unable to maintain any deficit because of overpowering persistent hunger

Options
(I apologize in advance that this post is rather long, but I wanted to give you the most information.)

I'm in my late twenties and I recently came back to MFP after years of not logging to be able to better track my deficit. I have a FitBit Charge HR now, so I can track my TDEE pretty accurately. So I wanted to start tracking my intake again, too.

But even though I've lost quite a lot of weight - I really just need to lose 10-15 pounds more - I have the hardest time losing any more recently because of overpowering persistent hunger. It seems like my body is resisting even the smallest deficit. I was ambitious and impatient at first an wanted to have a deficit of 500-700, but now I'm happy if I can manage even a 100-200. Mind you I'm very active - I'm a full time student, have an active job and make sure to have light cardio and strength training several times a week now - so even though my BMR is just 1300, I manage to burn at least 2000 calories daily, most days 2300-2700. So that means I get to eat A LOT, even with a bigger deficit. I try to eat really healthy, too: few processed foods, lots of veggies and fruits, a decent amount of fat and protein from different sources with every meal.

But despite all this, I feel almost constantly hungry. I noticed that any time during the day when my caloric expenditure becomes 200-300 over my intake I get hungry. I it's not just superficial or psychological hunger from boredom. It's that kind of overpowering hunger that I can't distract myself from. And it's that "I have to eat NOW" kind of hunger. I'm a student, so I really need to be able to concentrate and constant hunger isn't helping. So I eat. Sometimes a small light snack at first, get hungry again thirty minutes later, have another snack and so on. Sometimes I have something more substantial, a protein and fat rich foods like nuts or chicken and keeps me full a bit longer, but not long enough. So by the end of the day, I end up consuming what I burn or sometimes even more. Or if I can manage to distract myself during the day and eat a bigger meal just before bed, so that I'm not hungry at bed time, I would often wake up starving in the middle of the night, unable to fall asleep before I eat something. Or, if I sometimes manage to have a deficit one day, I would be two times hungrier the next day and would eat back all of it. It's super frustrating. I feel like I'm spending so much energy trying to eat less every day, but it's all useless because I end up eating all the deficit back one way or another.

I have to clarify that sometimes, I have streaks of several days or even weeks where I suddenly don't feel as hungry and I can manage to maintain a daily deficit of several hundred calories quite easily. Then the hunger hits and I usually eat all of it back. So I've been stuck on the same weight for months.

On the one hand it seems logical that my body is trying to resist deficit - it's only expected from the evolutionary point of view. Plus, I'm almost in a normal BMI range. But the overpowering persistent character of the hunger I'm experiencing, makes me thing that there's something more to it. Maybe it's hormonal? Or there's some other physical reason behind it? Is there anyone on here who've experienced the same problem?

Replies

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water especially since you are so active. We can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger.
  • kidrow21
    kidrow21 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try eating lots of oats for breakfast and lots of fiber throughout the day. Drink plenty of water..... And my personal favorite chew lots and lots of gum. Fools the stomach.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Is this last 10 pound loss worth it?

Overpowering persistent hunger sounds a little scary to me, moderate hunger I get, but this sounds almost painful... interested in what others will say about this..

I find it interesting that you posted this as I had the same reaction before I wrote my response. The OP mentioned that she isn't quite in a normal BMI range which is the only reason why I didn't mention questioning if the 10 pounds was worth it. For me it wasn't. I was always hungry when I tried to maintain 10 pounds lighter than I am now but that was at the low end of my BMI range.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Is this last 10 pound loss worth it?

Overpowering persistent hunger sounds a little scary to me, moderate hunger I get, but this sounds almost painful... interested in what others will say about this..

I find it interesting that you posted this as I had the same reaction before I wrote my response. The OP mentioned that she isn't quite in a normal BMI range which is the only reason why I didn't mention questioning if the 10 pounds was worth it. For me it wasn't. I was always hungry when I tried to maintain 10 pounds lighter than I am now but that was at the low end of my BMI range.

Good point... I did not miss the BMI, but I mentioned it anyway and then added about talking to a doctor.

OP's diary and profile are marked private so I could not peak in an makes an assessment based on any thing personal about her in her profile or food diary related to her food consumption, number of cals, types foods etc.. and how much she is exercising, etc.

I have seen this extreme hunger in people that are leaner and already at a healthy weight, not those that are outside of the BMI and it being completely distracting to daily living per se.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor and see if you have some thyroid problem or something else that could cause lots of hunger.

I will also note that I get very hungry when I don't have enough protein in my diet.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would look at the makeup of the foods that you eat...since you are getting closer to your goal weight, it's not a bad idea to dial in your macro intake. Personally: I shoot for 100g of protein/day and let my carbs and fat fall where they do...this seems to keep me very satisfied. Your macro intake needs may be WAY different than mine..but if I'm eating oatmeal/cereal/a bagel right away in the morning (higher carb), I find I am STARVING all day...so I stick to steak, eggs, and toast...string cheese, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, ect.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would visit your doctor to see if there is something going on and maybe just eat at maintenance for a few months.
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/polyphagia.html
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Have you messed around with your macros? Most days I need higher protein and fat than carbs. But every now and then I need a very high carb day or two. Usually I know when this going to occur based on how I'm feeling. If I have a mild headache that doesn't respond to an ibuprofen or feel lethargic, that day instead of trying to eat around 113g carbs, I double it. If I ignore those feels and aim to keep my carbs at 113, I will be insanely hungry by 6 pm.
  • mwickerh
    mwickerh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    More healthy fats, fiber, and protein!!
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way for the last little bit. I am actually following this thread to get some of your advice. I am down almost 100 pounds. This is the smallest I have been since having my kids, the oldest is 15. After I had him I could never break past 185. I have bounced between 184-186 the last two weeks and nothing.

It's so frustrating because all I need is to get to 179 and I will no longer be obese. My goal is 150-160. I am beginning to wonder if I will make it.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely try checking out your macros. I'm eating at a rough deficit (1340ish calories a day, plus exercise), and if I don't hit the right marks I find myself ravenous until I grab a clif bar, steak, or something super dense in fat/protein/calories/carbs.

Stop with the deficit and try IIFYM for a little bit. See how you feel. It might give you a better idea of what you're eating, and how you can switch it up.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    mwickerh wrote: »
    More healthy fats, fiber, and protein!!

This but I want to emphasize the fat part most of all. LCHF/keto rocks.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things I'd do if I were you. 1) try a different method of tracking your calories/TDEE. Fitbit isn't all that accurate in my experience. I compared one against my phone and a HR strap, and against another tracker with HR support a while back and found it to over estimate calories burned by a LOT. I'm not saying they have not improved them over the last couple of years, but anything that monitors your heart rate at the wrist level probably isn't going to be all that accurate. 2) Try replacing some of the foods you eat with different stuff that has more volume but less calories. Vegetables, etc. Try also increasing protein. Foods with insoluble fiber and lots of protein take longer to digest and will help with hunger. You can also switch to eating every couple of hours but in smaller quantities. It sounds like your metabolism is pretty high, and switching to more frequent smaller meals has helped me with it. Every two hours I get very hungry because I've spent the last year and a half trying hard to increase my metabolism. Well.. it worked. The end result is faster digestion and hunger every two to three hours. I don't quite do six meals a day, but I do 5. Breakfast, Mid-Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, and Dinner. Sometimes I'll skip the afternoon snack and have a late snack after dinner but you get the point. Each meal, with the exception of dinner, is around 400-500 calories and high in protein and well balanced with fiber if at all possible.

Good luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    When you want something enough, you will overcome emotions or cravings to achieve it.

"Pain is temporary, Glory is eternal"