Are bananas that bad?

124»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Bad bananas are good - they make A great ingredient for banana loaf!!

171761.jpg
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    sprepej wrote: »
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.

Even easier yet - buy a Yonanas machine. You put frozen bananas into it and it makes them into soft serve ice cream, no other ingredients added. It works with other fruits too, really a cool machine.
    Errr or just put in the blender. .. takes under an hour to freeze cut up banana then blend into icecream. .. Without buying a machine!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. You body is not distinguishing between "natural" sugar and processed sugar.

Here we go again.

A fruit has a lot more going for it than a donut or a can of Coke. Every nutritionist on the planet will tell you eat the fruit instead of the donut, assuming the sugar content is the same. Every nutritionist will tell you to avoid or minimize Coke.

Yes, chemically it's the same. But in terms of nutrition and weight loss it is not. So there is no need to state that sugar is sugar on a weight loss site.

Unless its on a post where someone is asking if they need to avoid "natural" sugars.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.

Even easier yet - buy a Yonanas machine. You put frozen bananas into it and it makes them into soft serve ice cream, no other ingredients added. It works with other fruits too, really a cool machine.
    Errr or just put in the blender. .. takes under an hour to freeze cut up banana then blend into icecream. .. Without buying a machine!

You need a powerful blender though, like i said above my ninja burnt out the first time i tried making banana ice cream, could be coincidence though, it may have been on it's way out...
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    A banana killed my pa.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Best way to use the ripe bananas if you don't want to make bread.

2 ripe bananas - mashed
    Add 1 3/4 cups quick oats
    1/4 cup chocolate chips

Form into balls (they do get messy trying it that way so I use a cookie scoop)
    Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins.

Fast and pretty good :)
  • nancyizen
    nancyizen Posts: 1 Member
    If you are diabetic you need to be aware of the calories (55 in a small banana) and sugar content ( the riper the more sugar) I am diabetic and choose to buy smaller bananas that are still a little green. Most of my fruit consumption is blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. I can eat more of them without the sugar load.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. You body is not distinguishing between "natural" sugar and processed sugar.

Here we go again.

A fruit has a lot more going for it than a donut or a can of Coke. Every nutritionist on the planet will tell you eat the fruit instead of the donut, assuming the sugar content is the same. Every nutritionist will tell you to avoid or minimize Coke.

Yes, chemically it's the same. But in terms of nutrition and weight loss it is not. So there is no need to state that sugar is sugar on a weight loss site.

But they weren't discussing the nutritional value of the item the sugar was in, they were discussing what the body sees regarding just the sugar. The nutritional value of the sugar containing object is another subject.
  • ShogunOfWano
    ShogunOfWano Posts: 28 Member
    Nothing is bad unless you overeat.
  • waynefit1
    waynefit1 Posts: 1 Member
    Another great way to eat bananas is to fry them, split down the middle length-ways, in a tiny amount of oil. A slightly unripe banana is best, it goes very soft and the sweetness is really brought out. A great post workout recipe could be -

- a handfull of cubed leftover boiled potatoes fried with chopped onion, ginger and med fresh tomato with the fried banana on the side.

Don't make a fritter of it though!
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Bananas are good for you, I don't care what anyone says. I used to eat them at night, which is apparently the worst thing to do, but hey ho, I'm doing just fine. My motto is count your calories. If they're within your calorie intake, eat as many as you like. I mean, it's really not gonna make you fat.

Good luck ❤️.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Here we go again.

But they weren't discussing the nutritional value of the item the sugar was in, they were discussing what the body sees regarding just the sugar. The nutritional value of the sugar containing object is another subject.

Seriously, it's like someone wants to discuss the fuel efficiency of two cars and another person dismisses everything the person says because his favorite car has leather seats.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    ARGriffy wrote: »

You need a powerful blender though, like i said above my ninja burnt out the first time i tried making banana ice cream, could be coincidence though, it may have been on it's way out...

Ahh fair enough. I have a food processor with a blender jug and it works just fine for me!
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    I'd also like to extol the virtues of banana as s'more component. Split banana, fill with marshmallow and chocolate, wrap in foil, toss in campfire (or on grill). Way better than graham crackers in my world.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I have a banana most every day, filling and easy especially at work.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lissmayer wrote: »
    I'd also like to extol the virtues of banana as s'more component. Split banana, fill with marshmallow and chocolate, wrap in foil, toss in campfire (or on grill). Way better than graham crackers in my world.

I'm not really a fan of marshmallows, but you've reminded me of a dessert I used to make all the time when I was a preteen and cooked for our family (yeah, after I earned my Girl Scout cooking badge, I sort of became obsessed with cooking, and my mother was no fool with having a kid who wanted to do the work for her).

Anyway, when it was hot, I used the grill a lot instead of heating up the kitchen. I used to make dessert packets with bananas in foil with peaches and brown sugar crumbled on them to grill then serve over ice cream.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I miss bananas! Before you all yell at me, it's because my daughter is deathly allergic to them so we can't even have them in the house. I LOVE bananas and honey roasted cashews together and they are an excellent snack before a workout so sometimes I'll buy one and eat it in my car like a druggy or a criminal. Then I have to make sure I air it out and wipe down anything I might have touched so I don't kill my kid off. :(
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    lissmayer wrote: »

I'm not really a fan of marshmallows, but you've reminded me of a dessert I used to make all the time when I was a preteen and cooked for our family (yeah, after I earned my Girl Scout cooking badge, I sort of became obsessed with cooking, and my mother was no fool with having a kid who wanted to do the work for her).

Anyway, when it was hot, I used the grill a lot instead of heating up the kitchen. I used to make dessert packets with bananas in foil with peaches and brown sugar crumbled on them to grill then serve over ice cream.

Extra badge of you soak the peaches in tequila first, Girl Scout.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited October 2016
    I miss bananas! Before you all yell at me, it's because my daughter is deathly allergic to them so we can't even have them in the house. I LOVE bananas and honey roasted cashews together and they are an excellent snack before a workout so sometimes I'll buy one and eat it in my car like a druggy or a criminal. Then I have to make sure I air it out and wipe down anything I might have touched so I don't kill my kid off. :(
    that's such a shame - are there any other foods that secretly contain banana... extract(?!) that you have to be wary of. Is it in any additives (what we call E numbers in the UK)?

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    akf2000 wrote: »
    that's such a shame - are there any other foods that secretly contain banana... extract(?!) that you have to be wary of. Is it in any additives (what we call E numbers in the UK)?

Yeah, with our food allergies we kind of feel like forensic scientists the way we examine labels. Having your throat close up isn't a good time. :(
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member

A large banana isn't that different from a cupcake in terms of calories and sugar. If you are sensitive to carbs, bananas are a no-no. They are also very high on the Gylcemic Index. If you aren't sensitive to carbs, you can probably get away with it, especially if you have a large calorie allowance. A better choice might be something like berries or cherries, which have more nutrients and fiber with less sugar.

Bananas also have a huge carbon footprint (because of how they are produced and how they are transported halfway around the world), are not a environmentally sustainable food and are often associated with very shady politics in the areas from which they are exported--particularly bananas from Ecuador. They aren't a very environmentally or socially conscious choice.

There is nothing in a banana that you cannot get from other foods with better macros and fewer calories. For example, spinach is a much better source of potassium...and a whole cup only has 8 calories.

I have a relatively small calorie allowance and I don't find it at all hard to fit in 1 or even 2 small bananas in a day.

Fortunately for me I live in Australia and our bananas are produced right here not shipped half way round the world or associated with shady politics.

Although some of the Queensland politicians are a bit dodgy....... But I digress...........

Anyway I think the 'there is nothing in it you cannot get from other foods' argument applies to just about every food in existence - but I like bananas far more than cups of spinach,so no swapping over for me.

• jenrak
    jenrak Posts: 11 Member
    Bananas are my life saver in my diet. They are good source of potassium which we often lost after work out. Whenever I feel hungry I eat 1/2 banana in greek yoghurt or just 1 piece banana and it satisfies me. I always make sure we have supply of bananas. I bring it to work as snack, mix in my smoothies or just as my to-go-breakfast when I'm running late. My husband calls me monkey now because I get agitated if we run out of banana. I did a lot of research and this is good for weight lost as long as you eat in moderation. 1 piece of banana a day is enough for me. I eat 1/2 in morning and the other half post work out. I was advised not to eat banana at bedtime as it can trigger mucus production.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm eating a banana right now, post-run. Delicious.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Bananas are great- they contain vitamins & fiber. The only way they could be bad is if you eat too many and it sends you over your calorie intake and carbohydrate percentage for the day.