A fair question about "eating clean"

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
For those of you that "eat clean" and also take a protein/whey supplement...

How does that work? Isn't "eating clean" about eliminating processed foods?

Isn't protein powder a processed food? I mean how do you get from a soy bean to something that looks like powder?

Read the ingredients on most protein supplements...

Here is my question: Why take a processed protein supplement instead of eating peanut butter, eating whole nuts, eating eggs or egg whites or tofu? Even tofu...it's a processed food.

I guess I'm trying to understand why the lines of clean eating are so fuzzy...that's all.

Replies

• MSeel1984
    Options
    Intrigued that nobody is responding.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued that you mentioned "clean eating" and there's not 3 pages of emotional outbursts at one another.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued that you mentioned "clean eating" and there's not 3 pages of emotional outbursts at one another.

Just wait, it's bound to happen!
  • MSeel1984
    Options

LoL-that's why I was surprised nobody was responding. It's a "hot button" topic on the forums.

This is a legit question. I mean...if clean eating is about eliminating processed foods, how come many people who follow a "clean eating" pattern also take a protein supplement? Why not get protein from natural sources instead of processed ones?
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

.................wait for it.....................
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I always wondered that myself.

But not all clean eaters consume "protein powders" or they eat clean 80-90% of the time and the powder would be the other 10% I suppose. I guess it depends on the individuals definition of clean.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i spray windex into my protein to make it clean. lol
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I think no one is responding to this because it looks like bait. The wording of the question is very rhetorical.

itwJYwF.gif
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I always wondered that myself.

But not all clean eaters consume "protein powders" or they eat clean 80-90% of the time and the powder would be the other 10% I suppose. I guess it depends on the individuals definition of clean.

OK...that makes more sense.

I just know that the clean eaters I've encountered on the forums and on MFP in general consume a protein powder/supplement at least once/day. I was confused because it seems contradictory.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat clean.... I wash my fruits and vegetables before eating and follow the 3 second rule if I drop food on the floor. Does that count?:laugh:
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options

when-i-overhear-a-couple-start-to-argue-in-a-restaurant-16299.gif
  • MSeel1984
    Options

Not really a bait. It just seems like a contradiction to follow a diet that focuses on whole foods with minimal processing then once a day to consume a supplement that is quite processed.

Here is how I think of processing foods...

How many steps does it take to take the food from the whole form in which it is naturally found to get to the step in which you are about to consume it?

Corn --> corn flakes
    Rice--> rice milk
    Soy beans --> Protein powder

?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I would not ingest any protein powder ( and at age 65 there is no danger that my caloric output as a world class athlete is so high to have to resort to protein powder, because otherwise I could not eat enough ) and never have. I would increase my protein intake through natural foods. Others may of course eat as they please......
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am also shocked that this thread isn't already 4 pages long of "OMG!!!!!" debates.

To answer OP's question...

All I know is what I do. I don't know if it's right or wrong but it works for me. I try to keep my diet clean probably about 80% of the time. I try to keep fast food, packaged/processed stuff to a minimum or if I do eat processed foods, it's stuff like protein bars and whey protein. To me, that kind of processed food still has enough nutritional value in it that I'm ok with eating it even if it isn't clean. I would love to be in a place in my life where I have the time to devote to making sure I have adequate protein sources available for post workouts, etc but I don't. I work A LOT, like many other people. Sometimes, I need food, and I need it 5 minutes ago. In comes the protein shake/bar, which to me is better than rolling through a fast food drive thru somewhere. I suppose that doesn't make me a real clean eater, but I'm ok with that.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I think the very conscientious eaters probably don't use protein powders or bars. I personally have no problem hitting my desired grams of protein by eating it. Some people might have a harder time hitting theirs and it may be an area where they make concessions. Who knows? Not sure why the infatuation over nitpicking his subject to death. This horse has been killed more than a few times already this week. :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm trying to understand why the lines of clean eating are so fuzzy...that's all.

Because they're fuzzy. There are hundreds of different definitions. And there are definitions of definitions of definitions in the arguments, and all are debatable.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    i spray windex into my protein to make it clean. lol

LOVE IT!:laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I am also shocked that this thread isn't already 4 pages long of "OMG!!!!!" debates.

To answer OP's question...

All I know is what I do. I don't know if it's right or wrong but it works for me. I try to keep my diet clean probably about 80% of the time. I try to keep fast food, packaged/processed stuff to a minimum or if I do eat processed foods, it's stuff like protein bars and whey protein. To me, that kind of processed food still has enough nutritional value in it that I'm ok with eating it even if it isn't clean. I would love to be in a place in my life where I have the time to devote to making sure I have adequate protein sources available for post workouts, etc but I don't. I work A LOT, like many other people. Sometimes, I need food, and I need it 5 minutes ago. In comes the protein shake/bar, which to me is better than rolling through a fast food drive thru somewhere. I suppose that doesn't make me a real clean eater, but I'm ok with that.

Thank you for a serious answer. I'm sure I'll get plenty of debating and angry tirades, but as long as I get a few serious answers I'm happy.

My thing is this: for the most part, I love whole fruits and vegetables...but...how processed is processed? I am discovering there is a broad range of options with clean eating. Some people are fine eating something like Baked blue corn tortilla chips (one of my favorites) with salsa. Other people consider that too processed...

I'm just trying to figure out what constitutes eating clean and when it starts to turn into something else.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

when-i-overhear-a-couple-start-to-argue-in-a-restaurant-16299.gif

Any time now...