Called fat at work

Options
Hi all i have been away from mfp for a very long time last time i was here i went from 16st to 9.5st and felt great (wish i still looked like my profile pic).

Since then i started working nights and its completely messed me up i only get about 4 hrs sleep between shifts due to having children to take and pick up from school. Im starving all the time through tiredness i think and im now up to 13st.

I know im overweight and ive started trying to lose it again anyway last night at work one of the men i work with says "i thought you go to the gym" to which i answered yes 2-3 times a week when im not working. He then replied "really? I dont mean to be rude but your still pretty fat arent you?" He then pointed out he was only saying it as a friend! Some friend ay so now im trying my best not to stuff my face with food like i always used to when i was upset :(

Replies

• msfazer
    msfazer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking for a daytime job ive been doing this one for 2 years now and kind of got used to earning more due to the night premium so days is probably going to be a big cut. Its a very active job (warehouse) so im shattered by the time i get home after a 12 hour shift. My partner works days on paper it seemed like me doing nights and him days would work out great but it hasnt turned out that way. Im constantly snappy and ill so not good for anyone really.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    In general, I will never understand why people are so nosy. I don't really understand why he would consider that comment appropriate, but perhaps he was making a VERY ham-handed attempt at expressing some type of concern? Really, the best thing you can do is try to understand and just let it go. If he continually makes comments like that, then tell him that what he's saying is inappropriate, and if he still doesn't quit, pay a visit to HR.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In the U.S. you could take that to HR and he would have some explaining to do.

Not in most states. Being fat isn't a protected class. Thankfully.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

You're right I get called skinny. And poked at for being smaller. I don't think hr would care. Even if my feelings are stepped on a bit.

And the original (OPs) comment, didn't seem to be meant in an offensive way. Ya, "you don't look like your getting much out of the gym". He was perplexed and just blurted out the inconsistency. No thought needed.

You say you are heavy? So, you aren't getting much out of your current regimen. I really think he just couldn't reconcile the action with the observations. Change it up, refocus. If your first thought is to binge eat, maybe some counseling or a support group would be helpful. Make a plan. See a nutritionist. Join the mfp running group :wink: walkers and newbies welcome. :blush: shameless plug, but great folks.

Idk if your a praying person. But there's a line in a prayer that keeps me focused (most days), "lead us not in to temptation", anyhow find support, find your center.

Wishing you the best. The profile pic is a great re- goal. Love yourself.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    It sucks but you know when it is true. I think that is what makes it worse. My moment was when my son poked my large beer gut and asked "when is it due?" On a positive note it motivated me to come to MFP and lose it entirely, 53 pounds. And no, I don't thank him for it!

I love this, talk about funny. I would have asked him, what would you like brother or sister?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »

It doesn't have to be a protected class/discrimination situation to take it to HR. People still aren't supposed to behave like dbags in the work place.

In order to be actionable, it does, or in the least, covered in the employee workplace rules. Otherwise, there's grounds for an employee lawsuit, if that HR report negatively impacts that employee.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »

It doesn't have to be a protected class/discrimination situation to take it to HR. People still aren't supposed to behave like dbags in the work place.

There was just a (U.S.) 4th District Court ruling that said people can be rude at work, and their employers can't require they be nice. So...it'll be fun to see how that plays out across the country.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Screw him man. wow, he must be really insecure about himself to spout something off like that. wtf is wrong with people. MAN that made me angry!