Stronglifts 5×5

Options
Anyone ever try this??? I felt funn doing only 5 reps and 3-4 sets. It even recommends not doing any other weight exercises.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yep. Love it!!! But it's five sets of five reps. Hence the 5X5 part. Have you downloaded the app to your phone to track your progress at the gym? It will help you track your weights and reps. As you get to heavier weights, you'll see why you're only doing that much.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    *runs around yelling 'I LOVE STRONGLIFTS'*
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting this today. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • ashleysayque09
    ashleysayque09 Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    yassss!!!! Im trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, so ive been doing strong lifts. And really getting into powerlifting. <3<3 it!!!!

trying to find community and ppl to do it together with :)

[Link removed by MFP Staff]
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since February. I follow the app to the letter. I am not doing any other exercises. It absolutely works. I'm in my mid 50's and I'm developing the body I always wanted.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent beginner program. But realize that it's 5 sets of 5 reps at working weight. As you progress, you'll also have warm up sets before you start your work sets.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    It's an excellent beginner program. But realize that it's 5 sets of 5 reps at working weight. As you progress, you'll also have warm up sets before you start your work sets.

This.
    If you start with the bar for most exercises (except deadlift) body weight reps are a good way to warm up. Don't count your warmup reps as a part of the 5x5.

I love SL5x5 too.
  • pondee629
    Options
    As good as my word, I started SL5x5 yesterday. Gotta admit, felt a little like the old man I am, squatting and benching an empty bar. The 65 pound row was a little harder, but I got through all of the first day barely breaking a sweat and breathing hard. Gotta believe that this is just the easy start meant to prevent overuse injury in the beginning. Off from lifting today, scheduled for a 5 mile run outside and then back on Thursday.

Almost seems too easy/simple to be effective.

Is there a SL 5x5 group?
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've decided to start this, downloaded the app, read tons and tons of glowing praise for it. And for some reason whenever I go to the gym I run on the treadmill instead. WHAT is wrong with me!?
  • pondee629
    Options
    I've decided to start this, downloaded the app, read tons and tons of glowing praise for it. And for some reason whenever I go to the gym I run on the treadmill instead. WHAT is wrong with me!?

Getting started is the hardest part of any routine. Just got to WTH it and start.

On the plus side the first session was kinda easy for me. Squatting and benching an empty bar. The 65 pound rows were just a little more challenging.

Set your mind to starting, if that's what you want to do, and start. The app does make it easy to keep track. ;-)
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be easy at first. Concentrate on your form because the weight will get heavy very quickly. When you get to the heavier weights 5x5 will wear you out!
    I've been doing SL5x5 for almost a year and switched to 3x5 for squats a few months ago to keep my legs from being to tired to train for a half marathon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's a great beginner program.

I've been doing it for about 4 months now and am a lot stronger than I was when I started. It's simple, it's structured and it's effective but keep in mind it's a strength program not a bodybuilding program.

As a runner I find doing squats 3 x weekly to be problematic when my weekly mileage is peaking during a training plan but now that I'm in the off season running about 40km / 25 mi per week it's all good.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    As good as my word, I started SL5x5 yesterday. Gotta admit, felt a little like the old man I am, squatting and benching an empty bar. The 65 pound row was a little harder, but I got through all of the first day barely breaking a sweat and breathing hard. Gotta believe that this is just the easy start meant to prevent overuse injury in the beginning. Off from lifting today, scheduled for a 5 mile run outside and then back on Thursday.

Is there a SL 5x5 group?

You start off ridiculously light, so, don't worry, it will get harder. Right now, your main focus is building technique. Actually research online for the proper form for those exercises and take some time to work on perfecting while the weight is low. You don't want to figure out you have bad technique once you are trying to lift the heavy stuff.
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what is the name of the app that you are using?
  • pondee629
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

Is there a SL 5x5 group?

You start off ridiculously light, so, don't worry, it will get harder. Right now, your main focus is building technique. Actually research online for the proper form for those exercises and take some time to work on perfecting while the weight is low. You don't want to figure out you have bad technique once you are trying to lift the heavy stuff.

I thought so, but it was where the app told me to start. Being new at this, I'm just going to follow instructions.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    what may be ridiculously light for you can be challenging for other people just beginning the program.

really though, even if it feels light, i agree with @GauchoMark that now is the time to really focus on form. if 45 pound squats are easy then focus on making them perfect because when things get difficult it will be your form that saves you from failure and injury.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    blwelch1 wrote: »
    what is the name of the app that you are using?

Stronglifts 5X5. You can download it at stronglifts.com.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    what may be ridiculously light for you can be challenging for other people just beginning the program.

really though, even if it feels light, i agree with @GauchoMark that now is the time to really focus on form. if 45 pound squats are easy then focus on making them perfect because when things get difficult it will be your form that saves you from failure and injury.

No literally you are supposed to start at a weoght that is very easy.45 lbs is just a suggestion.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

Is there a SL 5x5 group?

I thought so, but it was where the app told me to start. Being new at this, I'm just going to follow instructions.

Start where the program says you should start. The low weights are meant to allow you to work on form, so while they are low, and they go up quickly, do just that. Pay really close attention to how you are doing the exercises. If you can take video of yourself doing them to review afterward, that would be good as well.

Edit:
    The times I found people didn't get good results from Stronglifts was when they didn't follow the program exactly either starting with heavier weights or not increasing weights the way they should have. Just a note, with Overhead Presses you may want to get fractional plates because 5 pound increases get really difficult with them.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yea, I guess I should clarify - I'm not suggesting that you make it more challenging. You NEED to start out ridiculously light! You can, however, do more than 5 sets or increase reps as you like to help nail down the technique if you are getting through the workout without breaking a sweat.

Just remember that while you are light, technique is the goal. If you start straining or getting unstable any at all, you are pushing yourself too hard too quickly.