Options

Replies

• ClicquotBubbles
    ClicquotBubbles Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    "High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise."

It doesn't get much plainer than that.

The second article discusses the effects of cortisol and research is referenced at the bottom of the page. You can find plenty of references that high glycemic foods increase cortisol and that increased cortisol causes increased storage of visceral fat. Believe it or not but I will go by the people with PHD's. If you have proof otherwise, you are welcome to argue with them about it.

You didn't provide proof.

I will take peer reviewed studies, which you have not provided to back up your claims.

If cortisol levels are high enough to cause a fit athlete to carry a belly, then they need medical attention.

I forgot, you are on the Internet so you obviously know than people with PHD'S and I am not going to read through all their references for you. Where is your peer reviewed research? You are so convinced that I am wrong and want detailed research for proof yet you have shown nothing to back up your claims.

Also, there are degrees of having a belly and there a huge amount of variation between big flabby gut and tiny washboard stomach.

*ahem*:| Most of the posters on here do have PHD'S; multiple PHD'S :| just sayin .....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    "High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise."

The second article discusses the effects of cortisol and research is referenced at the bottom of the page. You can find plenty of references that high glycemic foods increase cortisol and that increased cortisol causes increased storage of visceral fat. Believe it or not but I will go by the people with PHD's. If you have proof otherwise, you are welcome to argue with them about it.

I will take peer reviewed studies, which you have not provided to back up your claims.

If cortisol levels are high enough to cause a fit athlete to carry a belly, then they need medical attention.

I forgot, you are on the Internet so you obviously know than people with PHD'S and I am not going to read through all their references for you. Where is your peer reviewed research? You are so convinced that I am wrong and want detailed research for proof yet you have shown nothing to back up your claims.

That's not how this works. ;)

If you make a scientific claim, it's up to you to provide credible evidence supporting your claim or garner the response you did.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell swings and diet
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    This is true. You cannot spot reduce fat but leveling your blood sugar does help some. The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut. It is from binging on carbs. I used to have that issue but, even at the same weight, my stomach is flatter when I eat right.

Huh? Please share some studies for your claims.

This is hardly conclusive, however...

There was a larger decrease in visceral fat area measured by computed tomography in the low carbohydrate diet group compared to the high carbohydrate diet group [both 1000 kcal per day]
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15331203

Also..

Participants who consumed the lower-carbohydrate diet had 11% less intra-abdominal fat than did those who consumed the lower-fat diet.. during weight-maintenance conditions
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4264021/

:+1:

Those are some whacked macro splits they used!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Also, there are degrees of having a belly and there a huge amount of variation between big flabby gut and tiny washboard stomach.

Hey now.....that's not very nice. :D

The onus is on you to provide peer reviewed studies because you made the claim, your example being that cortisol can cause fit athletes to have big bellies. Maybe this can happen to a fit athlete who has a medical condition.

To the general population, the hope in a calorie deficit is to shrink a growing belly along with the rest of us, and where the weight comes off is up to genetics.

Just because someone has a big belly does not mean their cortisol levels are going wild, and if that's the case it's time for a visit to the doctor. Ever seen cancer, severe malnutrition, and other diseases?
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just lose weight...you can't spot reduce fat...it comes off from wherever in time.

This is true. You cannot spot reduce fat but leveling your blood sugar does help some. The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut. It is from binging on carbs. I used to have that issue but, even at the same weight, my stomach is flatter when I eat right.

Huh? Please share some studies for your claims.

http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/eat-your-way-better-sleep

Here you go.

Cliff notes: High glycemic foods increase cortisol and cortisol increases the storage of visceral fat.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/stresscortisol.html
    So exercising and lifting weights should increase fat storage too because cortisol is increased in these activities as well?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Let's use just a bit of logic for a second. Those are activities that cause us to burn fat and deplete energy store. Wouldn't the good outweigh the bad?
  • Chadxx
    Options

The onus is on you to provide peer reviewed studies because you made the claim, your example being that cortisol can cause fit athletes to have big bellies. Maybe this can happen to a fit athlete who has a medical condition.

To the general population, the hope in a calorie deficit is to shrink a growing belly along with the rest of us, and where the weight comes off is up to genetics.

Just because someone has a big belly does not mean their cortisol levels are going wild, and if that's the case it's time for a visit to the doctor. Ever seen cancer, severe malnutrition, and other diseases?

I never said it causes a big belly. I believe I used the word gut. Having a bit of a gut and having a big belly not the same.

Now, I truly mean no offense when I say this, but I don't know you from a hole in the wall. All I see are letters on a screen. If you really want to dig through research papers, check references, and see what is peer reviewed and suits you, go right ahead. It isn't worth my time to do it. I offered advice which matches my own experience and provided evidence to support it. OP, you or anyone is free to take that advice or discard it as they please. It won't affect my waistline one bit either way.
  • Chadxx
    Options

That's not how this works. ;)

If you make a scientific claim, it's up to you to provide credible evidence supporting your claim or garner the response you did.

I guess a paper from a university by multiple PHD'S and study references isn't credible. If someone needs more evidence than that, they can dig through research themselves.

BTW, there is no how it works. This is the Internet where there are a bunch of people behind keyboards and they are all experts in everything. Advice given on the Internet is just that. Take it for what it is worth and with it what you will.
  • Chadxx
    Options

I never said it causes a big belly. I believe I used the word gut. Having a bit of a gut and having a big belly not the same.

Now, I truly mean no offense when I say this, but I don't know you from a hole in the wall. All I see are letters on a screen. If you really want to dig through research papers, check references, and see what is peer reviewed and suits you, go right ahead. It isn't worth my time to do it. I offered advice which matches my own experience and provided evidence to support it. OP, you or anyone is free to take that advice or discard it as they please. It won't affect my waistline one bit either way.

Chad,

Oh for goodness sake. Within the context of this thread of the conversation, it's crystal clear that that belly/gut are being used interchangeably. ;)

I'm not at all offended. Your "evidence" simply does not support your claims, but those links contain much broscience.

Obviously we are talking about the same part of the body. That shouldn't even be a question. The point is I never mentioned a big anything. I never said there is a dramatic difference in anything. I said what "can help". Other evidence has also been brought forward supporting that claim. Call it broscience all you want. You can even claim a jelly donut diet and a broccoli and fish diet won't be any different. I will stick to what I have seen work and stop wasting my in what has turned pointless. Good night.
  • GaBullDawg2
    GaBullDawg2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A couple of things with this. First, our body has different types of fat cells. Not all belly fat is bad? Subcutaneous fat, whichlies directly under the skin, is not necessarily hazardous to your health. The fat that is harmful is the unseen fat around your organs, otherwise known are visceral abdominal fat. ... Visceral fat is linked to diabetes and heart disease much more than BMI (body mass index.) Risk factors including blood pressure, cholesterol and insulin sensitivity are not improved with loss of subcutaneous fat , even from a liposuction procedure. If you want to get rid of visceral fat and lower your risk for heart disease and diabetes, start with cutting down on your calories and getting more exercise. When people slim down through exercise and diet, visceral fat disappears twice as fast as subcutaneous fat according to Dr. Klein, Professor of Medicine and Nutritional Science at Washington University School of Medicine. So, what it comes down to is simple math. Use more calories than you put into your body. Exercise to help that, but mostly exercise to better your health, strength, flexibility and cardio vascular system. Losing weight is mostly an eating thing, unless you are a very serious athlete, like Michael Phelps, who had a 12,000 calorie diet, but as you can see, worked it off. Best of luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Chad,

Oh for goodness sake. Within the context of this thread of the conversation, it's crystal clear that that belly/gut are being used interchangeably. ;)

I'm not at all offended. Your "evidence" simply does not support your claims, but those links contain much broscience.

Obviously we are talking about the same part of the body. That shouldn't even be a question. The point is I never mentioned a big anything. I never said there is a dramatic difference in anything. I said what "can help". Other evidence has also been brought forward supporting that claim. Call it broscience all you want. You can even claim a jelly donut diet and a broccoli and fish diet won't be any different. I will stick to what I have seen work and stop wasting my in what has turned pointless. Good night.

You're mincing words. This is what you said:
    The more your blood sugar spikes, the more fat is stored in the abdomen. This why you see athletes in great shape who still have a gut

Saying someone has a gut is saying it's at least out of proportion to the rest of their body. ;)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And eat within your proper macronutrients ratios

Keep up the exercising but you must eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight

There's no way to specifically lose belly fat though- except maybe to reduce stress and cut out caffeine & alcohol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

A ton of things cause cortisol levels to rise, including: exercise, work, marriage, kids, traffic, pain, kids, arguments, parents, noise, loud music, kids, your team losing, and did I mention kids? It's not the rise in cortisol levels that is the issue so much as sustained high levels. Belly fat, or more specifically visceral fat, is the quickest fat to lose as well so you might build up a little extra but your body will use that first as it digs into fat for energy after your blood sugar levels drop after a meal.

There are, in fact, a few with relevant PhD's on this board that would tell you how incorrect you are because I've seen their posts in this related to this topic before.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have recently gained 12 pounds. I have been working out and just stared eating healthy. I've been doing cardio (cycling). Any other great suggestions to lose belly fat? Please help

Lifting, running, walking, and above all eating less than you expend. There is no spot reduction but visceral fat metabolizes very quickly relative to cutaneous fat, particularly lower body fat, so you should be able to lose more quickly than lower body, back and arm fat.