unable to maintain any deficit because of overpowering persistent hunger

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't see it, but OP are you sure you're not dealing with PMS or ovulation symptoms? That sounds like me when I'm ovulating and then again a day or so before my period. Also, my hunger during ovulation is worst than when I'm PMSing. It's just a thought, but if you don't have the necessary equipment that would make you ovulate or have a period then ignore this.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    be mindful of what you're eating... and take note of what satisfies and what keeps you hungry. I find this works for me. There are things I eat that I like that keep me hungry all day. I hate noticing that.. but it is true. So.. use the notes part of your diary and try to figure out the foods you eat that keep you hungry.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised at this post if you said you were at a much lower calorie goal (in the 1200 neighborhood), but it sounds like you're higher than that. You said that you've lost a lot of weight...how long have you been dieting, and have you ever taken a diet break? If it's been more than a few months and if you've never taken one, I would seriously consider taking a week or two and eating at maintenance. Don't worry if you see a small bump on the scale from water weight; that will disappear when you go back to your deficit.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Is this last 10 pound loss worth it?

Overpowering persistent hunger sounds a little scary to me, moderate hunger I get, but this sounds almost painful... interested in what others will say about this..

I find it interesting that you posted this as I had the same reaction before I wrote my response. The OP mentioned that she isn't quite in a normal BMI range which is the only reason why I didn't mention questioning if the 10 pounds was worth it. For me it wasn't. I was always hungry when I tried to maintain 10 pounds lighter than I am now but that was at the low end of my BMI range.

Good point... I did not miss the BMI, but I mentioned it anyway and then added about talking to a doctor.

OP's diary and profile are marked private so I could not peak in an makes an assessment based on any thing personal about her in her profile or food diary related to her food consumption, number of cals, types foods etc.. and how much she is exercising, etc.

I have seen this extreme hunger in people that are leaner and already at a healthy weight, not those that are outside of the BMI and it being completely distracting to daily living per se.

The idea that everyone can see what I eat freaks me out a little so I keep my diary private. I eat over 2000 most days, usually 50% carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat, but it quite often it's more protein and fat. I walk a lot most days, plus 30-40 mins light jogging a few times a week and light strength training (20-30 min) a couple of times a week.

I am of petite height, so 10-15 pounds make a huge difference in how I look. And it's not just about how I look, I feel way to heavy when I exercise etc. I've been oscillating between the higher end of normal BMI and lower and of the overweight for months. I would be happy if I could lose those 10 pounds to be stable in a healthy BMI range.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but I am in much the same boat. Not all the time, but sometimes I will have a period of 4-6 weeks in which I am never satisfied. I can eat a 800-1000 calorie meal and still feel hungry. I haven't been able to trace it to any particular cause. I drinks tons of water, sleep as much as I can, load up on protein and fat. I eat 1800-2000 calories a day. It still happens and it started when I got down around 22% body fat. I'm trying to get down to 20% - just a few more pounds - but every time I lose a bit I get ravenous and gain it back! It's like my body has decided "enough is enough!"
  • oat_bran
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Have you messed around with your macros? Most days I need higher protein and fat than carbs. But every now and then I need a very high carb day or two. Usually I know when this going to occur based on how I'm feeling. If I have a mild headache that doesn't respond to an ibuprofen or feel lethargic, that day instead of trying to eat around 113g carbs, I double it. If I ignore those feels and aim to keep my carbs at 113, I will be insanely hungry by 6 pm.

I'm trying out different macro ratios to see if it could help. Most days I eat 50% carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat. So with over 2000 cals it's way over 100g carbs, often over 200. Protein is usually around 100g and fat slightly under 100. I tried low-carb/high fat plans and was misarable every time, so I know I need to have carbs to feel full. I was thinking that maybe lowering my carbs a little - not quite to a a low carb level, but to around 100-150g could help. And up my protein and fat and see what it gives.
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't see it, but OP are you sure you're not dealing with PMS or ovulation symptoms? That sounds like me when I'm ovulating and then again a day or so before my period. Also, my hunger during ovulation is worst than when I'm PMSing. It's just a thought, but if you don't have the necessary equipment that would make you ovulate or have a period then ignore this.

Well, I'm on the pill - and have been on it for several years - and I'm not sure if the "cycle" that I'm having functions hormonally like a regular menstrual cycle. I doubt it. But it's something that I've been asking myself. I tried to see if the hunger level vary depending on the day of the cycle and it doesn't seem like it.

I'm also aware that for many people the pill increases hunger drastically but I haven't noticed any increase when I first started taking it. I don't know if the effect can come months or years later after starting taking it?

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    In reality you most likely WILL be hungry while dieting. What I usually do is skip breakfast, that way I'm really only hungry in the morning, and since I'm usually busy it's okay. But then I find I need to eat a big breakfast around 11am, like 800 to 1000 calories (including fats and protein), otherwise I get hungry and snack all afternoon. It sounds like a lot, but if you skip breakfast and eat a 600 calorie dinner you still have room for snacks even. I am trying for 1800 calories most days plus exercise.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Have you messed around with your macros? Most days I need higher protein and fat than carbs. But every now and then I need a very high carb day or two. Usually I know when this going to occur based on how I'm feeling. If I have a mild headache that doesn't respond to an ibuprofen or feel lethargic, that day instead of trying to eat around 113g carbs, I double it. If I ignore those feels and aim to keep my carbs at 113, I will be insanely hungry by 6 pm.

I'm trying out different macro ratios to see if it could help. Most days I eat 50% carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat. So with over 2000 cals it's way over 100g carbs, often over 200. Protein is usually around 100g and fat slightly under 100. I tried low-carb/high fat plans and was misarable every time, so I know I need to have carbs to feel full. I was thinking that maybe lowering my carbs a little - not quite to a a low carb level, but to around 100-150g could help. And up my protein and fat and see what it gives.

Well, I'm on the pill - and have been on it for several years - and I'm not sure if the "cycle" that I'm having functions hormonally like a regular menstrual cycle. I doubt it. But it's something that I've been asking myself. I tried to see if the hunger level vary depending on the day of the cycle and it doesn't seem like it.

I'm also aware that for many people the pill increases hunger drastically but I haven't noticed any increase when I first started taking it. I don't know if the effect can come months or years later after starting taking it?

Just a thought, but it could also be stress related. Also, are you following the NEAT or TDEE -X% method? Maybe you need to reevaluate your calorie numbers.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are you doing to burn 2000 calories per day...?
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It isn't for everyone but Intermittent Fasting is the only thing that has helped me get control of my appetite.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That's her Fitbit burn, which means it's her TDEE.
  • oat_bran
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The last ten pounds are very, very tough if you're at a lower BMI and trying to lean out.

I've found that it's a normal response for either hunger or binging urges to hit people because the body does mess with hormones to defend a certain level of body fat.

There are ways to get around that, though.

The most effective way I've found is to keep a very, very small deficit, schedule regular maintenance days (once every ten days or so), cut back on exercise just a smidge (about 10%), get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of water.

It's also crucial to find a macro balance that keeps you feeling full and don't mess with it. What keeps you full might vary from what keeps me full, so I'm not going to just tell you to "eat more xyz", because that might not necessarily help you.

For now? My best advice is to take a diet break. Seriously. Eat at maintenance for a month and give your system time to get on an even keel. Then get back into the game.

Thank you for this. It seems like a reasonable advice. I think I'll definitely try to keep easy and just it at maintenance for a while and try not to worry abut it too much. And then experiment with different macro ratios and see how i feel.

• oat_bran
    Options

Just a thought, but it could also be stress related. Also, are you following the NEAT or TDEE -X% method? Maybe you need to reevaluate your calorie numbers.

I'm not sure ehat a NEAT method is. I base my TDEE estimate on my fitbit, which already counts my exercise so I don't log it on MFP. And then I just try to eat at a deficit, as low as I can. But like I said if I want to fuction productively it's a very low or non-existent deficit.
  • oat_bran
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm just really active. I have a job where I'm constantly on my feet and have to walk big distances and climb stairs up and down, I'm a student (again, a lot of walking), I avoid taking public transport and walk instead. And I do cardio exercise on top of that several times a week. I make between 15-30k steps daily and climb many stair flights.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is this last 10 pound loss worth it?

Overpowering persistent hunger sounds a little scary to me, moderate hunger I get, but this sounds almost painful... interested in what others will say about this..

I find it interesting that you posted this as I had the same reaction before I wrote my response. The OP mentioned that she isn't quite in a normal BMI range which is the only reason why I didn't mention questioning if the 10 pounds was worth it. For me it wasn't. I was always hungry when I tried to maintain 10 pounds lighter than I am now but that was at the low end of my BMI range.

Good point... I did not miss the BMI, but I mentioned it anyway and then added about talking to a doctor.

OP's diary and profile are marked private so I could not peak in an makes an assessment based on any thing personal about her in her profile or food diary related to her food consumption, number of cals, types foods etc.. and how much she is exercising, etc.

I have seen this extreme hunger in people that are leaner and already at a healthy weight, not those that are outside of the BMI and it being completely distracting to daily living per se.

The idea that everyone can see what I eat freaks me out a little so I keep my diary private. I eat over 2000 most days, usually 50% carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat, but it quite often it's more protein and fat. I walk a lot most days, plus 30-40 mins light jogging a few times a week and light strength training (20-30 min) a couple of times a week.

I am of petite height, so 10-15 pounds make a huge difference in how I look. And it's not just about how I look, I feel way to heavy when I exercise etc. I've been oscillating between the higher end of normal BMI and lower and of the overweight for months. I would be happy if I could lose those 10 pounds to be stable in a healthy BMI range.

I was thinking several things and you have clarified those for me. You have macros covered, exercise seems fine, etc. But the burning 2000 sometimes 2300 - 2700 calories seems a bit high to me as well, now that you explained your exercise.

Can you just deal with the hunger and do a very light deficit..? Can you otherwise just decrease those calories ooooohhh so lightly each day, every three days or week until you find the right balance in the deficit you can stick to.. I think if you can get past the fact that the amount you are eating is enough to fuel you for the day and be in a calorie deficit to lose weight at the same time, perhaps you can find a happy medium..

I was hoping that you would open your food and exercise diary, I think we can help much better..but I get that.. sort of grasping at straws.. I hope it all works out! :)

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    It looks like most of the comments on here are promoting low carb/high fat, so I just thought I'd throw out there that moderate fat/carbs and high protein has been keeping me very content the past few months. Most of my meals are around 5 oz chicken, a few oz of green veggies, and a little sweet potato; and I eat that every few hours. Some days it's tough to get it all down each meal because of the density/volume. High fat things like nuts do not keep me full unless I eat a lot of calories worth, which is the opposite of what I want when trying to keep my calories low.
    On another note, I wouldn't put *too much* emphasis on your fitbit burns unless the scale and your intake is reflecting that it is accurate. My fitbit burns are around 4000 on workout days, but I'm barely loosing 1 lb per week eating 1800 cals. It's possible you need more than it thinks, resulting in your hunger.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    In reality you most likely WILL be hungry while dieting. What I usually do is skip breakfast, that way I'm really only hungry in the morning, and since I'm usually busy it's okay. But then I find I need to eat a big breakfast around 11am, like 800 to 1000 calories (including fats and protein), otherwise I get hungry and snack all afternoon. It sounds like a lot, but if you skip breakfast and eat a 600 calorie dinner you still have room for snacks even. I am trying for 1800 calories most days plus exercise.

I'm only hungry right before meals. I run a small deficit, eat at maintenance when I'm premenstrual and ovulating, and focus on highly satiating foods.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm just really active. I have a job where I'm constantly on my feet and have to walk big distances and climb stairs up and down, I'm a student (again, a lot of walking), I avoid taking public transport and walk instead. And I do cardio exercise on top of that several times a week. I make between 15-30k steps daily and climb many stair flights.

i would suggest re-evaluating your calories burned estimate as you may be assuming that you are burning more calories then you think you are.

are you using anything to measure these burns?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

i would suggest re-evaluating your calories burned estimate as you may be assuming that you are burning more calories then you think you are.

are you using anything to measure these burns?

She's ravenous while eating satiating foods, which to me suggests that if anything she is underestimating her TDEE.

@longstocking what’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp