Stigma around elliptical machines

Options

Replies

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical 6 days a week because I think walking on the treadmill is boring and I am not a runner. The machine definitely over estimates calories burned so I use my Fitbit to get a more accurate account of calories burned. I have knee problems too and find that is easy on my knees and I get a good sweat!
  • doomlizard
    doomlizard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am fairly certain ALL gym machines over-estimate calories burnt. Measuring calories burnt is super difficult unless you actually set something on fire (of course, you can make a good estimate, but by no means accurate), and I'd think if you were going to estimate, you'd over-estimate (think of the psychological boost of burning all those calories!) I wouldn't take the calorie count as gospel for that reason - instead focus on how you feel at the time (are you working hard? Are you sweating?) and the results you're getting.

My cousin, a would-have-been pro football (soccer) player if he hadn't suffered a massive break in his leg, explained it to me this way: crosstrainers (ellipticals) are good at building aerobic capacity - the effort of moving the machine makes you breathe harder/sweat/heartrate increase, etc. But they remove a lot of the 'weight-bearing' that happens in other cardio, so they're not providing the same benefit to your body (things like bone density). When you run on a treadmill, for example, your feet hit the track and that shockwave travels through your lower legs, which helps improve bone density, strengthen tendons, etc. An elliptical won't provide anywhere near as many benefits that way, because you're not "stressing" those parts of your body. He used them during recovery from his broken leg, and they're a smart move if your legs cannot take strain (e.g. if you've got knee problems).

I think the benefit of actually just DOING exercise regardless is probably worth a few disparaging looks in the gym?

TL;DR - ellipticals are perfectly acceptable cardio, if you work hard enough, but you might not be getting all the benefits that "weight-bearing" cardio can provide.

(PS I don't actually use ellipticals, they give me motion-sickness ;) )
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Using an elliptical burns calories in an efficient manner, so how can they be bad? The control panel probably overestimates the burn but that's not a reason to avoid them. Other people look down on them and the people who use them? If that's the case it just shows their lack of character.

I'm a runner now but before that I'd use the elliptical any time I was at the gym. If for some reason I couldn't run outside and had to decide between the elliptical and the treadmill, I'd pick the elliptical every time. I can't stand treadmills... but that's just me.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a stigma over ellipticals. I use it as a change of pace of as a warm up for my lifting sessions; running on the roads for as long as I can. Snowy, icy roads are not my friends. Road running, treadmill running, elliptical, I use them all.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What is the stigma? I just used my elliptical 20 minutes ago for 40 minutes.. I do this twice a week on my off running days, its a good low impact machine.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've seen you ask questions on other topics in the forums. That's good. Ask questions and try different things until you find something that YOU enjoy and will do consistently. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy the activity and are PROGRESSING TOWARD YOUR GOAL; do it.

As for Ellipticals. If you want to know your calorie burn get a HRM. Don't trust strange machines that don't know you. Personally I tried ellipticals. I didn't feel like I was making any progress and didn't particularly enjoy using them. They also do not fit into my goals right now.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I have not heard bad things about ellipticals... for heavier folks it is a god send alternative to running... I personally avoid running simply because I don't feel that the extra weight I carry (about 40 lbs) would be good for my knees or soft tissue around my knees and hips... the extra impact is something I would avoid at least until these extra pounds are gone... like anything... it's about your attitude... and how you choose to challenge yourself personally... and NOT all elliptical machines are created equal some have a shuffling motion like XC skiing... others like a stand up pedal bike... more recent versions combine a whole series of motions and others yet are more lateral (like a skating motion) would industry invest so much in creating these variations if there didn't serve a purpose? it's a gym.. go hard challenge yourself and any machine is going to work for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    What is the stigma? I just used my elliptical 20 minutes ago for 40 minutes.. I do this twice a week on my off running days, its a good low impact machine.

you time warp much? I hear it is a side effect of ellipticals!

:(

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

You'd feel better if it was said that she FINISHED 40 minutes on the elliptical 20 minutes ago. ;-)
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wanted to know your thoughts about ellipticals, if you've used them, weather or not you think they work etc. Before I started working out I did some reading and discovered that these machines are worthless, over estimate your calories burned, and are looked down upon at the gym (especially if you're a younger man). I've had some knee injuries in the past, torn meniscus and mcl, so even though I read all these negative things about them I decided to try it out anyway. I've lost about 14lbs in a month and a half, using the elliptical and lifting. I was wondering what your experiences were, for those who've used them, and what your thoughts are for those who don't use them, weather it be the stigma, or if you feel that they're useless. Thanks!

It's funny - I have wondered the same thing about this machine. I just started using one that's similar but a little more difficult. Can't remember what they call it but.. I sweat a lot and the estimated cal burn seems more accurate than the regular elliptical machines. I'm inspired by the fact that you've been able to lose so much weight while using the machine. I assume you eat at a decent deficit as well. Good luck to you.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    That's funny that everyone is saying elliptical machines overestimate calories burned. My machine might say 250, then I come log it on MFP which says 450! I have absolutely no clue how many calories I actually burned--and I guess I don't care. I got good and sweaty for 30 minutes, my body's singing, and my strength and stamina are noticeably increased over the weeks of using it. I think ellipticals rock.
    (Which is a good thing because any kind of long walking/running is out due to plantar fascitis and bad knees).
  • Hunter2224
    Hunter2224 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started out using an elliptical and it was great. I noticed results in a week. I ride horses and is horse riders abuse our knees ( they normally hurt really bad after you get done riding) but when I was using the elliptical on a regular bases I no longer had knee problems. I think it is great however I do recommend alternating between the elliptical and say walking on the treadmill, running, or my personal favorite swimming. Great job on weight lost
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It's a choice thing. I don't mind the elliptical, but 30 minutes is max for me then I move on. I do just about every cardio machine in the gym at one time or another during the week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

:(

I'm joking, don't be sad!
    pondee629 wrote: »

You'd feel better if it was said that she FINISHED 40 minutes on the elliptical 20 minutes ago. ;-)

There we go! I feel much better!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wanted to know your thoughts about ellipticals, if you've used them, weather or not you think they work etc. Before I started working out I did some reading and discovered that these machines are worthless, over estimate your calories burned, and are looked down upon at the gym (especially if you're a younger man). I've had some knee injuries in the past, torn meniscus and mcl, so even though I read all these negative things about them I decided to try it out anyway. I've lost about 14lbs in a month and a half, using the elliptical and lifting. I was wondering what your experiences were, for those who've used them, and what your thoughts are for those who don't use them, weather it be the stigma, or if you feel that they're useless. Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "worthless"...it's just a cardio machine...you can get a good cardio workout on an elliptical. As calorie burns go, everything is an estimate...there's no way to know what you're really burning without hooking up to some really high tech, fancy equipment. I've also never heard of this "stigma"...it's just a cardio machine.

I use the elliptical on occasion...I cycle primarily, but when the winter rolls in with bad weather or I just don't feel like cycling in a deep freeze I'll hit up my little community center down the street from my office and spend some time on the elliptical...I get a reasonably good cardiovascular workout.

• MelkaBielka
    MelkaBielka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Honestly the elliptical is a great piece of machinery to help you reach your goals and keep your joints safe. As you stated, you are already noticing changes in your body and have lost weight so that's all there is to it. It works for you, its a good part of your routine, and it doesn't hurt your body. You are pairing it with lifting so you are getting added benefit. I think you are doing just fine, and if people want to stare at you while you are working out, let them! Let them admire your hard work, dedication, drive and gains.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I think that it got the bad rap because there is a certain population in most gyms that uses it because it's "easy"...

It's totally what you make of it though.

I would prefer to run, but I'm coming back from an ACL injury, so I'm not allowed yet. I am allowed to do elliptical though, so I do elliptical. I trust neither the machines themselves nor myfitnesspal for telling my calories burned--I use my HRM and can get a pretty good cardio workout that rivals running.