Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Thanks. I'll have to see if my local Target has one, so I can take a look at it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83, @untermrad and @9voice9 great races!
    @jodilynnsanders5104 reffing 7 hockey games sounds brutal even without getting decked!
    @HonuNui I always love your snorkeling photos even if they do make me jealous.
    @MNLittleFinn I'm glad you finally came the conclusion the rest of us all knew you'd finally come to ;) You can go old school if you want on that training log but there are great benefits to doing online. I use a spreadsheet on Google (Google Sheets) and I can access it from any computer or my phone. I can customize it, I can use it to plan out my training and easily change things later, I can sort it, I can color code entries to correspond to different workout types, and I can search for different terms...the benefits go on an on. But if paper is what you're looking for, go for it!
    @skippygirlsmom I'm super thrilled for Skip!!
    @zmcgrandles Ouch! sorry to hear about the calf!
    @ddmom0811 congrats on the amazing run! I'm in need of one of those soon!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just checking in - feeling a bit conflicted about my run this morning.

Yesterday was, of course, my rest day. I got to bask (and brag!) on my sub-30 5K from Saturday, but otherwise didn't do much. Got up and headed straight to the doctor's office for his vampire to get my blood for my upcoming annual physical. Found a good "working-man breakfast" joint, and had a great meal - really been craving eggs and stuff lately. I knew I needed to get some air in my low tire, but just about the time I got close to the tire place, wouldn't cha know it - it went completely out! Limped in, and had to sit around for an hour+ to get the new tire.

Didn't get to head out to run until after 11 AM, but was still planning on my 10-miler. It was cool (not quite brisk), so I was kinda excited to get at it, but apparently my brain just wasn't working this morning. Forgot my headphones, forgot my seat towel, forgot my sunglasses.... Headed out anyway (too busy to go back home and get that stuff and make the rest of my schedule), and just couldn't find my consistency. First mile (which always lies, right?) was decent - 9:40, all running, but it was WAY faster than I wanted to be, and I just couldn't get it dialed back! 10:02, 11:10, 11:06, 11:20 - by then I'd decided today was just not gonna be a 10-mile day. It's a shame, because it's my only day this week I can fit in an "extra" long-run, but ah, well. Tomorrow's another day and another run.

Anyway. Thanks for letting me share.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Seconded! There are worksheets every 4 "weeks" or so that I find helpful. And there's lots of room for notes and for reflections. Love mine!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 I just want to say you are amazing: with so much time on the skates, you could run 12k and swim so much after just 1 rest day!

@MobyCarp Your recovery program is starting to look like an accelerated C25k, except that, the C25k would have longer walking breaks (~3 minutes of walking between 5 minutes run). Do you think it might help you achieve more running times without hurting yourself?

@Elise4270 I pre-ordered the "Compete" journal you linked to (last month?) It certainly looked great. Can't wait. Now I start to wonder if I need both but DH may not be so thrill :sweat_smile:

@7lenny7 Congrats on your son's first deer!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double
    10/5 5 miles - 52.1
    10/6 10.5 miles - 62.6
    10/7 5 miles - 67.6
    10/8 17 miles - 84.6
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 13.1 miles - 97.7
    10/11 9 miles - 106.7
    10/11 4 miles - 110.7 << Daily Double
    10/12 5 miles - 115.7
    10/13 9.3 miles - 125
    10/14 4 miles - 129
    10/15 15 miles - 144
    10/16 REST DAY
    10/17 7 miles - 151
    10/18 7.25 miles - 158.25
    10/19 4 miles - 162.25
    10/20 7 miles - 169.25
    10/21 REST DAY
    10/22 14 miles - 183.25
    10/23 REST DAY
    10/24 10 miles - 193.25 << 10 below VT
    10/24 4 miles - 197.25 << Daily Double 4 below VT

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

I forgot to note in my earlier post that today I am really starting to be mindful about my paces and tracking how many splits are above or below ventilatory threshold (VT). I know a lot of you do HR and Zone training. I am not as fancy. I have a HRM but most of the time don't wear it. I am going to go by breathing rates instead and by feel. It really does take a lot of concentration to make sure you are not going to fast as I was catching myself many times in both my runs today. I am also concentrating a lot on my form during these easier runs. I saw a couple of videos last week that showed some good tips on good form that I was trying. One is to hold your hands up above your head (for a few seconds) as you run. It promotes that straight back that is inline with your neck and hips. Every so often I will check myself to make sure everything is straight. The second is to hold your hands straight out in front of you with hands chest level and try to minimize the horizontal (right left) movement. It promotes good efficient rotation in your hips. Really helped me. As always, I am also making sure my glutes are engaged and my shoulders are low and relaxed.

Tomorrow morning is Brueggers day so I have the speedy Cole & Scott that I expect to be joining. Hoping to keep keep the above VT pace at a maximum of 6 miles. If I run 65 miles, then according to the 80/20 philosophy, I should be able to do 13 total miles above VTP for the week. I am actually going to attempt close to 70, but we will see.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    That's cool info @Stoshew71 I'm definitely a HR guy, but the VT info sounds cool
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    That's cool info @Stoshew71 I'm definitely a HR guy, but the VT info sounds cool

It was mentioned as one of the studies that Matt Fitzgerald used as we was trying to confirm his 80/20 method.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 How do you go by breathing rates to track if you are going above or below VT? I don't have a HRM so I thought having one will help me make sure my easy run truly easy with some objective data instead of going by feel which could be mask by how I feel emotionally.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 How do you go by breathing rates to track if you are going above or below VT? I don't have a HRM so I thought having one will help me make sure my easy run truly easy with some objective data instead of going by feel which could be mask by how I feel emotionally.

The talk test is the biggest one. Can you hold a conversation with a real (or imaginary) running partner. Can you sing the lyrics to a song out loud without missing a beat because of breathing problems (bonus points if you can actually sing in key).

VT is that point in which breathing starts to become labored and heavy. It is believed to be triggered when the fast twitch muscle fibers start to get engaged. Lab studies have found that VTP and LTP are actually very close to each other. Some people actually consider them interchangeable despite that fact that 2 different things are being tracked.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @stoshew71 did you get in Oak Barrel? I talked to a friend who said if you registered for something like 3 out of the last 4 years you got to register early before the general public did. So she was able to register early.

This year I am not going to do Oak Barrel and probably not Bridge Street either. I am instead looking into the Kentucky Derby Marathon. It's my back up in case RCM doesn't go very well. I know a couple in my group that were invited to register early as well because they did it 3 out of the last 4. I heard it was sold out by 8 am on the day it opened to the general public. I may still go and watch and be there for the picnic, but I won't be running it this year.

@stoshew71 sounds like a good plan. I'll be hanging out at the finish line at RCM again this year. Skip is taking the ACTs so she won't be running track that day (indoor) so I volunteered for the finish line duty.

Skip wants to do Bridgestreet this year and try for Oak Barrel the next year. She is talking about training for a Tri after she graduates high school.

@7lenny7 sounds like all the right reasons not to run :smiley:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So, I'm totally old school, so I kind of want to get a paper running log/journal to document my prep/training for my first full. Anyone have good suggestions? Otherwise I might just use my blog space on here as well.
    @MNLittleFinn I love the "paperblanks" notebooks. They are note running specific journals, just regular notebooks. But so pretty I'm always looking for excuses to buy one o:) I especially like the versions with magnetic flap closure. Around here, they tend to sell them in bookstores too; maybe that's also the case where you live, if you don't want to buy online.
    My first ever running log was this one. And I like the ones that look like precious old books - hoping to get this one for Christmas for next year.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first race of 2017. The Securian Winter Run half marathon on January 28th in St. Paul, MN as part of their winter carnival. I found a $10 off promotional code making this HM only $40, which could be the cheapest HM I've seen. I imagine they have to make it cheap to get people to commit to coming out in the dead of winter to run. Swag includes a Brooks long sleeved tech tee, collector mug (past years mugs look pretty nice) and other miscellaneous stuff.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I just signed up for my first race of 2017. The Securian Winter Run half marathon on January 28th in St. Paul, MN as part of their winter carnival. I found a $10 off promotional code making this HM only $40, which could be the cheapest HM I've seen. I imagine they have to make it cheap to get people to commit to coming out in the dead of winter to run. Swag includes a Brooks long sleeved tech tee, collector mug (past years mugs look pretty nice) and other miscellaneous stuff.

I might have to check that out
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Catching up—
    @katejane83 - great time! And love the pictures.
    @9voice9 - awesome PR! You will do great with your 10k next weekend! :) For today’s run, sounds like your mind was just elsewhere. Tomorrow’s another day and run!
    @louubell16 - sorry you will miss the HM, but like you said lesson learned. Volunteering always puts me in a better mood too!
    @_nikkiwof_ - great job on your 5k time! When is your marathon?
    @mom3over40 - wow, beautiful sunsets!
    @kristinegift- wow 2017! Awesome!!!
    @stoshew71 - Good thing you had the cut back week. With those miles, I’d need a cut back month. :)
    @mobycarp - nice of Boston to remind you, since you are already in purgatory, I don’t think you have forgotten. :)
    @untermrad - 2 hours and a few seconds is great. And if you’d known you were so close you could have maybe sprinted. I’m not good at carrying a water bottle. I need to in the summer. I always end up gripping it too tight or something and come home with a sore bicep.
    @mnlittlefinn- marathon! woot!
    @7lenny7 - That is a great price! Between the bike rides that my husband and I do, and the runs I do, it is quite expensive. I hate running in the heat, but I could never run in a MN winter! I don't even think I could walk to the car from the hotel lobby.
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So, I'm totally old school, so I kind of want to get a paper running log/journal to document my prep/training for my first full. Anyone have good suggestions? Otherwise I might just use my blog space on here as well.
    @MNLittleFinn I love the "paperblanks" notebooks. They are note running specific journals, just regular notebooks. But so pretty I'm always looking for excuses to buy one o:) I especially like the versions with magnetic flap closure. Around here, they tend to sell them in bookstores too; maybe that's also the case where you live, if you don't want to buy online.
    My first ever running log was this one. And I like the ones that look like precious old books - hoping to get this one for Christmas for next year.

I chose blogspot.com for my "therunningstan" blog. There is even an app for your phone that you can download to use to publish to your journal/blog.

runningahead.com allows you to add notes to your run (and you could choose to keep a note private). I am not sure if Strava or GC has this feature as well, but if they do you could use that as well.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I'm not even running and I want to order the new books! I'm usually due for a new Believe journal in March. But looks like I'll be getting some excuse out of this one with the 4-5 month break.

@kristinegift It really is laid out nicely! Pace charts, the check ins, the race plans, the goals, and training tid bits... Just awesome.