10/07    Strength
    10/08    3.3    20.0
    10/09    7.0    27.0
    10/10    Rest
    10/11    3.2    30.2 
           + Strength
    10/12    Rest
    10/13    5.0   35.2
    10/14    Rest (Forgot to do the strength training...)
    10/15    4.3   39.5
    10/16    8.3   47.8 
    10/17    Rest
    10/18    4.3   52.1<- Total So Far
            + Strength

exercise.png

Thank you, @7lenny7, for addressing my question a couple of pages back. I am trying very hard to tell myself to be patient and build my base gradually (and keep it!) and hopefully, I will see my HM times getting closer to the estimates from the tables based on my 5k times.

@shanaber I was just too cheap to get the Excel (or other MS applications) for Mac. :sweat_smile: My kids may have our geeky side too (BTW, @7lenny7 , my husband is also an electrical engineer, and we know quite a few couples with this combination of engineer and math :) ) But I am also glad that they are more of a reader than I am.

I enjoyed the posts here although it is getting a little difficult to catch up :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)
    7: rest
    8: bailed due to rain and other lame excuses
    9: 13.12 miles (long with 12 x 1/4 mile zone 2 intervals and zone 2 finish)
    10. 2.53 miles (recovery)
    11. skipped (grumpy quad and a bad attitude)
    12. 3.42 miles (tempo)
    13. 2.85 miles (aerobic)
    14. rest
    15. 10 miles (long at different pace intervals with fast finish)
    16. 4.01 miles (aerobic)
    17. rest
    18. 2.95 miles (fast finish)
    19. 2.43 miles (aerobic)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp @MNLittleFinn and @Stoshew71 Yep, as a slow runner, it is hard for me to imagine fitting in the time to run 30-35 miles weekly all year. I think I had a few weeks over 30 during this half cycle. Since I'm only beginning to consider weekly mileage, I had never thought of doing the same mileage consistently throughout the year. I might just start that after my race. I could probably manage 25 over the winter. The idea you presented (of being ready to race at any time) appealed to me.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oct 1 - Rest day
    Oct 2 - 2 mile run, .75 walk, 15 min bodyweight exercises
    Oct 3 - 2.75 mile walk
    Oct 4 - 2 mile run, 1.5 mile walk
    Oct 5 - Rest day
    Oct 6 - 1.5 mile walk
    Oct 7 - 4 mile run, 1.5 walk
    Oct 8 - 3 mile run, 1.5 mile walk (trail)
    Oct 9 - Rest day
    Oct 10 - A.M. 1 mi nasty run, .65 mi walk, 30 min indoor workout
    Oct 10 - P.M. 15 min lower body strength,3 mi awesome interval run, 1 mi walk
    Oct 11 - 5k run, 1 mi walk
    Oct 12 - 40 min indoor cardio/strength workout
    Oct 13 - 5k run
    Oct 14 - 3.5 mile interval run, .65 walk, 45 min strength training
    Oct 15 - 4 mile slow run, 1 mile walk
    Oct 16 - somewhat active rest day, almost 10,000 steps
    Oct 17 - 3 mi run, .75 walk, 25 min total body strength (Fitness Blender "Push Yourself Harder")
    Oct 18 - 5 mi run, .75 walk

Goal: 36.8/60 miles run

Last night's run was "one of THOSE runs". :D I set out hoping to do 4 miles with no pace planned, just run it according to how I felt. Well, I felt rotten! LOL 1/4 mile in and the calves started to burn. That took the rest of the first mile to work out and then I started thinking that my cadence must be horribly low and then I began to realize that my hips felt like a giant rubberband was keeping me from extending my legs. So I stopped and tried some hip openers and then I tried doing a few pickups. I flat out had no speed in those legs. So I trudged on.

***Sure enough I checked my splits after the run and that first mile my cadence was averaging only 168 and my stride was only .82! I think my stride is already on the short side but .82 meters????***

Anyway, traffic was horrible. I have never dealt with that much traffic running in my little town. Car after car and I repeatedly had to stop and wait to cross the street or get into the grass to get out of the way, etc. Granted, I was relieved every time I "had" to stop and wait to cross because I was dying!

Well, all my recent runs have been 3-4 miles so once I made it to 3 I started thinking I could push to 4.5.....then once I got to 4 I started thinking how I'd checked earlier in the day and my last 5 mile run was way back on July 27 - 12 weeks ago :( I had good reason for cutting back the mileage but it's time to ramp it up and I thought why not tonight? I mean, this run already sucks, I might as well make it worth it! So I made it 5 miles!

My glutes and hamstrings burned the last 4 miles too. I think right now that after having slacked on strength training awhile, running the day after strength is just torture. I don't feel sore otherwise but it's been tough running and by the time I have a day off running and loosen up, it's time to strength training again. Hopefully I'll be over this soon.

Rest day today and tomorrow I'll run again and hopefully strength train also :-/

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 2.08 Easy
    10/4 - 4.0 Easy Track AM
    10/4 - 2.04 XC Indian Run PM
    10/5 - 7.18 Easy W/ 2 @ MP
    10/6 - 5.13 Easy
    10/7 - 5.25 Easy
    10/9 - 26.53 Prairie Fire Marathon
    10/10 - 1.12 Super Easy
    10/11 - 3.31 Recovery
    10/14 - 2.0 Treadmill - Strength Training Warmup
    10/15 - 5.02 Easy
    10/18 - 7.02 Easy
    10/19 - 5.02 Easy

Total 75.70 of 140 Miles

Another easy one this morning. Leg still do not have a lot of bounce to them, as these easy runs feel like slogs. There is no real residual soreness after the run during the day, but the runs themselves just feel blah. I think I'm going to see a PT friend of mine about the hip, as I feel it's the source of some of these issues. It's not really preventing me from running, but I can tell it's still aggravated.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Dude. If you can run 40 to 45 miles per week and feel good, you don't need to train for a half marathon. You just go out and run it. Any additional training would be for optimizing how fast you run it.

In fact, if you can consistently run even 30 to 35 miles per week including a long run of at least 10 miles, you can run a half marathon whenever you see one that looks attractive.

@MobyCarp This made total sense when I read it. And then I got thinking, do you think 30-35 miles is something one can maintain year-round or should you have periods where you run more/less to keep your body challenged?

I think I could run 30-35 miles per week, all easy, and stay healthy for a very long time. My problem is, I get ambitious and add too much speed work and/or too many races and not enough recovery. I suspect I could run 40 to 45 miles per week long term, if I didn't get ambitious about doing too much. Perhaps if I weren't ever interested in doing any races, I might be able to sustain 50 to 55 miles per week; but then there are those marathons. Sigh.

Different people will have different numbers that are achievable. I expect slower runners will have lower sustainable weekly mileage, simply because there are only so many hours in a week. There is a professional runner in my area who was quoted in an interview saying he ran 115 miles per week. Even without a job other than running, and even running faster than I do, that's a substantial time commitment.

Bingo! I firmly feel that the bolded part is the key. And I feel that is why I am able to sustain the big distance that I do all year round. I am very picky about the races that I do, and I only do races in the early spring, and then I have my goal race (marathon) in December. And I only do 1 marathon a year. I am also very leery about doing any type of track speed work. Even tempo runs make my legs very sore. The past 2 weeks I have cut back on doing splits at GHMP and GMP because I felt like they were making me very tired. I already shared in an earlier post that this week is a cutback week. I am hoping that next week that a lot of the strength will return to me that I felt was lost. Speedier workouts can mean a lot towards your progress if you handle them with care. Abuse them, and they will be your downfall.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I trained for my first half with around 35-40 mpw and I did just fine. I didn't even went past 12 miles in the long run and so far, 13.1 miles is the farthest I ever ran. Did it in 1:31:57 which is exactly in line with my 5k and 10k times. Was it optimal? Probably not, I'm certain more mileage is better for a half but I didn't feel like it dragged me down at all. Also a tip: Focus on threshold training (tempo), that pace is the closest to the half marathon (elites run at it, we run like 5-10% slower). Also I ran all my easy miles over 9 min/mile pace, sometimes 10, so don't bother too much, just go easy. During your basebuilding do strides 3 or 4 times per week after your runs. That way you keep it interesting a bit. Also look into drills. Basebuilding is the perfect time to nail these and work on your form too.

Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1 - 5.9 km - Easy - Niggle in left IT band
    October 2 - 11.9km - Easy - Calves a little tight, fine after warm-up
    October 3 - rest
    October 4 - 6.7 km - Tempo - Fine, no pains
    October 5 - 6.2 km - Easy - Fine, taper fine, wanna go fast
    October 6 - 7.0 km - Easy - Very fine
    October 7 - 5.0 km - Easy - Springy, rested legs
    October 8 - 5.0 km - Easy - Ready to race
    October 9 - 21.1km - Race - Dead legs are dead
    October 10- rest
    October 11- rest
    October 12- rest
    October 13- rest
    October 14- rest
    October 15- rest
    October 16- rest
    October 17- 6.1 km - Easy - Tight calves
    October 18- 8.0 km - Easy - Tight calves AND tight IT band, probably DOMS
    October 19- 7.5 km - Easy+ST - I was right, it's just DOMS

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I trained for my first half with around 35-40 mpw and I did just fine. I didn't even went past 12 miles in the long run and so far, 13.1 miles is the farthest I ever ran. Did it in 1:31:57 which is exactly in line with my 5k and 10k times. Was it optimal? Probably not, I'm certain more mileage is better for a half but I didn't feel like it dragged me down at all. Also a tip: Focus on threshold training (tempo), that pace is the closest to the half marathon (elites run at it, we run like 5-10% slower). Also I ran all my easy miles over 9 min/mile pace, sometimes 10, so don't bother too much, just go easy. During your basebuilding do strides 3 or 4 times per week after your runs. That way you keep it interesting a bit. Also look into drills. Basebuilding is the perfect time to nail these and work on your form too.

Thanks for the great info. I really need to start doing more drills. I usually just go out and run, and I probably need more structure to my workouts. This last summer was a huge learning experience, just jumping straight into HM training. I'm planning to use the winter for more base building and getting a better running routine figured out.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double
    10/5 5 miles - 52.1
    10/6 10.5 miles - 62.6
    10/7 5 miles - 67.6
    10/8 17 miles - 84.6
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 13.1 miles - 97.7
    10/11 9 miles - 106.7
    10/11 4 miles - 110.7 << Daily Double
    10/12 5 miles - 115.7
    10/13 9.3 miles - 125
    10/14 4 miles - 129
    10/15 15 miles - 144
    10/16 REST DAY
    10/17 7 miles - 151
    10/18 7.25 miles - 158.25
    10/19 4 miles - 162.25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    julieo81 wrote: »
    Let me start with I am not a runner, and I have never been a runner.... But I started the c25k in Feb because I wanted to be able to actually attempt to run in a fun run with my BF. About half way through the program my DR made me stop due to a herniated disk in my lower back.

I don't buy it. If you started the C25K program then you are a runner. That's all it takes. As author and runner John Bingham once said,
    “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

So welcome, runner!

Amen!

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Let me start with I am not a runner, and I have never been a runner.... But I started the c25k in Feb because I wanted to be able to actually attempt to run in a fun run with my BF. About half way through the program my DR made me stop due to a herniated disk in my lower back.

I don't buy it. If you started the C25K program then you are a runner. That's all it takes. As author and runner John Bingham once said,
    “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

So welcome, runner!

Got that right!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thanks for egg report. I can stop wondering now! :) Oh and I'd probably watch Cooking with Moby, for sure.

If Christopher Walken can have his own cooking show, I think @MobyCarp would do great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_mWtlkRqhU

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Busy busy day today, just had a chance to drop in. I didn't run today, I didn't sleep well and couldn't move come 5:00. I came by to read and talk on my girl. Let's hope yesterday's XC meet was the beginning of out of her slump. She didn't beat her PR but she ran an awesome 22:59 for her 5K yesterday in the 83F heat. The course had zero shade and it was hot. The best thing was a coach from another team came over to talk to her. He has given her tips on her form and yelled encouragement to her along the way before and tends to chat with her a few minutes. They had a long talk yesterday and he told her that he thought she was the most underrated runner on her team. He said he wished she ran at their school he would love to coach her. They talked about the course, her form things she should work on and his final words were "rethink running in college". She was so excited by all the time he took with her to talk (me too). She said in the car, why doesn't my coach do that...oh her coach left before the end of awards. :grimace:

I second @mobycarp having his own cooking show LOL
    @julieo81 I have 2 herniated discs in my back that press on my sciatic nerve. My orthopedic back doctor told me to stop running, I stopped going to him and went to a PT. I run. Welcome to the group.
    @mnlittlefinn I'm like @adrianchr92 I did my first half actually running less and with 1 12 mile run and a few 10 mile runs. That was about the time I found out about my back. You can do it on the 30-35 mpw easily.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

So welcome, runner!

This!!!!
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    A bit of hill sprints thrown into the middle of my run today, hill work is tough on the legs and the heart rate!

Prior to this year I tended to run on average about 35-45mpw all year round, I'm a slow runner too so that was a lot of time spent running, lol. When I'm training for a marathon then I might reach 50mpw but then I hate speed work so don't do it as often as I should.

1/Oct - 8.82 miles
    2/Oct - 1.58 miles
    3/Oct - 5.01 miles
    4/Oct - 7.18 miles
    5/Oct - 5.02 miles
    6/Oct - 3.30 miles
    7/Oct - 1.27 miles
    8/Oct - 2.05 miles
    9/Oct - Oxford Half Marathon
    10/Oct - 1.64 miles
    11/Oct - 5.05 miles
    12/Oct - 8.06 miles
    13/Oct - 4.04 miles
    14/Oct - 5.14 miles
    15/Oct - 13.16 miles
    16/Oct - 2.99 miles
    17/Oct - 1.68 miles
    18/Oct - 10.02 miles
    19/Oct - 6.52 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom it sounds like that other coach sees a lot of potential in Skip. That's really cool!

About weekly mileage, I'm just trying to build up a strong base so that, if I decide to try for a full next year, I'll have a very strong base to start from. That and I just love running.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom it sounds like that other coach sees a lot of potential in Skip. That's really cool!

About weekly mileage, I'm just trying to build up a strong base so that, if I decide to try for a full next year, I'll have a very strong base to start from. That and I just love running.

@mnlittlefinn Yeah times Skip runs now will get her into college running. I've looked a couple potential schools and she is easily running what their Freshman/Sophomores are running.