Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    3M_TA3 wrote: »
    Don't dip your pen in company ink.....

This has been said to my husband
    and it's really funny when we say we met at work and says he's a lawyer and I was a secretary and he gets the nudge and a wink and a good job buddy at which time I said I took a lot of "dictation".

hahah it's fun messing with people
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it...thinking about it, most of the women I've dated I met at work...I do recall it being a bit awkward for a bit of time after breakups, but I don't remember the world going to *kitten* or anything...
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Don't piss on your own doorstep .
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Nah... usually doesn't end well, and gets awkward.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Don't piss on your own doorstep .

I knew somebody who didn't follow that advice. Really didn't appreciate hearing the story, either.
  • Coffeebeenz
    Coffeebeenz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Co-worker, sure. Boss... negative.
  • Coffeebeenz
    Coffeebeenz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Co-worker, sure. Boss... negative.

Boss has a private office with a lock

And boss' wife also has a key to that office...

I'm just kiddinggggg! :p But, nah, co-worker dating gone wrong can be awkward, but that's about it, I'd think. But never date the boss. If that goes wrong, it can take ugly to a whole other level. Gainfully employed is a good thing, so never jeopardize, that. Just my opinion :#
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am 64 years old and worked for 40 years. I have seen this work out, and I have seen it cost people their job.

It worked out when the company was large enough so that the two people weren't working in close proximity.

I have seen it not work out when the dating never progressed to the marrying stage, and one of the people quit. She was embarrassed when the guy started dating someone else.

It can backfire on you if the company shuts down or lays off employees because both of you will be unemployed.

But the heart wants what the heart wants, and it is natural for people in the same area 8 or 9 hours a day to eventually find each other. Just decide how you will handle it if you break up and see that person dating someone else. Or if you encounter someone that person has slept with. It can cause bad feelings.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Fishing out of the company pond is an LOL no
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Don't get your meat where you get your bread.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    No-no-no and no
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!
  • Starman02
    Starman02 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't *kitten* where you eat
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    peeing on your doorstep.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Yeah, NO!

My best friend did that, and even married her. Then they got a divorce and now it's awkward at work, ever day.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it as long as you don't work too closely with the person and as long as your company doesn't have a policy prohibiting it. If I worked for a small company or within the same department I would try to avoid it.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, ive seen it work out, and ive seen it not work out. And guess what, Ive seen people who don't work together fall apart and things get awkward, so the working environment doesn't have anything to do with that in my opinion.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I could never afford to be that selective. *shrug

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    My first husband and I worked together
    My current husband and I met at work.
    I see no problem with it you have ready made discussion topics

I met my second and third husbands at work. Work had nothing to do with the subsequent divorces, but we were not working at the same place for long anyway. So I'm going to say depends on the people, and situation. If you are in the same department in the company or it's a small company, any breakup would or could be messy.