Ladies--how do you handle PMS appetite??

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    since I had to go low fat(regular and saturated) for health reasons,I havent had the PMS issues.Im not saying go low fat at all but thats what has been working for me.I get plenty of fiber,water and protein though too so that may curb some of the cravings.today is day 2 of my TOM and Im not craving anything at all.

My hunger goes away on day 2 of TOM actually. And the hunger I feel is more the hypoglycemia type of hunger - I'm not actually hungry, but I feel that I'm going to pass out if I don't eat.. and usually only carbs help with it. I keep meaning to buy a blood glucose test and forgetting.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    claer947 wrote: »
    With pie. I handle it with pie.

LOL! For me it's dark chocolate!

Thanks ladies! I hadn't thought of the pill, but that's not an option for me anyway. Plus I'd gain weight just going on it! It's interesting that some find carbs helpful, but others find protein to work better. Maybe I should try to figure it out diet-wise.

Keep the posts coming, gals, it's nice to hear how others deal with this issue!

ETA: My appetite just about disappears at some point during my period. I figure that makes up for some of the PMS overages!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    By taking birth control year round and skipping it entirely:):):) (there is no medical or scientific evidence of adverse effects from not having a period, it's all about getting over the idea that it's weird)

Not sure how that helps answer the question as to how we handle when it comes around but ....okay.... Is this a suggestion for the rest of us? Not everyone can or should take the pill. And not everyone want to be stuck remembering to take the thing every. single. day. Glad that works for you, but it really doesn't even apply here.

Are you the OP? Do you know what kind of BC she uses or if she does at all? Me neither! So if, within the realm of possible things, she is on something that has the option to let her skip, I just thought maybe she'd like to know that it's an option. Of course the pill isn't right for everyone, I'm not sure how you even got that from what I said. I myself prefer an IUD, but I'm on the pill cause the IUD's as expensive as all get out. Also, I think considering all the great advice OP had already gotten by the time I posted, it was unnecessary to simply repeat the same stuff other people are saying that also worked for me. Cause then it would just be repetition. Just because my advice/experience sharing didn't apply to you doesn't mean it shouldn't exist anywhere when it may well apply to other people. If even one person, OP or otherwise reads that and goes "Hey I didn't know you could do that, how nice, I will call my Gyno" then it's placement here is justified.

Get over yourself. I was only pointing out that your solution does not address cravings and the like. No need to get sop offended.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    By taking birth control year round and skipping it entirely:):):) (there is no medical or scientific evidence of adverse effects from not having a period, it's all about getting over the idea that it's weird)

Not sure how that helps answer the question as to how we handle when it comes around but ....okay.... Is this a suggestion for the rest of us? Not everyone can or should take the pill. And not everyone want to be stuck remembering to take the thing every. single. day. Glad that works for you, but it really doesn't even apply here.

Are you the OP? Do you know what kind of BC she uses or if she does at all? Me neither! So if, within the realm of possible things, she is on something that has the option to let her skip, I just thought maybe she'd like to know that it's an option. Of course the pill isn't right for everyone, I'm not sure how you even got that from what I said. I myself prefer an IUD, but I'm on the pill cause the IUD's as expensive as all get out. Also, I think considering all the great advice OP had already gotten by the time I posted, it was unnecessary to simply repeat the same stuff other people are saying that also worked for me. Cause then it would just be repetition. Just because my advice/experience sharing didn't apply to you doesn't mean it shouldn't exist anywhere when it may well apply to other people. If even one person, OP or otherwise reads that and goes "Hey I didn't know you could do that, how nice, I will call my Gyno" then it's placement here is justified.

Get over yourself. I was only pointing out that your solution does not address cravings and the like. No need to get sop offended.

Yes, you pointed that out, and I disagree. It does apply here. I also explained why it does. I'm not offended. I just think you're wrong and wanted to explain exactly why.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I take BC :) But I had horrible PMS so I needed help with pain and heavy bleeding so the appetite control was just a bonus (I do still experience this just on a MUCH smaller scale). I used to just own up to it like everyone else said. Why make yourself even MORE miserable during that time? Try to set some limits like: one pint of ice cream instead of two lol!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »

Her advice does address the OP's complete question, though- since period suppression would also stop the cyclical cravings/appetite that OP experiences with PMS.

Thank you. I wasn't out to take the convo off topic, and I really didn't mean to sound uppity about period skipping, it's not like I don't feel for OP, PMS appetite sucks. I just thought "if it was me" and something was making it harder to lose weight, and someone knew "hey you don't actually have to do that" I'd want them to tell me.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Her advice does address the OP's complete question, though- since period suppression would also stop the cyclical cravings/appetite that OP experiences with PMS.

Thank you. I wasn't out to take the convo off topic, and I really didn't mean to sound uppity about period skipping, it's not like I don't feel for OP, PMS appetite sucks. I just thought "if it was me" and something was making it harder to lose weight, and someone knew "hey you don't actually have to do that" I'd want them to tell me.

It made sense. I actually know a handful of lesbians who use birth control that way- but you don't know it's an option until someone gives you the info. (Not me. I'm more of a howl at the moon cycle lesbian.)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

It's all a matter of individual perspective. I don't think the matter should keep anyone up at night however.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

It made sense. I actually know a handful of lesbians who use birth control that way- but you don't know it's an option until someone gives you the info. (Not me. I'm more of a howl at the moon cycle lesbian.)

And I'm a "being pregnant and not having periods was the best thing ever please lets do that again minus the baby" bisexual haha!! :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »
    I take BC :) But I had horrible PMS so I needed help with pain and heavy bleeding so the appetite control was just a bonus (I do still experience this just on a MUCH smaller scale). I used to just own up to it like everyone else said. Why make yourself even MORE miserable during that time? Try to set some limits like: one pint of ice cream instead of two lol!

THIS omg. There's no reason to suffer more than you already are. I think it was mentioned already, but eating at maintenance or a little over for a few days may well be the best. A few days won't derail your progress, weight loss is a months-long and sometimes years long procedure, try to let the days be as comfortable as possible...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    BC isn't always an option sadly. I know that it made me sick, made me hungry, and made my cholesterol worse.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    OP you are lucky that you experience true hunger because protein and fats sure help, now cravings? Those suckers no way I seem to satisfy :/
  • kristenmeleniak
    kristenmeleniak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I must be unusual because I feel like eating less on my period and don't really have an appetite. I used to have cravings the week before, but that rarely happens to me anymore. I just use pure willpower when avoiding junk food cravings. lol I wish I had better advice, but it's all I've got.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    BC isn't always an option sadly. I know that it made me sick, made me hungry, and made my cholesterol worse.

Same here. To the list I'll add: makes my blood pressure collapse at the worst possible moments. That was an unpleasant surprise if there ever was one. :neutral: I'm jealous of those who can take it and help control the cravings that way.

I'm just going to have to stick with my massive amounts of chocolate. Followed by unhealthy amounts of exercise - 2 hours cardio anyone? - just because it gives me happy hormones to help counterbalance the bottomless-pit hormones.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat more and accept that my body is going through this process. I usually end up gaining about 3 or 4 pounds during my cycle and it's typically not water weight because I eat way way more than I normally would. But I just get right back to my routine after its over to get rid of the excess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I must be unusual because I feel like eating less on my period and don't really have an appetite. I used to have cravings the week before, but that rarely happens to me anymore. I just use pure willpower when avoiding junk food cravings. lol I wish I had better advice, but it's all I've got.

It's actually not that unusual. My appetite goes through the roof right before, but once it starts I literally forget that food exists if I'm busy I can forget entire meals and be like "have I eaten anything today?" in the evening.

Right before, for a day or two, it's not just simple cravings for me. It's that weird state of extreme desire to open the fridge every 10 minutes and stuff whatever in my mouth followed by this feeling of my stomach being too full without any change in the physical hunger. It's so weird how you can be too full and too hungry at the same time and nothing you can do about it. But then again I have a hormonal condition so I'm not exactly normal in that regard. It's a different kind of hunger, it's not simple cravings and it's not that pleasant hunger that you can recognize and move on, it's not even that ravenous hunger that you can satisfy with a hearty meal. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Thankfully I only get it during ovulation and right before period, plus a couple of rogue days here and there sometimes. I also had it when I tried very low carb, apparently that messes with my hormones. I've learned to tough it up staying without food for as long as is humanly possible for me before I open that bottomless pit, devouring my entire day's calories in less than an hour.