Additional exercises to walking?

Options
Hi Everyone, I am currently two months into trying to lose weight. I walk about 5-6 days a week, ranging from 3miles-5miles (on a good day) when I go. I have seen results on the scale, but I was wondering if this is something that will let me see results long term? What additional exercises to walking do you recommend?

Replies

• ChristinBuss
    ChristinBuss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same here...I know I have to at least add some strength training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The main thing with weight loss is your calorie deficit, so while your walking can help contribute to managing that deficit, you don't need to do it.

The main contribution of exercise is the fitness benefits that you get. Walking gives you some cardiovascular benefit, supporting your aerobic conditioning.

There are two areas to think about with exercise, your cardiovascular health and your body composition. Walking is adequate, but won't really stress your CV system, so it might benefit you to migrate at some stage to something that elevates your heart into the moderate range; rowing, cycling, running etc. Lots of options, particularly if you feel the need for something like video to help. Needn't take long, 20-30 minutes of moderate intensity will do quite a lot. More sophisticated stuff gives additional benefit, but of little value to most people who aren't competing.

Some form of resistance training can be helpful in deficit to retain your lean mass, so helping you to improve your bodyfat percentage. My personal preference is for bodyweight training and suspension training as I can fit it into my training plan easily. Lots of people get very religious about lifting heavy in a gym. You need to find what works best for you. I find gyms quite boring, but I can stick my suspension trainer in my camelbak, run 5k or so out to the park and do my resistance training there before running home. Essentially I'm more likely to do it with that approach.

The big thing is to find something you enjoy doing, to help assure that you do it. There's no point in doing something that you don't enjoy. With that in mind walking is perfectly reasonable.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you enjoy doing and what your long term goals are.

If you are exercising just to improve your overall cardiovascular fitness walking is great, it's low impact and something that you can do pretty much forever. For variety you could add cycling and swimming - both excellent choices (I'm biased towards running but it's not everyone's cup of tea.....)

Adding resistance training of some sorts will help (as mentioned above) with maintaining lean muscles mass (something we lose naturally as we age unless steps are taken to reverse the loss) and strength training can also help with maintaining bone density. There has been some very interesting research that strongly suggests that strength training can help mitigate many of the indignities associated with aging (not quite the fountain of youth but close)

How about taking up a sport you enjoy? There are a surprising number of adult leagues (competitive and recreational) for practically any sport you can think of. For me it was joining an old-timers soccer league that got the ball rolling (pardon the pun..).

The choices are virtually limitless.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking, increasing distance and pace, before moving onto the C25K programme to get started running.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I walk, use the elliptical, and do yoga. I'm seeing an increase in strength and noticing that things are becoming easier over time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Same here...I know I have to at least add some strength training.

This^

Walking can be great for cardiovascular (heart & lungs). But strength training will help you keep lean muscle mass (ie: lose a higher % of fat) and is also great for your bones.
  • DSeanHunt
    DSeanHunt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ...Walking is adequate, but won't really stress your CV system...

I'm going to have to differ on this. Whether or not walking will stress your CV system is going to depend on how out of shape you are and how hard you push yourself. If you're like me, and are REALLY out of shape and just starting an exercise program, just walking for a few minutes will really get things pumping. My cardiologists and family doctor all say just get up and get moving.

So, if you're already in comparably good shape, walking alone may not do you much good. But, if you're really out of shape and just starting an exercise program, it can be quite a workout if you push yourself.

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am currently two months into trying to lose weight. I walk about 5-6 days a week, ranging from 3miles-5miles (on a good day) when I go. I have seen results on the scale, but I was wondering if this is something that will let me see results long term? What additional exercises to walking do you recommend?

If you are able, try to dial up the walking by adding some intervals. Some fast walking or jogging for limited period then walking, etc. Zumba or other cardio is fun if you can do it. Swimming, water aerobics... Try adding some strength training 2 - 3x per week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    DSeanHunt wrote: »
    ...Walking is adequate, but won't really stress your CV system...

I'm going to have to differ on this. Whether or not walking will stress your CV system is going to depend on how out of shape you are and how hard you push yourself. If you're like me, and are REALLY out of shape and just starting an exercise program, just walking for a few minutes will really get things pumping. My cardiologists and family doctor all say just get up and get moving.

So, if you're already in comparably good shape, walking alone may not do you much good. But, if you're really out of shape and just starting an exercise program, it can be quite a workout if you push yourself.

OK, fair point. Although it shouldn't take more than about 8 weeks until it's not all that taxing to walk for thirty minutes.

That said, the originator is already walking a reasonable amount, at 3-5 miles per day.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Get on YouTube!!!!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Are you able to put some jogging into your walk? Or maybe some body weight exercises at points in your walk? (Push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, etc...)
  • bmxtrackmom
    bmxtrackmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read once that If you only do cardio your body will become a smaller shape of what it is now. In order to change your shape you have to do strength training. I have a pear shape...I don't want to just become a smaller pear...so I lift weights.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and carefully some upper body strength training. Make it easy and doable at first with something like modified wall push ups, or regular push-ups. Just make it something you can and will do. You can progress as you feel yourself getting stronger.
  • inspiresj47
    inspiresj47 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the ideas everyone. Its not easy to jog distance because I am pretty big lol, but I have added hills into my walking and try to race up them.