Anybody have excellent butter substitutions?

Options

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The only real substitute for butter is much higher quality butter.
    This! I use Kerrygold which is the only decent easy-to-find butter sold in my part of the US.

Use less butter and nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron cookware.
    Use less butter and substitute the remainder with an unflavored oil like canola.
    Use less butter or a vegetable oil and season well with herbs and spices.
    Use extra-virgin olive oil for low temperature cooking or toss steamed veggies in it after cooking. Different flavor, but still good.
    Substitute lard. Just kidding.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    I only use real butter. Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I use margarine for some foods I cook for my sister, but there is no contest for baking. Use real butter.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance Original (vegan) but there are other options as well like Olive Oil, Soy free etc.

Yummy I don't miss butter at all.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Earth Balance Original (vegan) but there are other options as well like Olive Oil, Soy free etc.

Yummy I don't miss butter at all
    Ya got my vote for Earth Balance Olive Oil spread, they sell stick for baking as well.
    Earth Balance Mindful Mayo Dressing with Olive Oil is fabulous as well!
    EB_SPR_EVOO_SOYFREE_0-33776-01186-4.pngEB-EVOO-Mayo-280x280.png
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is an excellent substitute.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Yummy I don't miss butter at all.

Yes but why did you replace the real good thing with imitation? You aren't saving cals or much else?

I know this wasn't exactly directed toward me..... :laugh:
    I didn't quit butter for Earth Balance I buy both for different uses.

I bake using butter or EVOO in my recipes, depending. I also use coconut oil and a few others.

Not often a rapeseed user unless it's in something and I'm unaware. I did notice the links up above so I'll read up and see what I learn.

I hear so much on Canola Oil it's a bit confusing. @crazyravr You seem knowledgeable... what's your take on canola oil?

• Hearts_2015
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My take on canola or any other cheap veggie oil is that I dont use it. Ever. :)
    Also I am far FAR from knowledgeable haha :)

Thanks for your input, yea yea I've read some of your posts... you can't back out of it that easily. :wink: @crazyravr

I appreciate your feedback as I read your profile earlier, you cook, you use only good ingredients, yea I'd say there's some knowledge there. ;)
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking something like muffins or quick bread, you can substitute applesauce for all oils/fats.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using butter?

I like coconut oil or olive oil but when butter is useful I use it.
  • Joannevee2016
    Joannevee2016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Earth Balance, like butter.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    vanmlller wrote: »
    Well I can't under stand why you would not want to eat butter.....olive oil, coconut butter or ghee...we know eating a high fat diet with low carbs no sugar.... = healthy weight lose ....
    Diet foods are franken foods and they make us fat.... check movie ...hungry for change... I do this myself and I promise it works ....and its healthy ...you don't have to suffer to balance your body ...you can loose weight enjoy food and be happy ...amazing but true ...
    No, eating too many calories makes us fat.
    And, one doesn't have to low carb/cut out sugar to lose weight.
  • Ferdie2016
    Ferdie2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    Butter bud sachets. I use them to mix into things.http://www.lakeland.co.uk/6744/Butter-Buds®-40-Sachets-Of-Dried-Low-Fat-Butter

I second Butter Buds. I use the one that come in a shaker container. Delicious on veggies!
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    Options
    I use olive oil in a mister...it works great, spray it on salads, use it for pans when cooking, love it, got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm of the camp of butter is not the enemy. However, a good diet makes you decide how *much* you really love your butter in the whole scheme of eating healthy. If you really love your veggies sauteed in butter, go for it--but you'll need to take calories from somewhere else.

Another thought is to try new ways of preparing food. For instance, cooked or roasted veggies tossed with garlic and a little olive oil instead of sauteed.
  • BeautifulLoser1985
    BeautifulLoser1985 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found "butter buds" or something similar in canada or US?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Our favorite alternative is Colavita olive oil. It's great on popcorn. It helps to keep our saturated fat consumption under control and ups our mono-unsaturated fat consumption. But there's always butter in the butter dish on the counter.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My take on canola or any other cheap veggie oil is that I dont use it. Ever. :)
    Also I am far FAR from knowledgeable haha :)

Canola oil, especially expeller-pressed canola oil, has its uses. For example, stir frying in olive oil or butter for a good Chinese-esque meal is just wrong, flavor-wise. It's also good for re-seasoning the cast iron when it's sat too long wet. Canola oil has the advantage of being the lowest in saturated fats of the many different vegetable oils. It's also relatively high in omega-3 fatty acids.

As to "cheap veggie oil," be it canola or others, it may be cheap because the process of making it used heat and chemicals that tend to destroy the nutritional benefits of the oil. Go expeller-pressed when possible. Trader Joe's has a reasonably priced expeller-pressed canola oil.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If a recipe calls for butter or fat for flavor, I've often found that I can use half as much--sometimes even less--and it will still taste good.

If you're just looking to keep food from sticking to your cookware, the best recommendation I have is a well-seasoned cast iron pan.
  • txmm227
    txmm227 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Italian dressing for a lot of veggies.