October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun Congrats on you first half. Many things to learn. You can't learn without racing though.

Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1 - 5.9 km - Easy - Niggle in left IT band
    October 2 - 11.9km - Easy - Calves a little tight, fine after warm-up
    October 3 - rest
    October 4 - 6.7 km - Tempo - Fine, no pains
    October 5 - 6.2 km - Easy - Fine, taper fine, wanna go fast
    October 6 - 7.0 km - Easy - Very fine
    October 7 - 5.0 km - Easy - Springy, rested legs
    October 8 - 5.0 km - Easy - Ready to race
    October 9 - 21.1km - Race - Dead legs are dead
    October 10- rest
    October 11- rest
    October 12- rest
    October 13- rest
    October 14- rest
    October 15- rest
    October 16- rest
    October 17- 6.1 km - Easy - Tight calves
    October 18- 8.0 km - Easy - Tight calves AND tight IT band, probably DOMS
    October 19- 7.5 km - Easy+ST - I was right, it's just DOMS
    October 20- 6.0 km - Easy+Drills
    October 21- 7.2 km - Easy+ST
    October 22- 8.0 km - Easy and 1000 m trial (3:10,6)
    October 23- 10.3km - Easy+Drills
    October 24- rest (xt)
    October 25- 11.5km - Easy+ST

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better 
    10/4: Body Pump and 3 more slow miles
    10/5: 3.1 mile run / 1.7 mile Social run/walk through my gym with my kiddo
    10/6: Body Pump
    10/7: Yoga and Tried out my new Foam Roller
    10/8: 14 Miles (6 with Hubby running and Kiddo bicycling)
    10/9: 5 Miles
    10/10: 3 mile trail run with the family
    10/11: 7 minutes of Core, Body Pump, 30 minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/12: 4 Mile run turned into 1.87 after a huge wipeout
    10/13: 3 Mile Walk
    10/14: 3.1 Mile Run
    10/15: 10 Mile Run. Planned to go 12, but my hamstring started acting up around Mile 5. It didn’t hurt bad, but it wasn’t normal, so decided to cut my run short. 
    10/16: 45 Minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/17: 45 Minutes (12 Miles) of Stationary Bike
    10/18: Body Pump and 30 minutes (7.5 miles) on Stationary Bike
    10/19: 60 minutes (15.6 miles) on Stationary Bike
    10/20: 3 Mile Run / It was a chilly 75 degrees with a strong north wind. I didn’t break a sweat at all!! Still had discomfort with the hamstring though. Ugh!!
    10/21: Rest Day
    10/22: 3 mile slow run with the kiddo: still discomfort / 15 minutes row machine, 45 minutes (12 miles) Stationary Bike
    10/23: 5 mile run on Zero Runner – Wish I tried this sooner, but I thought I’d still have pain when bending my knee.
    10/24: 3.1 mile run on Zero Runner / 10 minutes of Row Machine

77.8 miles of running / 59.1 miles on Stationary Bike – Eliminated goal due to leg pain

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

Another run on the Zero Runner last night with absolutely no pain. The cysts feel like they are getting smaller. When I try jogging a bit, it seems like the discomfort is lower. The cysts will probably disappear right before my doctor appointment so I look like an idiot. But if they are gone and I go back to being pain free, I'm super good with that!

@Orphia Congrats on the Bloody Long Walk!!

@RunRachelleRun Congrats on your 1st Half Marathon!! You finished, and that is quite the accomplishment in itself. Think of all the non-running people we know that can’t even fathom running a 5K much less 13.1 miles!! Well done!

@HeatherMN A cat who likes the shower? He could be a YouTube sensation!! LOL! ;) My cat that drank from the faucet could do “The Matrix” (running along walls) when it came to avoiding water. Once she got in the fireplace with quite a bit of ashes so our pretty orange tabby was now shades of grey. We tried giving her a bath, and she fought and fought…eventually escaping. Years later, we tried giving her a flea bath when my step son brought home a “free kitten” that gave us the gift of fleas. That’s when she literally ran along the walls of the tub to avoid the water. It was quite impressive and we then sought out options other than a flea bath…that was obviously not happening.

@MNLittleFinn Glad it’s all official now!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I was hoping "breathing rates" would mean something more systematic, like how many breaths you take in a minute that I could count :sweat_smile: My struggle with conversational/singing pace is that, there are long sentences and short sentences and there are people who sings with only breathing at the end of a line and there are those who breaths in every two words. Is the whole range consider conversational? Or, is it only when I could talk the same way as I were sitting down? If it is the latter, then, I need to slow down even more. What’s more confusing then, is that big gap between this pace with, say, my 5k race pace. Or, perhaps, this is exactly it, I have been running a little too fast in my easy runs and the pace gap never gets closer? I have a feeling that I may ask this question again and again many times until one day I finally accept that my conversational pace is really slow...

@MobyCarp I was thinking a longer walking break would give the legs/muscle more time to rest before the next run interval. Kind of like in some lifting program, they would suggest a 1-minute break in between warm-up/easier sets and 3-minute break when the weight gets heavy so the body can rest and be ready for the next set. Just a thought. In any case, hope you recover well. You have been an inspiration!

@Elise4270 My problem is that I hardly write on journals: they are too pretty for my handwritings :)

@Orphia What a great way to catch up with friend by participating a meaningful event together!

@RunRachelleRun Congrats on finishing your half!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Has anybody run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati? I'm considering making it my spring marathon, though I kind of wish there was another close-ish marathon in the first half of April. Any suggestions? For reference, I'm located in central Ohio.

@OSUbuckeye906 The only other marathon I know about in your area is the USAF marathon and is in mid September. Only know that because I knew a guy who used to be on here from your area who ran both. For the rest of you, that's the same guy who ate McDonald's right in the middle of the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon. BTW, the Kentucky Derby Marathon is in latish April and I am thinking of doing that one. That may be kinda close to you. I know he also did the Pittsburg Marathon, but not sure when that is.

EDIT: (read your comment to me in same posts after posting this).
    I am racing that one because it's a very flat course and not too bad of a drive for me. I have a full that is local to me in December that I am attempting to BQ at. But it has about 450 ft total ele gain. So I am thinking of the KDM either being a backup or a chance to improve my time even better.

MobyCarp wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn - If your off season MPW are higher than the starting MPW for the marathon training plan you're looking at, there are a couple of things you could do. You could skip a week or two and start where your MPW are; or you could look for a more aggressive marathon training plan. Or you could just chill out and enjoy being more prepared than the plan calls for. Don't ask me which is the best option; I haven't figure out what's the best way for me to prepare for a marathon.
    @MobyCarp I'm actually thinking I'll do the chill and take it easy option. If I feel it's not enough I can always add more time/miles in, but cutting back a bit to begin training wouldn't be bad. My winter base building should have me in good shape for marathon training come mid February, looking at 18 weeks of training plan running.

I am of the opinion of getting the mileage buildup as much as possible while you can now. The more big long runs (18 miles or more) you can get in before your race, the better prepared you will be, which means a better experience you will have on race day. Put in the work now so you can enjoy race day. Wait to start the plan now, and you may get stressed out when you actually execute the plan because unforeseen circumstances prevent you from actually following the plan.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Has anybody run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati? I'm considering making it my spring marathon, though I kind of wish there was another close-ish marathon in the first half of April. Any suggestions? For reference, I'm located in central Ohio.

@OSUbuckeye906 The only other marathon I know about in your area is the USAF marathon and is in mid September. Only know that because I knew a guy who used to be on here from your area who ran both. For the rest of you, that's the same guy who ate McDonald's right in the middle of the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon. BTW, the Kentucky Derby Marathon is in latish April and I am thinking of doing that one. That may be kinda close to you. I know he also did the Pittsburg Marathon, but not sure when that is.

Sadly, the Pittsburgh marathon is always on the same weekend as the Flying Pig (1st Sunday in May). Sad because it is my hometown and on my bucket list, but I somehow always end up getting caught up in the excitement of the Pig and have not yet made it to Pittsburgh for the marathon. The Kentucky Derby marathon is usually the weekend before.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did a nice stretching and foam rolling session yesterday followed by weight lifting then this morning tried just the dynamic stretches per everyone's suggestions, even some of the new ones. Felt pretty good going out for my run but for some reason just couldn't seem to loosen up and my knee was hurting still so instead of 3.5 I did 2.5 very slow. Not thrilled but I'm still hoping I'm just old lady sore from Sunday's long run.....LOL

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills
    10/03 – Rest Day
    10/04 – 2.1 mile horse trail run with dog – testing out the new Garmin
    10/05 – 3.31 miles horse trail run with dog – looks like Garmin is about 7-8 bbm higher than my Polar
    10/06 – 95 min strength training
    10/07 – 3.6 miles horse trail run with the dog – AVG HR 146
    10/08 – Rest Day
    10/09 – 4.52 miles at the park – longest run yet – AVG HR 147
    10/10 – Another Rest Day……ugggghhhh
    10/11 – 3.1 miles horse trail run – Fastest 5K yet – AVG HR 147
    10/12 – 3.1 miles horse trail run plus a 3 mile walk this morning
    10/13 – 4 mile walk along the river trail
    10/14 – 95 min strength training
    10/15 – Spent the day at the Aquarium of the Pacific………..lots of walking
    10/16 – 4.6 mile horse trail run – AVG HR 143 but I did run one very steep hill and it got up to 160
    10/17 – 100 min strength training
    10/18 – 3.1 mile horse trail run – One big hill – AVG HR 136 a nice recovery zone for me I guess
    10/19 – Rest Day
    10/20 – Another Rest Day……….uggghhhh
    10/21 – 3.1 mile park run after an 80 minute strength training session, trying to make up for the extra rest day
    10/22 – Worst week ever for rest days and changes in plans………..uggghh
    10/23 – 5 mile trail run – Even though I didn’t add up the miles this week I still managed my longest run and fastest 5K within that 5 miles. I’m ecstatic and surprised.
    10/24 – 90 min strength training
    10/25 – 2.5 mile recovery road run – AVG HR 120

exercise.png

On a positive note I'm close to this month's goal.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for that input. I guess I am starting a "plan" now, making a hybrid between McMillan and Fitzgerald. Basically using the HR data from Fitzgerald and the mileage/workout schedule from McMillan to plan a winter rotation that builds up my mileage. My goal is to be in the mid to upper 40 MPW range by the time I'm about 16 weeks out from the Marathon, and start building more on that.

McMillan has 4 week "modules" in his book that give ideas for adding weeks onto a training plan. I'm looking at adding a rotation through all 3 modules, base mileage, base workout (with speedwork) and hills base (hill repeats yay!) to add onto his 12 week marathon plan, so I end up with something like 24 weeks of training, and then figure out from there where/how to fill things in.

Does that all make sense?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @mom3over40 lol! By my handwriting, I should have been a doctor. Just embrace it. I love looking back at runs.

I leave notes for family members, nope they can't read it. I'm not even allow to make grocery lists. I think they are just being difficult.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am so far behind on everyone's activities! Sorry.

@skippygirlsmom - Congrats to Skip! You may need to change your name to speedygirlsmom!
    @HeatherMN - I love GOTR! My daughter had her practice 5k last night as well...took 10 minutes off her PR!
    @RunRachelleRun - Congrats on the first HM!
    @KatieJane83 - That 10k sounds fun! Good job!
    @MNLittleFinn - jumping on the Marathon bandwagon? Congratulations! I am considering the same for next fall...not quite there yet. Mostly worried about finding the time for long runs as it approaches.
    @untermrad - Congrats on the first HM! I'd call 2:00:05 "two hours"...no one will know!
    @MobyCarp - sounds like things are improving! Keep at it, but don't push too hard. Plenty of time before Boston.
    @Orphia - The Bloody Long Walk...that's the best event name, ever!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey hey hey!!!, Welcome back @WhatMeRunning !!!!! Good to see you here again!

This is a link to my favorite race calendar. It seems to be the most complete, at least for my area and has a fantastic filter for your search.

http://www.runningintheusa.com/

They show 27 marathons for Ohio.

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?Rank=All&Special=marathon&State=OH&Page=1

In the advanced search you can search by county within the state.

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I am of the opinion of getting the mileage buildup as much as possible while you can now. The more big long runs (18 miles or more) you can get in before your race, the better prepared you will be, which means a better experience you will have on race day. Put in the work now so you can enjoy race day. Wait to start the plan now, and you may get stressed out when you actually execute the plan because unforeseen circumstances prevent you from actually following the plan.
    ^ this! This is a lesson I learned. An Achilles injury 5 weeks before my full put a serious hurt on my training. I was only able to get in 24 tentative miles in the three weeks that followed, so when I was supposed to be tapering I was trying to build back up and ran 31 miles the week before the race. Thankfully I did have two 20+ milers in by that time. Since I have so much time for my ultra coming up in April I plan on starting my "official" training in mid-November after some time off for hunting and visiting my daughter. Starting that early I have enough time where every other week is a cutback week. If something comes up or I have an injury, I can modify my plan as needed and not feel like I'm missing a crucial part of training.

You don't want to stretch out a big training plan so much that you burn out, but there is value in in stretching it out by several weeks.

@BeeerRunner glad you're able to find some pain free cardio! I battled a Baker's cyst after getting some of my torn meniscus cut out. I didn't think it was every going to go away.

@HeatherMN kudos for working with Girls on the Run! Such a great organization! My wife's friend volunteers with GotR and finds it very fulfilling. Good luck to your son deer hunting this year! We were out for the youth firearms season last weekend. have you looked into that? It's every year over MEA weekend and they can do it through the age of 15. Only one year left for my son, unfortunately. And finally...the promo code for getting $10 off the Securian races is SWRFB17. It's good through the end of the month and works for each of the races. I found it on the race Facebook page. (ETA: Tagging @MNLittleFinn in case he wants to join the fun)

@orphia what a great weekend you had!
    @RunRachelleRun it's different for everybody. If there's no acute pain and you're up to it, a nice recovery run will get the blood flowing, the muscles warmed up and the body...well...recovering.

No running for me yesterday. Still a pain in a bad part of my Achilles that I want to settle down. So far so good today so I'm planning 5+ miles in the cold rain tonight.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @7lenny7 IF I actually do the McMillan 6 run a week plan I'm thinking about (I'm currently at 6 runs/week) the Long Runs start at 16 miles (actually it says 16-20) and jump to 18-20 the 4th week of the 10 week program. My goal is to be where I'm running 14-16 mile Long Runs before I get to that time, so I can make good use of the sheer volume of mileage the plan offers (dependent on the LR being at/under 35% of weekly mileage)
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So, I feel pretty good other than having DOMS in my quads still today - they are better, but stairs are no fun at all. Any guidance for how many days I should take off before I get back to easy running? Wait until the hurting stops?

You can do a short mileage very slow recovery run (or even walking) if you want. For me, those slow recovery runs actually help with the soreness and actually quicken the recovery period. Just make sure that the soreness doesn't effect your mechanics. If you cannot run with good form, then don't run at all. Rest instead.

EDIT: Just realized, do I recall you doing your first half over the weekend, right? Walking for the first few days is the best advice for a post race reverse taper. Then slowly build in some easy miles. It may take about 2 weeks before you build back into the type of mileage you did before your race. You can also google "reverse taper half marathon". I think there may be some specific things you can follow.

@Stoshew71 @7lenny7 IF I actually do the McMillan 6 run a week plan I'm thinking about (I'm currently at 6 runs/week) the Long Runs start at 16 miles (actually it says 16-20) and jump to 18-20 the 4th week of the 10 week program. My goal is to be where I'm running 14-16 mile Long Runs before I get to that time, so I can make good use of the sheer volume of mileage the plan offers (dependent on the LR being at/under 35% of weekly mileage)

@MNLittleFinn That sounds like a decent plan then. Not your typical 18 week (beginner) plan. Make sure your LR is between 25-35%. That is another big fault I find with some of these plans.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I was hoping "breathing rates" would mean something more systematic, like how many breaths you take in a minute that I could count :sweat_smile: My struggle with conversational/singing pace is that, there are long sentences and short sentences and there are people who sings with only breathing at the end of a line and there are those who breaths in every two words. Is the whole range consider conversational? Or, is it only when I could talk the same way as I were sitting down? If it is the latter, then, I need to slow down even more. What’s more confusing then, is that big gap between this pace with, say, my 5k race pace. Or, perhaps, this is exactly it, I have been running a little too fast in my easy runs and the pace gap never gets closer? I have a feeling that I may ask this question again and again many times until one day I finally accept that my conversational pace is really slow...

Yes on the bolded part.

As far as easy pace verses any other race pace.

Whatever distance you can finish at race pace in 1 hour, that is roughly your LT or tempo pace.
    So if you can do a 5K in 45 minutes (with nothing left in the tank), then you probably can race a 7K a little over an hour. (try finding a 7K race). Your tempo pace would be about (I am roughly estimating) a 14:45 min/mile pace. As the distances get shorter, the pace get's slightly faster than your tempo pace. As the distance get's longer, your race pace get's slightly slower.

Some people can do a 10K in about an hour. That would make their LTP or tempo ~9:39 min/mi (or 6 min/km). Based upon that, they can probably run a 5K at a 9:18 min/mi pace and a HM at 10:13 min/mi (according to the McMillian Calculator).

Now going by feel: So your tempo pace will be comfortably hard. You will no longer be breathing at a normal conversational pace. Your breathing will begin to start getting labored, but you are not hyperventilating. It is a controlled but labored breathing. If you run your tempo pace (on even ground, little to no headwind, decent temperature 50-60 degrees & low humidity, fully rested, little stress, no significant injuries or soreness) then you should have no problem maintaining that pace for about an hour despite the labored breathing. Your HR will be around 80-90% of your Max HR. That is your tempo pace. So any race shorter than that (take you less than an hour) your effort will be slightly greater than your tempo, and anything that will take you longer, most definitely have you starting out where your breathing is not labored initially.

I hope that helps.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    October Running Challenge

2nd - 13.19 miles
    5th - 3.01 miles
    6th - 3.14 miles
    8th - 3.05 miles
    9th - 5.22 miles
    11th - 3.11 miles
    13th - 5.24 miles
    15th - 3.5 miles
    16th - 2.79 miles
    18th - 3.35 miles
    20th - 3.56 miles
    22nd - 5.32 miles
    23rd - 5.20 miles
    25th - 3.24 miles

MTD - 64.92/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon - DNS
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71 McMillan writes all his easy runs as minutes run, so there's plenty of room for me to play with the distances to make things work. Only tricky part might be having to run some DD's to make sure I get the mileage in, since 10 would probably the max I can get in before work. I'm going to work VERY hard to do what I can to keep all my LRs under 30% of weekly mileage, so I can have some buffer there.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @mom3over40

Here's another prospective on pacing in general. The first say 30-60 seconds of your run/race (depending on your level of fitness) will seem very easy no matter what pace you are running (unless you are doing some kind of insane Usain Bolt pace). That is because your body is using the spare ATP and the creatine phosphate system to fuel that run. This not only requires no oxygen (anaerobic) but also uses no sugar or carbs. It's your body's easy access energy. It's the system that weight lifters rely on the most to bang out 8-10 bench presses. Once you use that up, then your body relies mostly on glycolysis to fuel your run which doesn't require oxygen but does use sugar. Once you start using glycolysis, your body will immediately go into oxygen debt mode. That is when you notice your heart racing and your breathing elevated. This is to allow your body to start pumping more oxygen into your blood to get to your running muscles so that your aerobic system (Krebs Cycle & ETC) to catch up with your anaerobic system (glycolysis). If you are running at a pace that Krebs & ETC cannot maintain, then you will never recover from your breathing and eventually excess lactate & hydrogen ions will decrease the pH in your muscles and blood and forces you to fall apart in your run. You will break down and start walking. How long it will take depends on your fitness level combined with the intensity effort that you are trying to maintain.

If you are running an effort that Krebs and ETC (that's your aerobic system) can easily maintain, then oxygen debt goes away and you begin to start clearing any lactate that glycolysis caused and you can start breathing normal again. If you are running exactly the level of effort that your aerobic system can maintain, then you are running exactly at your lactate threshold and you should be able to maintain that for about an hour (despite the labored breathing) as I described in my earlier post. At that point, so many different factors begin to take place. Things like sodium/potassium imbalances start to occur, your muscle fiber recruitment ladder rises from slower twitch muscles to medium twitch to fast twitch muscles, neurological signal crossing, reduced blood sugar and glycogen stores, and so many other factors to numerous to contain.

So the bottom line: it is very difficult to determine if you are running the right pace within the first minute or so (unless you know by experience). You kind of have to know what your body is supposed to be able to do for a certain distance, and then stick with that for a few minutes. The first few seconds will seem very effortless (even if you are running too fast) then the few couple of minutes after that will be just the opposite (seem very difficult) until your body eventually settles into what it is capable of doing. If you start off too fast, you will definitely know it within 3-5 minutes. If you are running a good easy pace, you should be able to settle into that within 3-5 minutes.

Hopefully that helps a little more.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Calvin2008Brian