Best way to lose belly fat ?

Options
I have recently gained 12 pounds. I have been working out and just stared eating healthy. I've been doing cardio (cycling). Any other great suggestions to lose belly fat? Please help

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Is "belly fat" a fad? This term was unknown ten years ago. Now all of a sudden everyone has belly fat. What happened with just saying you're overweight?

Yes it was...
  • nylm2016
    nylm2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn to lose overall fat. For body recomp I do strength training with only spurts of cardio and it works wonders to tighten everything up
  • Hope2416
    Hope2416 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've seen quite a bit of lit on this, am encouraged by it & agree. Plus, I have a problem w my feet, so cardio ability is limited. Thx for sharing, needed it immensely!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    No need to overthink it: Calorie deficit and patience. That's it.

*nods*
    Weigh your food, too. Eating 'healthy' doesn't always lead to weight loss. And exercise isn't needed for weight loss, either.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have recently gained 12 pounds. I have been working out and just stared eating healthy. I've been doing cardio (cycling). Any other great suggestions to lose belly fat? Please help

Eat a calorie deficit and be patient.
  • Starrydance07
    Starrydance07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also had this tough problem for many years, and recently I've lost a lot of fat from my belly.
    1.aerobic exercise(runing and rope skipping are my favorites)
    2.anaerobic exercise(I do Insanity)
    3.Last but not least,eating habits,eating habits,eating habits !:# Low sugar,low oil, low salt,and: Fewer portion than before. Now crude fiber food,veggies,low sugar fruits are my main cuisines. No cakes,no biscuits,no chocolates ,no potato chips:#
    4.Adjust the sitting and walking position.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Chadxx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just lose weight...you can't spot reduce fat...it comes off from wherever in time.

This is true. You cannot spot reduce fat but leveling your blood sugar does help some. The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut. It is from binging on carbs. I used to have that issue but, even at the same weight, my stomach is flatter when I eat right.

Huh? Please share some studies for your claims.

http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/eat-your-way-better-sleep

Here you go.

Cliff notes: High glycemic foods increase cortisol and cortisol increases the storage of visceral fat.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/stresscortisol.html
  • Chadxx
    Options
    "High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise."

It doesn't get much plainer than that.

The second article discusses the effects of cortisol and research is referenced at the bottom of the page. You can find plenty of references that high glycemic foods increase cortisol and that increased cortisol causes increased storage of visceral fat. Believe it or not but I will go by the people with PHD's. If you have proof otherwise, you are welcome to argue with them about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    "High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise."

The second article discusses the effects of cortisol and research is referenced at the bottom of the page. You can find plenty of references that high glycemic foods increase cortisol and that increased cortisol causes increased storage of visceral fat. Believe it or not but I will go by the people with PHD's. If you have proof otherwise, you are welcome to argue with them about it.

You didn't provide proof.

I will take peer reviewed studies, which you have not provided to back up your claims.

If cortisol levels are high enough to cause a fit athlete to carry a belly, then they need medical attention.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is true. You cannot spot reduce fat but leveling your blood sugar does help some. The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut. It is from binging on carbs. I used to have that issue but, even at the same weight, my stomach is flatter when I eat right.

Huh? Please share some studies for your claims.

This is hardly conclusive, however...

There was a larger decrease in visceral fat area measured by computed tomography in the low carbohydrate diet group compared to the high carbohydrate diet group [both 1000 kcal per day]
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15331203

Also..

Participants who consumed the lower-carbohydrate diet had 11% less intra-abdominal fat than did those who consumed the lower-fat diet.. during weight-maintenance conditions
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4264021/

:+1:
  • Chadxx
    Options

You didn't provide proof.

I will take peer reviewed studies, which you have not provided to back up your claims.

If cortisol levels are high enough to cause a fit athlete to carry a belly, then they need medical attention.

I forgot, you are on the Internet so you obviously know than people with PHD'S and I am not going to read through all their references for you. Where is your peer reviewed research? You are so convinced that I am wrong and want detailed research for proof yet you have shown nothing to back up your claims.

Also, there are degrees of having a belly and there a huge amount of variation between big flabby gut and tiny washboard stomach.