Are bananas that bad?

Dead_Darling
Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

This may be the wrong place to post it, but let's try anyway!

So I have been eating bananas as a breakfast smoothie in the morning and as a post workout snack at the weekends - so basically every single day.

My other half and his friends have said that it's bad for me, because it has a lot of sugar. I keep stressing that they are naturally occurring sugars and I have it for recovery and energy. I know it has a lot of carbs and sugars, but I am trying my best to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I can in the day, on top of working 12 hours a day, plus getting back into lifting after a back injury.

Mind you, my other half and his friends don't work out and don't really eat healthily but y'know, eating bananas are the worst things in the world, and are a lot more worse than Coca Cola and greasy fry ups.

So, are bananas really that bad?

Thanks!

Replies

• Whew. This post had be worried. I eat those darn things all the time. Except the gross and evil ones, of course.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Not unless you are allergic to them or something.
    If you don't have a medical condition that requires you to limit sugars don't worry about it.
    If you want specific dietary advice I recommend you talk to a registered dietician not your other half and friends.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Bananas are amazing. Eat them. Count the calories.

Edit: But throw them away once they get spots on them because then they're gross and evil.

Um, they aren't gross and evil when they get spots... just getting ready to make awesome banana bread. My family always leaves a couple of bananas for that purpose. If I threw them away there would sadness and waste.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Not unless you are allergic to them or something.
    If you don't have a medical condition that requires you to limit sugars don't worry about it.
    If you want specific dietary advice I recommend you talk to a registered dietician not your other half and friends.

I have PCOS, but my doctor says that bananas are fine, as long as they are in moderation and I am eating well and working out - which I am doing anyway :smile:
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Good source of potassium, and they're filling! I usually eat one a day, been losing a lb per week at least. I believe most if not all natural foods are healthy, within calorie limits of course.

ETA: I do avoid eating those evil spotted ones. I throw those in the freezer for later use in banana bread!!

Really? Do they freeze well? Do you just throw them in there whole or do you peel them first?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Slashnl wrote: »
    Good source of potassium, and they're filling! I usually eat one a day, been losing a lb per week at least. I believe most if not all natural foods are healthy, within calorie limits of course.

ETA: I do avoid eating those evil spotted ones. I throw those in the freezer for later use in banana bread!!

Really? Do they freeze well? Do you just throw them in there whole or do you peel them first?

I do this when I freeze bananas:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-freeze-bananas/
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Bananas are evil and should be eradicated...

But if, unlike me, you actually like them :s , there's nothing wrong with eating them if they fit your calories/macro goals. :smile:
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Bananas are not bad at all. If I am working out in the evening, I will eat one about 45min before my workout for a boost of energy and if I work out earlier in the day, I will eat one right after my workout. There is nothing wrong with burning and eating calories. It's how your body works. Just count them. I have found that eating natural sugar before or after a workout helps me feel better, so although CICO is the main goal, you can try timing what you eat for max benefit.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member

Ok, that is awesome!!! I like to use them in baking, but sometimes when they are ready, I am not!!! Thanks.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member

I freeze fresh blueberries on a baking sheet like this too. For some reason I didn't think to slice the bananas up first and freeze them this way. Thank you for the tip! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Wow, that was bigger than expected. Sorry!

Anyway, no, of course bananas aren't bad for you, unless you eat so many that you exceed calories or don't get an overall balanced, healthy diet. Doesn't sound like that's an issue.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    I eat 1-3 bananas a day. I really have no reason to fear sugar, naturally occurring or otherwise. I need my post workout banana!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    Bananas are good!
    I can't eat them though before they get brown spots. Seems to be a mild food allergy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

Thanks! That saved me time writing out my freezing steps. I simplify it a bit - I don't use parchment paper or plastic wrap, and I cut them into bigger chunks. I put them in ziplock bags after they are frozen.

They can't be frozen indefinitely - they will start to brown after a few months.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Bananas are AMAZING!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Bananas aren't bad.

Unless they're a week old. Then they're horrible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    The potassium in them is amazing for your muscles.

I rarely eat them because they don't fill me up for the calories though, sadly (and I'd rather eat something else anyway).
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    I chuck over-ripe bananas in the freezer whole. Never had an issue!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    What sugars are not naturally occuring that are part of your diet? Yeah, there is sugar in bannana's. There is sugar in all carbohydrates. Thats fine. Have a bananna.