Ladies--how do you handle PMS appetite??

Options
Hi--I'm sure there are many threads out there about PMS/weight issues, but I wanted to ask how you gals actually handle the bigger appetite that comes with PMS (if you have that issue--maybe not all do)? I've been logging for almost three months now, and paying attention to how my cycle affects my weight and appetite, and I can see that for 5 to 7 days before my period starts, my appetite increases a lot. Particular foods and amounts that normally would fill me up no longer do. I've read recently that we actually do burn more calories during this time, so I'm trying to be kinder to my body and allow myself to eat extra calories during PMS, rather than try to deny it. A couple of months ago I was able to pretty much stick to about 300 cal over my usual calorie limit, but this past month it sure seemed like I needed to eat more than that. Maybe it was because I was doing more exercise at that point? It's just about that time again for me, so I'm curious what will happen now that my exercise level has gone down some due to a foot injury. I'm still going to try to stick to about 300 cal over (so still a little under maintenance).

What do you all do during this time? Do you allow yourself more, or try to curb it but overeat anyway? Or do you actually stick to your regular calorie goal??

I'll add that I don't seem to have much problem with cravings, just a bigger appetite, where it takes more for me to feel full. Thanks!

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Okay here goes! I always had terrible PMS binges. My appetite just goes way off the charts about a week before and the first few days of "that". I finally cut my carbs down to around 100 g a day. This considerably helped ease this urge to stuff my face. Also, when It feels unbearable I really just own it. I weigh the bag of chips *or whatever it is* before I eat, then I weigh it when I'm done and log it. I know I'm going to have more than a serving or two, and I know I will go back and dive head first into the stuff so I just eat what I will then account for it later. Thankfully I haven't had that bad of a time the past few months of lowering my carb intake. It is really nice not to have the monkey on my back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that eating a bit more (even at maintenance) during the premenstrual period is a great idea. That said, I do not do it because my period is very irregular so I do not know when I am in that phase. If my cycle was regular, I would planning calorie cutting around it.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Okay here goes! I always had terrible PMS binges. My appetite just goes way off the charts about a week before and the first few days of "that". I finally cut my carbs down to around 100 g a day. This considerably helped ease this urge to stuff my face. Also, when It feels unbearable I really just own it. I weigh the bag of chips *or whatever it is* before I eat, then I weigh it when I'm done and log it. I know I'm going to have more than a serving or two, and I know I will go back and dive head first into the stuff so I just eat what I will then account for it later. Thankfully I haven't had that bad of a time the past few months of lowering my carb intake. It is really nice not to have the monkey on my back.

Yes that's sort of how I feel--it's easier to handle psychologically if I just allow it to happen (to an extent I guess). I also do log everything during that time. I might try lowering my carbs--I never really pay much attention to carbs, only my protein intake. Thanks!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I let myself eat at maintenance for a couple of days I'd I'm really hungry.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I let myself eat at maintenance for a couple of days if I'm really hungry.

Me too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just eat at maintenance and even that is not enough sometimes. Also happens around ovulation. I have hormonal issues so the ways it affects my appetite are extreme. I just ride the wave trying to get away with as little damage as possible. It's a bit unsettling, but no big deal. I'm already used to it and I eat lower on days when my appetite is not all that great to try and make my month to month loss somewhat consistent.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Hi--I'm sure there are many threads out there about PMS/weight issues, but I wanted to ask how you gals actually handle the bigger appetite that comes with PMS (if you have that issue--maybe not all do)?

When I have been heavier, I had a bigger PMS appetite, but when I'm lighter (like I am now) I don't.

However, I found that a calcium tablet helped.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried potassium and calcium tablets and it didn't help me at all :(

For me it's definitely refined carbs that make it worse, so I have to try to avoid those during those days (this last week has been a total fail). Delaying breakfast actually helps too because once I start eating, it's harder to resist the hunger for some reason. I ate 4000 calories 2 days ago so yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about (my fault because I made bad choices, but my willpower basically goes away at that time, and I'm way hungrier, so bad choices never fill me up for the calories!).

And yeah, I make sure to eat less and keep a bigger deficit on non PMS/easier days. But when I started having this problem (it started when I was 15 pounds under the normal BMI), I basically stopped losing weight because that week (or 2) wipes off all the deficit I manage to get the rest of the time.
  • lnd0718
    lnd0718 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can feel PMS. The ragey anger that is completely irrational. So, when I eat at maintenance for a few days and ride it out. I kind of watch my fitbit and how many calories it says I have burned and try not to exceed that number.
    Options
    By taking birth control year round and skipping it entirely:):):) (there is no medical or scientific evidence of adverse effects from not having a period, it's all about getting over the idea that it's weird)

Not sure how that helps answer the question as to how we handle when it comes around but ....okay.... Is this a suggestion for the rest of us? Not everyone can or should take the pill. And not everyone want to be stuck remembering to take the thing every. single. day. Glad that works for you, but it really doesn't even apply here.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am not on the pill, and my appetite varies for PMS and ovulation. Typically, I eat a lot of protein, drink a lot of water, and I have one square of Ghirardelli sea salt soiree chocolate. Lol I haven't been super hungry, but I get serious carb cravings during PMS. I try to ignore them and drink more water or go for a walk.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance for a day or two.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic would come up today, but hormones are odd little demons. I can actually tell with a 100% accuracy when I'm ovulating by the kind of hunger I get. Today was one. Luckily, I emerged with acceptable scars.

s3q2sgv4v1j8.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for a few days. While I am regular, I can tell when I'm premenstrual because my breakfast smoothie, which usually lasts until 2, is gone by noon and I am hungry for lunch hours earlier than usual.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I go to maintenance and stick to it.
    I eat the foods that I crave, too.
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    By taking birth control year round and skipping it entirely:):):) (there is no medical or scientific evidence of adverse effects from not having a period, it's all about getting over the idea that it's weird)

Not sure how that helps answer the question as to how we handle when it comes around but ....okay.... Is this a suggestion for the rest of us? Not everyone can or should take the pill. And not everyone want to be stuck remembering to take the thing every. single. day. Glad that works for you, but it really doesn't even apply here.

Actually it may be helpful for someone who hasn't considered it. In general, policing what's helpful to others is a treacherous path.

I am not "policing what is helpful to others." The OP wants to know ways that we deal with these cravings. While menstrual suppression may be helpful for some reason it does not address the actual cravings and binges. That's all I'm saying.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    since I had to go low fat(regular and saturated) for health reasons,I havent had the PMS issues.Im not saying go low fat at all but thats what has been working for me.I get plenty of fiber,water and protein though too so that may curb some of the cravings.today is day 2 of my TOM and Im not craving anything at all.