A fair question about "eating clean"

Options

Replies

• T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    From what I can see, "clean eating" is a term thrown around ad nauseum. It's subject to endless interpretations, and a lot of us here are bored and tired of this term/topic. IMO, processed doesn't always mean it's bad for you. Short term, nothing is "bad" for you, unless it's outright toxic or poisonous, allergies or medical conditions notwithstanding. Think mercury or rat poison.

The stigma with the term "processed", is that food is usually changed because the food processor is formulating for optimal texture, flavour, and transport/shelf stability at a certain price point. Most people don't eat for nutrition, it's for satiety and overall pleasure, and the market responds.

Note that I didn't mention nutrition in any of the above. Hence, to achieve the above, the "good stuff" is beaten out, not maliciously just to achieve the above objectives. In the case of whey protein, the target consumer IS eating for nutrition, so nutrition and optimal macros (from the customers' perspective) are the goal.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My thing is this: for the most part, I love whole fruits and vegetables...but...how processed is processed? I am discovering there is a broad range of options with clean eating. Some people are fine eating something like Baked blue corn tortilla chips (one of my favorites) with salsa. Other people consider that too processed...

I'm just trying to figure out what constitutes eating clean and when it starts to turn into something else.

Why do you care? Are you hosting a "clean eating party"?

That was rude and unnecessary. Perhaps OP is wondering if clean eating is an option for her.

It was an honest question. Trying to define "eating clean" is a black hole of despair, especially in this forum. If the OP has some reason - such as trying to prepare food for someone who wants to "eat clean" - then seeking a definition might be worthwhile. Otherwise, prepare to get into arguments about chewing = processing, and there's really no difference between hydrogen dioxide and MSG.
  • liwallac
    liwallac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think the difficulty is that there doesn't seem to be a universally agreed upon definition of eating clean. But if we use common sense we can probably guesstimate. Fr example if we eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and fresh ,eats, fish and seafood we can probably eat within the safe boundaries of clean eating. Most processed food is probably not great for us except n very limited quantities. It will be interesting to hear from others on this topic.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    For those of you that "eat clean" and also take a protein/whey supplement...

How does that work? Isn't "eating clean" about eliminating processed foods?

Isn't protein powder a processed food? I mean how do you get from a soy bean to something that looks like powder?

Read the ingredients on most protein supplements...

Here is my question: Why take a processed protein supplement instead of eating peanut butter, eating whole nuts, eating eggs or egg whites or tofu? Even tofu...it's a processed food.

I guess I'm trying to understand why the lines of clean eating are so fuzzy...that's all.

I got a comment, unless you butchered it, or grew it yourself, you really don't know what was used in your food.

A frightening but very real comment.

An aside but still related: this is a concern for those with celiac or severe nut allergies...because many things are processed in the same place...(cross-contamination)

Also with those scares with produce a while back (I think spinach and tomatoes were a concern a while ago/years ago with salmonella/e-coli)...

Interesting point.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    My thing is this: for the most part, I love whole fruits and vegetables...but...how processed is processed? I am discovering there is a broad range of options with clean eating. Some people are fine eating something like Baked blue corn tortilla chips (one of my favorites) with salsa. Other people consider that too processed...

I'm just trying to figure out what constitutes eating clean and when it starts to turn into something else.

Why do you care? Are you hosting a "clean eating party"?

That was rude and unnecessary. Perhaps OP is wondering if clean eating is an option for her.

It was an honest question. Trying to define "eating clean" is a black hole of despair, especially in this forum. If the OP has some reason - such as trying to prepare food for someone who wants to "eat clean" - then seeking a definition might be worthwhile. Otherwise, prepare to get into arguments about chewing = processing, and there's really no difference between hydrogen dioxide and MSG.

Well let me put it to you this way: I love LOVE peanut butter. Delicious!...but many would consider it to be processed, even if it's natural (the kind I buy has to be stirred first). Is peanut butter considered a clean food or not?

I just guess there's so many definitions floating around out there I'm trying to understand.

This week I've been preparing healthy foods...lots of vegetarian dishes...

I'm trying to understand the benefit of eating clean vs what i'm doing already.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I think the difficulty is that there doesn't seem to be a universally agreed upon definition of eating clean. But if we use common sense we can probably guesstimate. Fr example if we eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and fresh ,eats, fish and seafood we can probably eat within the safe boundaries of clean eating. Most processed food is probably not great for us except n very limited quantities. It will be interesting to hear from others on this topic.

I've already gotten some very interesting and helpful information.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is clean and delicious. Nutella is also clean and they are wonderful together.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    I'm intrigued that you mentioned "clean eating" and there's not 3 pages of emotional outbursts at one another.

lol...could not have said it better myself....to each their own I say, .....find what works for you.....this is just a never ending battle that has many different views and opinions...
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    peanut butter is clean and delicious. Nutella is also clean and they are wonderful together.

LoL fact.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    I eat clean.... I wash my fruits and vegetables before eating and follow the 3 second rule if I drop food on the floor. Does that count?:laugh:

nice..LOL
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    You're kinda mean.

Huh?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Who does things 100%?
    I think if you only 'eat clean' (Which to me is like produce and meats not coated) 40% of the time, great for you! That 40% will help you get the vitamins and minerals you need. I think it's more that so many people now a days live on TV dinners and fast food (Guilty on the TV dinners) that just cooking naturally is seen as clean.

Protein powder helps your muscles not get completely stripped. I haven't found any other way to get 53 grams of protein without eating about 600 calories of chicken or peanut butter.

Just my opinion :)
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I haven't found any other way to get 53 grams of protein without eating about 600 calories of chicken or peanut butter.

Just my opinion :)

That's my problem. Would TOTALLY eat 600 calories worth of peanut butter given the chance...shouldn't...but totally would.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I went Paleo to deal with fibro, so I really try hard (except for my ice cream on Saturdays, which comes from Cold Stone, full fat, real sugar), to avoid soy like the devil (due to phytoestrogens), and as much dairy as possible. I use pure dried egg whites as a supplement in my green smoothies. It doesn't pack as much punch as the whey powders made for body builders, but it has enough to help me stay on track with no added ingredients. I buy the kind made for baking, and not for supplement shakes because a) it's a LOT cheaper, and b) it has no added soy lecithin.

I have yet to meet anyone who claims to do Paleo or even Primal 100%. I am glad of this. I am feeding a family of four. The three ectomorphic males are still eating grains and sugar. I cook Paleo dinners, and make a side of grains for them. I couldn't afford to buy all organic or all grass fed, pastured meats. So I don't. But I'm not relying on Stouffers and Bertolli to feed my family any more, and that is probably a good thing :wink:
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat clean.... I wash my fruits and vegetables before eating and follow the 3 second rule if I drop food on the floor. Does that count?:laugh:
    This was a constant with my mother-in-law. She always wanted to have all kinds of sauces and processed things. I would say that I preferred to eat clean,meaning as unprocessed as possible. Everyone that came in she would ask if they ate dirty food. I gave up trying to explain.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I know one whole "clean eater" who consumes protein powder. His definition of "clean" doesn't mean unprocessed. Or he would never eat flour, or meat, or sauces, or any vegetables he didn't pick out of his own garden. His deal is with additives that he doesn't deem necessary. Whatever protein powder he uses only has a couple ingredients and he knows what they are and what they do.

Not that I actually believe this isn't "bait" of some sort. But I can pretend this is purely an educational discussion, too ;)

Well I'm grateful you don't believe it's a bait like some people do. It's a legitimate question.

And you actually provided me with some good information...Some people consider clean eating to be nothing processed...others consider it to be no additives...

One interesting thing to note is that there's a farmer's market at work every Friday at work. I buy produce from them but have found (unfortunately) that the produce spoils rather quickly...the stuff from the grocery store doesn't. Obviously there are additives or preservatives in most produce (particularly things like bagged lettuce)...it's frustrating because it can be a waste of money to buy things that are completely untouched.

Rinse your mold-prone food in vinegar before putting it in the fridge:
    http://www.foodlushblog.com/2011/07/the-key-to-preventing-moldy-berries-vinegar.html

And store your veggies properly:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-grayson/eco-etiquette-how-do-i-st_b_1704465.html
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I went Paleo to deal with fibro, so I really try hard (except for my ice cream on Saturdays, which comes from Cold Stone, full fat, real sugar), to avoid soy like the devil (due to phytoestrogens), and as much dairy as possible. I use pure dried egg whites as a supplement in my green smoothies. It doesn't pack as much punch as the whey powders made for body builders, but it has enough to help me stay on track with no added ingredients. I buy the kind made for baking, and not for supplement shakes because a) it's a LOT cheaper, and b) it has no added soy lecithin.

I have yet to meet anyone who claims to do Paleo or even Primal 100%. I am glad of this. I am feeding a family of four. The three ectomorphic males are still eating grains and sugar. I cook Paleo dinners, and make a side of grains for them. I couldn't afford to buy all organic or all grass fed, pastured meats. So I don't. But I'm not relying on Stouffers and Bertolli to feed my family any more, and that is probably a good thing :wink:

That's another point I was curious about. I love things like grass fed bison and things like elk, venison and fish (trout and bass-delicious)...but now that I don't live out west anymore (I'm originally from Montana), a lot of the things I'd love to be eating (catching my own bass or getting wild game from friends that hunt) is not as easy as it used to be. Those same foods cost a fortune where I live now...

So I can't always afford to buy "clean" things like meats, etc.

I guess my own definition of eating clean would be low sugar, limited additives/preservatives, and trying to avoid eating animal products treated with hormones, etc.

I recently started doing my shopping at Trader Joe's and have found some great foods there that have fewer additives/preservatives.

I try to limit sugar in the first place because of the "diabeetus" :(
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    I think a lot of people who start eating a more natural / vegetarian / vegan diet turn to supplements because they're at a lost of where to get their protein. I was vegetarian for 10 years and in the beginning drank a protein shake everyday until I realized I could get protein from other sources. Plus when I read the ingredients on the package and couldn't pronounce half the words, I started to wonder just how good for me the supplement was.

It always seem like whenever people start a new diet plan they get a little bit pious. In order to make themselves feel better about their plan they turn their noses in the air and judge others. Doesn't matter if its paleo, low carb, vegetarian, clean, etc. People always want to believe their way of eating is better than everyone else's.

I did Weight Watchers more times than I can remember and always laughed when someone was judged because they ate packaged snacks or frozen meals. For shame!

Why does there need to be rules. While I like eating foods with less chemicals and eating more veggies, I'm not going to pretend like I don't eat the occasional frozen food or chip. Some days, like today, it's just easier.

No diet, or person, is ever perfect.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I think a lot of people who start eating a more natural / vegetarian / vegan diet turn to supplements because they're at a lost of where to get their protein. I was vegetarian for 10 years and in the beginning drank a protein shake everyday until I realized I could get protein from other sources. Plus when I read the ingredients on the package and couldn't pronounce half the words, I started to wonder just how good for me the supplement was.

It always seem like whenever people start a new diet plan they get a little bit pious. In order to make themselves feel better about their plan they turn their noses in the air and judge others. Doesn't matter if its paleo, low carb, vegetarian, clean, etc. People always want to believe their way of eating is better than everyone else's.

I did Weight Watchers more times than I can remember and always laughed when someone was judged because they ate packaged snacks or frozen meals. For shame!

Why does there need to be rules. While I like eating foods with less chemicals and eating more veggies, I'm not going to pretend like I don't eat the occasional frozen food or chip. Some days, like today, it's just easier.

No diet, or person, is ever perfect.

That's a big part of why I posed this question. I do love whole foods (fruits, veggies, eggs, meat, etc), but I know me and I'd struggle with getting rid of some "processed" foods like ice cream, cheese, blue corn chips, peanut butter, etc
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    why post this? is it that hard to just worry about your own diet and not what everyone else is eating?

Please read previous posts.
    I did, I guess I'm just not buying that your intentions are as noble as you say they are! But hey, I'll take your word for it!
    To actually answer your question, I am trying to eat *cleaner* (I don't care what you call it) and I've been making protein shakes lately as well as eating a lot of protein rich foods (because I like them)! I'm probably getting more protein than I actually need, but I'm full all day and everything I eat tastes good to me.

I don't go around claiming to eat clean though, but I am working on eating an 80/20 which of course leaves a little room for indulgent food. A lot of people follow that, maybe they count their protein powder in with the 20%?

Idk, it's processed obviously, but I feel a lot different after drinking my protein shake (I make it with skim milk, greek yogurt, a banana and a scoop of chocolate protein powder) than I do after eating taco bell (which I love also but am trying to cut down)!

Well and my question about the protein supplement/powder is also a personal one.

I have Type I/ "Juvenile" diabetes and have since I was 15. I have had some concerns about early signs of kidney damage.

Overloading on protein is a concern for me because it can make what are now small problems much worse.

I was intrigued by the idea because it is such a common topic on the forums-then when I started some of these new Pilates routines, the creator of the website is big advocate of eating clean.

But I know me, and I know I'd struggle too much with never eating any processed foods (like I mentioned, blue corn tortilla chips with salsa or pico de gallo...one of my true weaknesses), so I know I could never go completely 100% clean...

A protein shake in the morning (berries, protein powder, greek yogurt, etc) sounds like a fantastic idea for me to try to eat before I go to work/after I work out in the morning...but again, the idea of getting large amounts of protein would worry me a bit because of my kidney issues.

Thank you for taking my question seriously. I'm not sure how I could have phrased it that people would not have had one severe reaction or another.

Thanks.
    To be fair, I assumed you were trying to start something because a lot of people on the forums do that on purpose and not just because of how you worded it, so sorry for assuming!

I don't have any health issues that require me to closely watch my diet, I'm just (recently) trying to eat less processed food to see if it gives me more energy and helps my weight loss. One thing I will say, I get to eat a lot more this way! lol