Do I really need to weigh food?

Options
13»

Replies

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't always weigh, because i get free food at work, so i dont weigh my veggies or cottage cheese, we have portion plates that ive measured only fit half cup.
    But at home, i weigh meat which can be tricky to guess, and also things like chips, the bag says 12 chips, have you ever looked in a bag of lays? some are 4 inches, some are 4 cm wide.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My advice is do what works for you. I don't weigh very much of my food. I'll weight meat, steaks, or pork chops, and a very few other things, that I can't tell or estimate.

Otherwise, I use what it says on the package, or what I find on the net. A medium Apple...80 calories. Good enough for me.

I also lift light weights in the morning and afternoon. 2 sets each time, 6 different routines and I do not log any of those calories as burned. I think that buys me maybe a couple hundred calories of error in my food logging..

It has worked for me so far. I like the Keep it Simple method. Others weigh everything.

Whatever works for you.

I wish you success on your journey.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A useful trick if you choose not to weigh your food is to sort of limit the foods you routinely eat. I have a mental list of maybe 7-10 things that I mostly eat. For me, this is because I have small children and can't afford the mental energy to feed myself otherwise- but it also helps with my accuracy over the big picture. (And I eat adventurously at restaurants or when there are two parents home.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    If you're not progressing, then yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    mikevfr wrote: »
    I know that a lot of people do but I don't. I'm just cognizant that there are going to be times where I'm inputting a meal and I am most likely eating more calories than MFP says that I am. Because of that, I have my activity level set to sedentary (I also work a desk job) and I don't eat my exercise calories back.

It's worked for me.

Ditto.

I do weigh loose stuff but I don't double check packet weights.

I weigh everything, including pre-packaged items.

This morning I had a Pepperidge Farm Multigrain Roll. Package said that the serving size was 1 roll (50g). The roll I had actually weighed 60g. It was a difference of 24 calories. Being off by that much would wreak havoc with my day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I got pretty far without it, and even now I don't weigh everything. However, the more you lose, the smaller you margin of error gets, so it can be very helpful.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You don't need to but if you want than you can.
    If you want to lose weight than eat not more than 1/3 rd of your stomach and drink not more than 1/3 Rd of your stomach. And don't eat more than 3 times a day. You will be suprised of the results you see.

Not sure I follow the stomach thing.

And the amount of times you eat per day has no relevance to weight loss. It all comes down to *how much* you eat, not when you eat it. :)