October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/10: 5.09 km (running and squatting in a cornfield scaring people in my PT job for Halloween season)
    2/10: REST
    3/10: 5.02 km (1/3 interval, 2/3 steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and core)
    4/10: 5.01 km (steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga
    5/10: 5.16 km (minimal progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    6/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and legs)
    7/10: 5.20 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (upper back and core) + 4.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    8/10: 5.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    9/10: REST
    10/10: 10.39 km (general hike and spelunking in a cave)
    11/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    12/10: 5.00 km (mild progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and legs)
    13/10: 4.74 km (steady pace run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and core)
    14/10: 3.50 km (interval treadmill walk/run) + 20 mins yoga

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:12:07 / 20K in 2:45:11

Races:

20/10-01/11: Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run

3.5 km walk/run was all I had in me today. This weekend will be full rest for both days. Need to recharge my batteries.

Happy TGIF!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 somehow I missed that! Guess I didn't expect the 20 miler to be 5 weeks out.....guess that shows me for not looking hard enough!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 long runs for the first 2 plans top out at 18 miles. I was just curious because, while the 6,2 mile gap between most plans' longest run and a full is pretty big, an 8.2 mile gap seems HUGE....despite only being a 2 mile difference.

I mainly got the book for the HR and 80/20 split data....the training plans were just a bonus for some fun....but I guess I started a decent discussion because of them....

I've not run the full and don't really plan on one, but I'd think for my first I'd be okay with the 18 slow miles. I left off doing 7-9 miles for a long run (kinda, not really since I was building) and it was plenty to keep me half ready. But I am not an authority. Nor have the experience. Yeild to the experts here.

I'm interested in the 80/20 thing. But I'll be back to base building. Guess you can still run your base building miles at this pace split?

Definitely a good conversation to iron out the plans and views.

I have a few of MF's books. I love them. I don't abide by them or cook out of 'em much anymore.... But they've been helpful. And I use his dqs app :blush: sorry @Stoshew71 , don't think of me as a traitor. Maybe when I get faster and stronger I'll branch out and study others philosophies :smiley:. I'd be down if Lauren Fleshman put something together!

I'm not quite sure how you would assume that I am thinking that you are a traitor.
    Not everyone is going to draw to the different philosophies.

@MNLittleFinn So you are talking about the 80/20 book. I actually do have that one. I got it at the same time that I got Lydiard's book and Running Wild. I just haven't gotten to open his book yet. I have been so busy with a bunch of other personal stuff that my reading came to a screeching halt. Your posts may encourage me to open up the book and actually read it now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I can't believe I forgot to say that! Yeah, I'm reading 80/20 RUNNING, I wanted to get more info on 80/20 running and I prefer paper over reading on the internet, so I got it. He does seem to think a lot of himself in the book, but he knows a lot, and the info is good, so it's been a good read so far.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 long runs for the first 2 plans top out at 18 miles. I was just curious because, while the 6,2 mile gap between most plans' longest run and a full is pretty big, an 8.2 mile gap seems HUGE....despite only being a 2 mile difference.

I mainly got the book for the HR and 80/20 split data....the training plans were just a bonus for some fun....but I guess I started a decent discussion because of them....

I've not run the full and don't really plan on one, but I'd think for my first I'd be okay with the 18 slow miles. I left off doing 7-9 miles for a long run (kinda, not really since I was building) and it was plenty to keep me half ready. But I am not an authority. Nor have the experience. Yeild to the experts here.

I'm interested in the 80/20 thing. But I'll be back to base building. Guess you can still run your base building miles at this pace split?

I have a few of MF's books. I love them. I don't abide by them or cook out of 'em much anymore.... But they've been helpful. And I use his dqs app :blush: sorry @Stoshew71 , don't think of me as a traitor. Maybe when I get faster and stronger I'll branch out and study others philosophies :smiley:. I'd be down if Lauren Fleshman put something together!

I'm not quite sure how you would assume that I am thinking that you are a traitor.

Lol! I was just teasing. I haven't researched enough to have much of an educated option. So far, you're my education.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Lol! I was just teasing. I haven't researched enough to have much of an educated option. So far, you're my education.

I really need to start charging you folks for my wisdom and knowledge. ;-)

Write a book. Cha-ching!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn The light bulb has clicked! Yay! That is the whole point of the 80/20 program. The crazy thing is, you will just naturally get faster. Lots faster. Trust me. It happens. When I started running based on HR, it was the hardest thing to slow down. I eventually set my Garmin to time, distance and HR and ignored pace entirely until the end of the run. Little by little, those paces just started coming down without any change in my heart rate. Now, you are going to have variation from day to day and one day may be quite a bit slower than the previous. Don't let that get you freaked out. If you track pace vs. HR for a month, you will see the downward trend. And, more importantly, running will be super easy and enjoyable while you are in that base building period, because you really don't have to push yourself too far out of your comfort zone.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 yeah, it's a HUGE change for me, but I'm finally at a point where I feel comfortable going slower. Partially it's just been that I had to fit my runs in, and time/distance/pace were what I looked at. I'm really focusing on just distance and HR now, with time a close third for most easy runs, since they are before work, and I'm only willing to wake up so early.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    When I woke up this morning I couldn't decide whether to walk or run. When I got outside and discovered it was 38 degrees outside, I decided to RUN so that I could get warm. The jacket was definitely needed today. There was even frost on the ground.

I've been neglecting my walking miles this month, so I think it's time to do a ten miler this weekend.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double
    10/5 5 miles - 52.1
    10/6 10.5 miles - 62.6
    10/7 5 miles - 67.6
    10/8 17 miles - 84.6
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 13.1 miles - 97.7
    10/11 9 miles - 106.7
    10/11 4 miles - 110.7 << Daily Double
    10/12 5 miles - 115.7
    10/13 9.3 miles - 125
    10/14 4 miles - 129

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ok life has seriously given me too many obstacles this week, lol. I DO NOT LIKE UNSCHEDULED REST DAYS! lol
    Did get in a light 5 miles this morning. A sprint dual this weekend so I have turned this into a taper weeks.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I just noticed something. GC is not using my custom HR zones for training plans. I had put one in my calendar, just to play around with, and when I looked at the workouts, the HR's the easy runs had were way lower than the ones I use based on HRR.....that's annoying....Maybe I need to re-sync my Forerunner?