No veggies

2»

Replies

• bostonma1776
    bostonma1776 Posts: 10 Member
    Do you like any of them? Carrots? Corn? Potatoes? Lettuce? Cucumbers? Tomato sauce? Beans? It isn't necessary to like all vegetables, but some are better than none. It is necessary to have some of the nutrients found in plants...

You can eat fruit to make up some of the nutrients, but there is a lot more sugar in fruit, so the calories are higher.

Corn, potatoes and beans aren't vegetables. Why don't you ask her about rice or pasta?
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    I can't tolerate veggies either, but I do put a greens powder in my protein shake each day so I get the nutrients.
  • mwickerh
    mwickerh Posts: 19 Member
    I put vegetables in everything! At first my boyfriend wasn't a huge veggie eater, so I would shred things really fine or blend them to mix with sauces. I actually used cauliflower ground up as the "meat" in a sloppy joe and he didn't even realize! You can also grind cauliflower to use as "rice". When I make mashed potatoes, I like to boil some carrots and parsnips with the potatoes and mash them all together. Adds some extra flavor, lots of good nutrients, and cuts the carbs from the potatoes.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Do you like any of them? Carrots? Corn? Potatoes? Lettuce? Cucumbers? Tomato sauce? Beans? It isn't necessary to like all vegetables, but some are better than none. It is necessary to have some of the nutrients found in plants...

You can eat fruit to make up some of the nutrients, but there is a lot more sugar in fruit, so the calories are higher.

Corn, potatoes and beans aren't vegetables. Why don't you ask her about rice or pasta?

What are they then?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2016
    Corn is a grain, I think beans are legumes but potatoes are veg...just a starchy root vegetable. Actually potatoes are very healthy, high in potassium and extremely high on the satiety scale. Don't skip potatoes ;)

Eta: you don't technically need them to lose weight but they do make it much easier and they are really good for you. You could try roasting them, they are much tastier that way. And spinach is awesome in smoothies, it totally disappears tastewise.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Corn is a grain, I think beans are legumes but potatoes are veg...just a starchy root vegetable. Actually potatoes are very healthy, high in potassium and extremely high on the satiety scale. Don't skip potatoes ;)

Seems like splitting hairs though. I mean if someone is so veg averse that they will only eat corn and beans then eat corn and beans! Aren't legumes just a subtype of vegetables anyway?
    We don't really have legumes and grains in the UK, it all comes under 'veg' lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food.
    Vegetables do provide nutrients, fiber, water and are usually low calorie. If you don't want to eat them then don't. It is a choice. You could eat more fruits.
    There are lots of kinds of vegetables though and ways to prepare them. Vegetables can taste pretty different depending on how they are prepared. If you haven't experimented with different thpes or cooking methods I would suggest doing so.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »

Seems like splitting hairs though. I mean if someone is so veg averse that they will only eat corn and beans then eat corn and beans! Aren't legumes just a subtype of vegetables anyway?
    We don't really have legumes and grains in the UK, it all comes under 'veg' lol.

I'm with you on the beans, technically they're a legume (more like a peanut) but tomatoes are technically fruit so who really cares anyway...beans just have more protein than most veg. Corn is definitely a grain though, more like wheat than broccoli.