Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

A question for diabetics.

124»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    That's fascinating about coffee. Never heard that. What is going on with that?

As I said earlier, there are dozens of things that can affect BG. Coffee doesn't have carbs to directly raise BG. However, caffeine leads to a short term (100 - 180 min.) decrease in insulin sensitivity. In other words, BG does not decrease as much for the insulin as it should. That is not to be confused with an increase in BG... technically a lack of decrease is an increase, and that is what a person would notice. But the cause behind it is related to a lack of sufficient removal of glucose and not an addition of glucose to blood.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Wow. Thanks for that explanation. Naturally, I'm wondering about the mechanism for reducing insulin sensitivity and other foods that do that, too.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Why high carb diet recommendations for diabetics is horrifying. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/end-organ-damage-t2d-17/
  • Neonblu_
    Neonblu_ Posts: 6 Member
    As a type one I can eat whatever I want with insulin. Not sure how it works with type two but it could be the case.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member

The way @gieshagirl specifically called out "sugar" leads to the understanding that the diabetics she is talking about are somehow unable to take insulin to cover "sugar" and that they should abstain from "sugar." In fact, sugar is like any other source of net carbs in this regard. And diabetics can eat "sugar" and any other carbs - bread, rice, potatoes, etc. by taking insulin. For type 1's, taking insulin is just manually completing the exact same function that a non-diabetic's pancreas performs without thought. So if the argument is that a type 1 shouldn't eat "sugar" or carbs, then the same argument applies to all homo sapiens.[/quote]

sugar isnt the enemy...not carb counting correctly or at all is the enemy. the people I deal with is high school age to adult. compliance is a huge issue. they seem to have the idea that they can eat anything they want, guesstimate the carbs and dose for that....9 times out of 10 they guesstimate to much and OD the insulin and then have a week of swings and drama. if they would just check it and count and dose per orders this would not be an issue....but that isn't what I get to see or have to call ambulances for.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    gieshagirl wrote: »

The way @gieshagirl specifically called out "sugar" leads to the understanding that the diabetics she is talking about are somehow unable to take insulin to cover "sugar" and that they should abstain from "sugar." In fact, sugar is like any other source of net carbs in this regard. And diabetics can eat "sugar" and any other carbs - bread, rice, potatoes, etc. by taking insulin. For type 1's, taking insulin is just manually completing the exact same function that a non-diabetic's pancreas performs without thought. So if the argument is that a type 1 shouldn't eat "sugar" or carbs, then the same argument applies to all homo sapiens.

sugar isnt the enemy...not carb counting correctly or at all is the enemy. the people I deal with is high school age to adult. compliance is a huge issue. they seem to have the idea that they can eat anything they want, guesstimate the carbs and dose for that....9 times out of 10 they guesstimate to much and OD the insulin and then have a week of swings and drama. if they would just check it and count and dose per orders this would not be an issue....but that isn't what I get to see or have to call ambulances for. [/quote]

I can understand, but then the issue is either 1) Incorrect bolus ratios, 2) Failure to properly estimate carbs, or 3) One of the dozens of other factors affecting BG.

So why specifically mention sugar? And why suggest that diabetics should not be consuming sugar if you already know that isn't correct?