my last 20lb
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And my BIA scale % reads about 78% of my dexa %...but I suspect that varies by person (and doesn't include the daily volatility of up to 20% either direction).