Ladies--how do you handle PMS appetite??

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    BC isn't always an option sadly. I know that it made me sick, made me hungry, and made my cholesterol worse.

Same here. To the list I'll add: makes my blood pressure collapse at the worst possible moments. That was an unpleasant surprise if there ever was one. :neutral: I'm jealous of those who can take it and help control the cravings that way.

I'm just going to have to stick with my massive amounts of chocolate. Followed by unhealthy amounts of exercise - 2 hours cardio anyone? - just because it gives me happy hormones to help counterbalance the bottomless-pit hormones.

1.5-3 hours of cardio a day is the norm for me at this point, lol. Plus those random 3-4 hours hikes on week ends. I'd probably have regained a lot of weight without it...
    I eat more and accept that my body is going through this process. I usually end up gaining about 3 or 4 pounds during my cycle and it's typically not water weight because I eat way way more than I normally would. But I just get right back to my routine after its over to get rid of the excess.

Yeah that's how I've been maintaining for 2 years. Forget losing anything though.. the only reason I actually lost 2 pounds last month is because my last PMS made me so depressed that I had no appetite at all.
    I must be unusual because I feel like eating less on my period and don't really have an appetite. I used to have cravings the week before, but that rarely happens to me anymore. I just use pure willpower when avoiding junk food cravings. lol I wish I had better advice, but it's all I've got.

It's actually not that unusual. My appetite goes through the roof right before, but once it starts I literally forget that food exists if I'm busy I can forget entire meals and be like "have I eaten anything today?" in the evening.

Right before, for a day or two, it's not just simple cravings for me. It's that weird state of extreme desire to open the fridge every 10 minutes and stuff whatever in my mouth followed by this feeling of my stomach being too full without any change in the physical hunger. It's so weird how you can be too full and too hungry at the same time and nothing you can do about it. But then again I have a hormonal condition so I'm not exactly normal in that regard. It's a different kind of hunger, it's not simple cravings and it's not that pleasant hunger that you can recognize and move on, it's not even that ravenous hunger that you can satisfy with a hearty meal. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Thankfully I only get it during ovulation and right before period, plus a couple of rogue days here and there sometimes. I also had it when I tried very low carb, apparently that messes with my hormones. I've learned to tough it up staying without food for as long as is humanly possible for me before I open that bottomless pit, devouring my entire day's calories in less than an hour.

I know exactly what you mean. The only thing that helps that feeling for me is carbs, unfortunately (bready things mostly) and that only works for a couple hours. I could eat 1 pound of veggies and it wouldn't do a thing (nor does a huge piece of cheesecake). Sometimes too I feel that I need to eat or I'm going to pass out, yet I know that I'm not hungry. It really sucks. And it comes and goes for 10 days for me. All my doctors have shrugged it off as 'normal' though...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    BC isn't always an option sadly. I know that it made me sick, made me hungry, and made my cholesterol worse.

Same here. To the list I'll add: makes my blood pressure collapse at the worst possible moments. That was an unpleasant surprise if there ever was one. :neutral: I'm jealous of those who can take it and help control the cravings that way.

I'm just going to have to stick with my massive amounts of chocolate. Followed by unhealthy amounts of exercise - 2 hours cardio anyone? - just because it gives me happy hormones to help counterbalance the bottomless-pit hormones.

1.5-3 hours of cardio a day is the norm for me at this point, lol. Plus those random 3-4 hours hikes on week ends. I'd probably have regained a lot of weight without it...

@Francl27 I'm usually at around 30mins tops per day (which is usually a walk over my lunch break, so nothing earth shattering there). So suddenly upping to 2+ hours (in one go without a break) is not so great for me or my joints. :confused:

But I am working on improving that since it seems makes my PMS more bearable. It's still a bloody mess, and I'm still ravenous, but at least I'm not doubled over in pain...
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    As someone who works with endocrinologists every day please don't dismiss all BC because you had a bad experience with one pill (or even more than one). There are so many pills with different hormones/levels/ratios so to dismiss them all because you don't like one is silly. The difference the right BC can make to PMS, cravings and painful periods is amazing.
    Also for those with very severe PMS symptoms an anti-depressant often works wonders (for reasons not fully understood to be honest)
  • Francl27
    edited October 2016
    Options

@Francl27 I'm usually at around 30mins tops per day (which is usually a walk over my lunch break, so nothing earth shattering there). So suddenly upping to 2+ hours (in one go without a break) is not so great for me or my joints. :confused:

But I am working on improving that since it seems makes my PMS more bearable. It's still a bloody mess, and I'm still ravenous, but at least I'm not doubled over in pain...

Unfortunately exercise has never helped with pain. I have to take advil and tylenol, sometimes together, for it to go away.

For a while actually exercise made it worse, but that's when I found out that I have ovarian cysts, so it kinda makes sense.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    x.x Oh god I didn't even realize that it was PMS appetite that I was experiencing last month. It seemed so normal to randomly wake up and go "I really want to eat more, so I guess I'll eat at maintenance today" for the entirety of the week.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As someone who works with endocrinologists every day please don't dismiss all BC because you had a bad experience with one pill (or even more than one). There are so many pills with different hormones/levels/ratios so to dismiss them all because you don't like one is silly. The difference the right BC can make to PMS, cravings and painful periods is amazing.
    Also for those with very severe PMS symptoms an anti-depressant often works wonders (for reasons not fully understood to be honest)

My gyno told me this exact thing when we were discussing which one to try. I told her my previous BC gave me acne, caused weight gain and some other stuff and she said 'Well, that wasn't the right one then'. Although there ARE people who simply can't take BC or choose not to. My SIL doesn't like the idea of hormone BC and I say to each their own. It helps me out a lot. I can even exercise during that time now (was too painful before).
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »

My gyno told me this exact thing when we were discussing which one to try. I told her my previous BC gave me acne, caused weight gain and some other stuff and she said 'Well, that wasn't the right one then'. Although there ARE people who simply can't take BC or choose not to. My SIL doesn't like the idea of hormone BC and I say to each their own. It helps me out a lot. I can even exercise during that time now (was too painful before).

Yep, I completely understand why some people don't like the idea of BC and choose not to take it. And there are some cases when women can't take it. I was just responding to people who complain relentlessly about their periods but say they 'can't' take BC because one pill 20 years ago didn't agree with them, That's just hyperbolic and unhelpful to others reading this thread.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I get very sick and have trouble keeping things down during so im stuck to granola bars and Gatorade... Before is weird- i crave bland food! Anything with too much flavor upsets my stomach... After im just so hungry i have to eat a little more then i should. Otherwise im eating a whole box of donuts. The after is what gets me every time. I can be sure i will have some type of gain.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Yep, I completely understand why some people don't like the idea of BC and choose not to take it. And there are some cases when women can't take it. I was just responding to people who complain relentlessly about their periods but say they 'can't' take BC because one pill 20 years ago didn't agree with them, That's just hyperbolic and unhelpful to others reading this thread.

Hehe it's not that I don't like the idea of BC. I wish I could find one that works for me but after several attempts (the last of which was two years ago) I just don't have the strength anymore to try yet another one.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm strongly considering an IUD with hopes that it will nix my period. I'm 42, hubby had a VS and don't need it for birth control, but I am the WORST PMSr of all time and I hate cramps. I'm also considering the ablation procedure, but I'm on the fence.
  • Francl27
    Options

I tried 3 different pills at the time, they all had bad side effect. So yeah... kinda reluctant to try again!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    it depends sometimes i can stay around my deficit , sometimes i eat at maintenance for a weekish

other times i eat the entire house and do not care at all..pms is coming this weekend and it also happens to be thanksgiving so im screwed lol
  • Francl27
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    it depends sometimes i can stay around my deficit , sometimes i eat at maintenance for a weekish

other times i eat the entire house and do not care at all..pms is coming this weekend and it also happens to be thanksgiving so im screwed lol

I actually kinda like it when PMS falls on Holidays... that way I end up overeating once and not twice, lol.

Last year it fell just between Thanksgiving and Christmas (and I had a wedding in there too), so I ended up gaining 2/3 pounds in one month...
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't. My hunger is really bad two days before. I eat to mat cals on those days and typically the next few days I'm not very hungry and it evens out. I won't fight against my body or I will lose haha.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat loads and exercise more.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    it is not usually an issue for me........however for the last 6 days Iv litterally not stopped eating.

even considered licking the brown leather sofa to see if it tasted like chocolate :D
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

This. I have been on many different types.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I actually get the bloating, water weight gain, and intense hunger at ovulation time, instead of shark week. In fact, now that I've been paying attention to my food intake, I can actually pinpoint ovulation now (I've always had crazy cycles). The way I manage the hunger is I try and make sure I'm eating enough protein. I do let myself have chocolate and things I crave, I just weigh them and eat it slowly, lol. If there is a day where I just can't get the hunger out of my mind, I will eati above my deficit, but not over maintenance to help.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can always tell when IT is coming because I crave chocolate like no other. So, I have a piece of chocolate. I log it and move on with my life.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I think I spoke too soon--the past two days I've been craving sweets, which I don't usually. I blame the Trader Joe's Joe's Joe's cookies!!