Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it cheating?

Options
MrsKila
MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
edited October 2016 in Debate Club
I had an argument of sorts today because a person in our workplace was giving advise on weight loss to another coworker, but the coworker giving the advise had gastric surgery to lose weight. So the other coworker said "that shouldn't count because she cheated". It kind of made me a little upset.
What are your thoughts?
If someone had surgery to help lose weight should they give advise on weight loss to others?
Was i wrong? Did she cheat?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think @jgnatca should chime in on this thread.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating. WLS is very hard and requires a lot of self discipline. Any mistake would make you physically sick and you could regain if you don't keep working on weight management, just like with regular diets. Some people feel it's worth it, but in my case I feel losing through diet would be easier and kinder to me long term so that's what I chose. Advice given by someone who went through WLS may or may not apply to others, not because they cheated, but because their situation is different and requires a somewhat different set of weight management tools. The basic tools are similar though, like managing social situations, cravings, exercise..etc. I see no reason why someone who was able to get a grasp on these aspects shouldn't be allowed to share their experience, which could be invaluable and could help someone.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    For me personally, WLS isnt cheating in and of itself.
    Typically for one to need surgery or be approved for it they will be pretty big and pretty unhealthy. Many have to pass some nutrition classes, show they can lose some weight on their own, etc.

Id never opt for surgery unless I had to. Its not like getting lipo or a nose job. Its life changing and even after the surgery their lives have to change. Not only do they need to change the way they eat for the sake of being sick or in pain - its not guaranteed a forever loss. Many gain it back or take up equally unhealthy habits to fill the void that eating can no longer fill. (drinking, smoking, shopping, etc)

For those who themselves use WLS as an easy out or a "cheat", have the mentality of i'll just let the surgery do it for me. They will either be successful and work hard, therefore WLS wasnt a form of "cheating". Or they will gain it back and have done all of it for nothing.

In the end- this isnt a game- it isnt a race or a one upper- Im not a referee and cant call anything cheating as there are no rules. I think what it comes down to is comparing hard work over someone who may take an easy way out (most often not learning anything). It only does one a disservice to resent the person or their efforts instead of pressing on doing their thing remembering: what they've learned, how far they've come and keeping their motivation positive.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that coworker actually knows plenty b/c she had to go through nutrition classes before they can even qualify for the surgery.

Your coworker who said that was being petty, jealous, and rude for no reason.

No, it isn't cheating. It's one method to get to the same goal which is weight loss and maintenance of said weight loss.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    I had an argument of sorts today because a person in our workplace was giving advise on weight loss to another coworker, but the coworker giving the advise had gastric surgery to lose weight. So the other coworker said "that shouldn't count because she cheated". It kind of made me a little upset.
    What are your thoughts?
    If someone had surgery to help lose weight should they give advise on weight loss to others?
    Was i wrong? Did she cheat?

If it was absolutely necessary (as in all other venues including self control were exhausted), then no. If it was elective, then yes, I'd call it a shortcut. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but the coworker giving advice needs to remember that meeting her dietary needs is going to be significantly different from meeting the needs of someone who hasn't had the procedure. As long as she's accounting for these differences, it's entirely possible her input has merit.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Am I the only one who read what OP said completely differently? I've been reading the comments and a lot of people are commenting on if having the surgery is cheating but I thought OP was saying that the coworker said that you can't trust the weight loss advice of the person who had the surgery because "what do they know, they cheated to lose their weight" ?

The last line in the original post: "Was i wrong? Did she cheat?" She is asking what we think.