Stigma around elliptical machines

Options

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm really perplexed by everyone saying how ellipticals are better on the knees. When I've tried to use one I last about a minute before it feels like my knees are going to literally explode.

And no I don't have any knee problems. I can bike half a century or run a 5k with no problem whatsoever. The elliptical just feels all wrong and hurts.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    I use my eppileptical to do HIIT after my strength & Stamina Training.

What is an eppileptical?

Just think of all the calories you'd burn having an epileptic seizure for 30 minutes! :D
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have short legs (well, I am a short woman...) and the stride of the elliptical is hard and feels very un-natural to me and it doesn't help my arthritic knees at all. I prefer the ARC Trainer where I can choose different kind of programs and have variety in my cardio workout. The water rower and the ARC are my two main cardio machine, followed by the stationary bike.

I don't care about the calories burned; my only interest is the time spent in the machine and the benefits of the workout itself. So OP just do whatever you prefer and is good for your body. The only exercise that matters is the one that you enjoy and do in a consistent way.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You won't find me in one of those contraptions but if you need to get your heart rate up/burn some calories, and that's what you want to do...why not? It's better than nothing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm still not getting the whole "stigma" thing...what is this "stigma?"

Preface: I think the elliptical is great. I've got bum knees so I can't run, and the elliptical is one of the the most intense exercises I can do.

But there is plenty of stigma out there against ellipticals. Don't kid yourself. Just have a look at the following excerpts. Note that these people are all wrong and misguided, and many straw men are slain. But the cumulative effect of seeing this stuff can certainly scare people like OP off of a good workout:

http://thisgirltrains.com/why-elliptical-bunnies-never-reach-their-goals/
    This is why I hate elliptical trainers. In my opinion, they’re useless pieces of equipment. No other cardio machine allows people to fake workouts and lies about how hard they’re working like ellipticals (and before you start whining about how bad your knees are and that the elliptical is your only option, allow me to introduce you to swimming and biking).

http://www.bradkanus.com/2012/08/people-we-hate-users-of-the-elliptical-machine.html
    Nobody looks dumber in the gym than the rows of elliptical riders awkwardly paddling their feet back and forth trying to both ski and run at the same time. Never has someone ever looked at someone on an elliptical machine and thought "now that's athletic, that's a workout." ... Straight men should stay the hell off of these machines if they want to retain any shred of dignity.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread72293.html
    The eliptical is one of the most useless things in the gym. I hate people going on that thing trying to lose fat. Mite as well go sit on the sitdown recumbant bike and go at a snails pace while you read your kindle.

http://elitedaily.com/wellness/jillian-michaels-skip-elliptical/1588536/
    When asked about “one exercise people should stop wasting their time doing,” (Jillian) Michaels responds,
    "The elliptical. Ugh."

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-dumbest-forms-of-cardio
    The elliptical machine is too easy. However, it's great for mental zombies who enjoy pretending to exercise.

http://www.chicagonow.com/get-fit-chicago/2014/04/the-6-biggest-workout-mistakes/
    If you're workout regularly consists of riding on an elliptical machine for 45 minutes or jogging on a treadmill to bank 4 or 5 miles, you're doing your body a disservice. While there is nothing wrong with working out at an easy/moderate pace every now and then - even once a week - continuous steady state cardio puts your body on the fast track for storing fat.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=1649107
    What worthless stupid stuff did you see at the gym today? ... People on cardio machines, especially the stairclimber and elliptical. I hate that whole part of the gym, especially considering there's a 300m indoor track in my gym and two Olympic lap pools that nobody uses while fatties kill themselves on these machines because for some reason the elliptical has been society's image of how you lose weight. Not saying it's completely worthless but if we're talking effectiveness, well it's not.

OK...but I guess I could say that about any machine in the gym...or rather, my critique would be of many individuals using these machines. I have been in and out of gyms most of my life and while there are plenty of people putting in the effort, there are that many more who are doing a little better than nothing which isn't going to do a whole in regards to improving one's fitness. IMO, if you can sit there and read a book or kindle or magazine or whatever, there's not much in the way of effort being made...personally, I'd just go for a walk at that point and enjoy a nice low impact activity...but I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of it.

The only thing I can say about the elliptical that I don't particularly like is that it's not particularly beneficial in regards to functional training...you can get a good cardiovascular workout doing pretty much anything provided the effort is there...but if you want to be a better cyclist, you need to cycle...if you want to be a better runner, you need to run, etc, etc...in that regard, the elliptical doesn't really translate to being all that beneficial functionally.

Like I said, I still use it from time to time, but it's definitely not my go to considering I'm a cycling enthusiast...it's really not going to do much for me as a cyclist other than help me maintain a base line of cardiovascular fitness.
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wanted to know your thoughts about ellipticals, if you've used them, weather or not you think they work etc. Before I started working out I did some reading and discovered that these machines are worthless, over estimate your calories burned, and are looked down upon at the gym (especially if you're a younger man). I've had some knee injuries in the past, torn meniscus and mcl, so even though I read all these negative things about them I decided to try it out anyway. I've lost about 14lbs in a month and a half, using the elliptical and lifting. I was wondering what your experiences were, for those who've used them, and what your thoughts are for those who don't use them, weather it be the stigma, or if you feel that they're useless. Thanks!

Congrats btw!. I don't think they are useless at all.
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm still not getting the whole "stigma" thing...what is this "stigma?"

Preface: I think the elliptical is great. I've got bum knees so I can't run, and the elliptical is one of the the most intense exercises I can do.

But there is plenty of stigma out there against ellipticals. Don't kid yourself. Just have a look at the following excerpts. Note that these people are all wrong and misguided, and many straw men are slain. But the cumulative effect of seeing this stuff can certainly scare people like OP off of a good workout:

http://thisgirltrains.com/why-elliptical-bunnies-never-reach-their-goals/
    This is why I hate elliptical trainers. In my opinion, they’re useless pieces of equipment. No other cardio machine allows people to fake workouts and lies about how hard they’re working like ellipticals (and before you start whining about how bad your knees are and that the elliptical is your only option, allow me to introduce you to swimming and biking).

http://www.bradkanus.com/2012/08/people-we-hate-users-of-the-elliptical-machine.html
    Nobody looks dumber in the gym than the rows of elliptical riders awkwardly paddling their feet back and forth trying to both ski and run at the same time. Never has someone ever looked at someone on an elliptical machine and thought "now that's athletic, that's a workout." ... Straight men should stay the hell off of these machines if they want to retain any shred of dignity.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread72293.html
    The eliptical is one of the most useless things in the gym. I hate people going on that thing trying to lose fat. Mite as well go sit on the sitdown recumbant bike and go at a snails pace while you read your kindle.

http://elitedaily.com/wellness/jillian-michaels-skip-elliptical/1588536/
    When asked about “one exercise people should stop wasting their time doing,” (Jillian) Michaels responds,
    "The elliptical. Ugh."

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-dumbest-forms-of-cardio
    The elliptical machine is too easy. However, it's great for mental zombies who enjoy pretending to exercise.

http://www.chicagonow.com/get-fit-chicago/2014/04/the-6-biggest-workout-mistakes/
    If you're workout regularly consists of riding on an elliptical machine for 45 minutes or jogging on a treadmill to bank 4 or 5 miles, you're doing your body a disservice. While there is nothing wrong with working out at an easy/moderate pace every now and then - even once a week - continuous steady state cardio puts your body on the fast track for storing fat.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=1649107
    What worthless stupid stuff did you see at the gym today? ... People on cardio machines, especially the stairclimber and elliptical. I hate that whole part of the gym, especially considering there's a 300m indoor track in my gym and two Olympic lap pools that nobody uses while fatties kill themselves on these machines because for some reason the elliptical has been society's image of how you lose weight. Not saying it's completely worthless but if we're talking effectiveness, well it's not.
    It's not that I like the ellipticals but why so much hate: non-functional, useless, etc,. If you don't like it, use something else for cardio. When I see people using it, I just mind my own business. I guess ranting about how useless it is works too if one does not like it. I hate treadmills but never went all out my way to write how much I despise it and waste minutes finding links lol but whatever who cares. Haters going to hate bahahaha!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I'm really perplexed by everyone saying how ellipticals are better on the knees. When I've tried to use one I last about a minute before it feels like my knees are going to literally explode.

And no I don't have any knee problems. I can bike half a century or run a 5k with no problem whatsoever. The elliptical just feels all wrong and hurts.

i'm awed by people who can use ellipticals, because this. i think it was my own sloppy form more than anything else, but i wondered later if being a cyclist and already having a different set of patterns ingrained had something to do with it.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's funny that everyone is saying elliptical machines overestimate calories burned. My machine might say 250, then I come log it on MFP which says 450! I have absolutely no clue how many calories I actually burned--and I guess I don't care. I got good and sweaty for 30 minutes, my body's singing, and my strength and stamina are noticeably increased over the weeks of using it. I think ellipticals rock.
    (Which is a good thing because any kind of long walking/running is out due to plantar fascitis and bad knees).
    My HRM gives me about 100 cals more than the machine does. I don't eat them back but it gives me a guide of my effort (400 cals) and when I can stop rather than going by a specific time. And the sweat pours down my back.

My lower limb joints are so munted that treadmill (ankle, knee), the rower (hips), swimming (hips, knee) are limited time and frequency activities for me so I use the elliptical. I give zero *kitten* as to what other people think because I'm exercising for me, not them.

• MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use them for an all body warm up no matter what weights I am doing. If it has resistance, gets the heart rate up and can adjust how fast you go then It is as good as any other cardio machine.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My favorite cardio thing to do is run outside at a park. But barring that (too cold, dark, or wet) I'll alternate the treadmill and elliptical. Rowing machine if I'm feeling ambitious. And I don't care about burning calories.

It's especially appreciated when my ankle/knees aren't 100%, so they don't get worse.

Also, a form note: dunno this for sure, but my understanding is that it's best to move in such a way that you're not bouncing up and down. So your head should stay about level, and your legs are putting forth more effort.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you like it do it! When I was really heavy, that is how I started to get my cardio in check, and then slowly moved to the treadmill. Honestly, nobody should care about any stigmatism of what people you don't know in a gym might thing about you.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a damaged MCL on one knee and spent 6 weeks recently for a meniscus injury on the other. I can't run or do high impact activities anymore. I love the eliptical as a source of cardio that doesnt hurt me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I never liked the elliptical, even before I injured my knees. If I need no-impact cardio I use the recumbent bike. I vastly prefer to walk in the woods on hiking trails with good shoes - currently Asics Gel. When my knees were in worse shape I only did 20 minutes at a time and am now up to 75 minutes, plus hills. I even bundled up and walked all last winter. (I'm in Massachusetts.)

But for those who like indoor cardio and the elliptical, sure, go for it, just be aware that the burns are likely inflated.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Rururiri wrote: »
    It's not that I like the ellipticals but why so much hate: non-functional, useless, etc,. If you don't like it, use something else for cardio. When I see people using it, I just mind my own business. I guess ranting about how useless it is works too if one does not like it. I hate treadmills but never went all out my way to write how much I despise it and waste minutes finding links lol but whatever who cares. Haters going to hate bahahaha!

Sigh. Did you read what I wrote? I explicitly said that I liked the elliptical. I was demonstrating that other people apparently attach a stigma to it, giving examples of idiocy from around the web. Quoting someone doesn't mean that you endorse that quote.

This is what I said:
    I think the elliptical is great. I've got bum knees so I can't run, and the elliptical is one of the the most intense exercises I can do.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

OK...but I guess I could say that about any machine in the gym...or rather, my critique would be of many individuals using these machines. I have been in and out of gyms most of my life and while there are plenty of people putting in the effort, there are that many more who are doing a little better than nothing which isn't going to do a whole in regards to improving one's fitness. IMO, if you can sit there and read a book or kindle or magazine or whatever, there's not much in the way of effort being made...personally, I'd just go for a walk at that point and enjoy a nice low impact activity...but I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of it.

Totally agree. You can see people phoning it in with any kind of exercise - biking, treadmill, running, weights, etc.
    The only thing I can say about the elliptical that I don't particularly like is that it's not particularly beneficial in regards to functional training...you can get a good cardiovascular workout doing pretty much anything provided the effort is there...but if you want to be a better cyclist, you need to cycle...if you want to be a better runner, you need to run, etc, etc...in that regard, the elliptical doesn't really translate to being all that beneficial functionally.

Perfectly reasonable. I want to use exercise to keep myself in decent cardiovascular shape, to elevate my mood, and to give me more calories to play with. That's the only functionality I care about, really. To that end the elliptical is a very good fit.
    Like I said, I still use it from time to time, but it's definitely not my go to considering I'm a cycling enthusiast...it's really not going to do much for me as a cyclist other than help me maintain a base line of cardiovascular fitness.

No disagreement. People should do whatever exercises suit them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    In the course of my weightloss journey, I've put roughly 816439565469749 miles on my gym's elliptical machines. I love them because they don't make my joints hurt like the stationary bike or the treadmill, and it the motion just feels easier. I don't do much cardio any more, but I lost almost 60 lbs.

Also, I had no idea there was a stigma attached to the elliptical. Is that why no one at my gym ever talks to me? I assumed it was just my RBF.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can get a much better workout on the elliptical compared to running, I cant push myself as hard running because of my bum knee. I recently just purchased one for my home. I still love running, but cant do as many miles as I used to be able to do, so I use the elliptical in place :smile:
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Not all ellipticals are made the same. I like the LifeFitness ones at my gym. I also like the Matrix ones. Some of the older and/or cheaper ones are really not comfortable for me.
  • devon7118
    devon7118 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a runner at heart. I discovered it when I first started my journey in 2013. After a 15 mile run in May, I now have bone spurs and osteoarthritis in my knee. I can't run anymore. After a few months of physical therapy (and gaining 10 pounds from inactivity) I knew I needed to find some thing to replace my cardio. We purchased a nice elliptical a few weeks ago and I am loving it! My knee doesn't hurt, my hips aren't bothering me, and I'm finally able to lose weight again. The machine itself says I've burned more calories than I think I have, but when I plug it into MFP it seems more accurate. I think that if you're having success and enjoying your workout, who cares! If it's getting the job done and easier on your body it sounds like a win!