How do you take your coffee?

Options
I love my coffee light and sweet...unfortunately that's not good for the calories. I just realized that my daily 20oz coffee is 240 calories a day! that's a small meal, or at the very least, a good snack! I usually use 4 sugar packets, 4 splenda packets, and 3/4 a cup of half and half! Yikes....any suggestions on how I can still indulge in my creamy coffee....but make it a little lighter??

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I stopped using sugar in mine. Took a bit of getting used to, but it cut the calories waaaay down. 3/4 a cup of half and half is 236 calories by itself, though.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I made my own pumpkin pie spice mix with 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, 1 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice & 1 tbsp of honey. It is only about 11 calories for a teaspoon. A splash of low fat milk for about another 20 calories. Much better than those pumpkin pie spice drinks they are selling at the shops.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I have about 2 tbsp of creamer per 16 oz coffee. About 70 calories (2x a day). If I'm having a hard time staying in a deficit then I'll either drink it black, switch to plain hot tea, or go with sugar free creamer.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps cut your half and half in half, or use milk instead. Instead of so much sugar, try 1 tsp and some stevia drops instead.

I like to drink my calories so my coffee usually has coconut oil or cream, and whipping cream or butter. I will often add a small amount of protein powder later in the morning. I tend not to eat breakfast so the calories work well for me.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I stopped using sugar in mine. Took a bit of getting used to, but it cut the calories waaaay down. 3/4 a cup of half and half is 236 calories by itself, though.

The half and half I am using has 158 calories per cup. It's one of those creamy flavored creams, not pure half and half. But yea, still high in calories. Coffee without sugar...I can't imagine that
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp of flavored creamer
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Black

I started drinking coffee with all sort of stuff in it. Now it is just plain balck coffee.

The smell of coffee and milk coolimg down just repulse me.

The advantage pf black coffee is that it won't turn or go sour or be undrinkable after a few hour.

I often don't finish my "road coffee" when im travelling. So i finish it cold on the way back.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will often have a cold brew with protein powder and almond milk as part of my breakfast. The protein powder adds sweetness and the almond milk is pretty low calorie. If I'm not having it this way, I will usually just drink it black or with a packet of Splenda.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Straight up black. Nothing in it at all!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    1-2 tsp non-dairy creamer in 12oz coffee (10-20 cal) and 3 packets of stevia (0 calories).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    JPBgrad98 wrote: »
    Straight up black. Nothing in it at all!

I'm just about at this point. I've chosen (no reason, just wanna) to reduce my sugar and dairy intake. I used to take my coffee like you, OP--lots of heavy cream and sugar for me. First, I switched to all splenda (no sugar), and slowly replaced my cream with skim milk and one 15ml/1Tbsp of sugar free flavored creamer.

Then I slowly weaned to just the 1T creamer and one Splenda. Now I've done away with the creamer; just one squirt of Splenda liquid.

It's taken me 2 years, but I've just about trained my palate to enjoy coffee just as is, no need for add-ins.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Black or with a small shot of half and half. I want to enjoy the flavor of the coffee, not the sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like mine black, but for you maybe start by trying the stevia (cut back a sugar ever few days) and skim milk instead of cream? I never enjoyed sweet coffee, but when I first drank coffee it would be about half milk, half coffee, and I still enjoy coffee and milk from time to time.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    couple splendas and some powdered creamer. the powdered creamer is 10cals per tsp, so i don't even count it.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    with almond/coconut milk, now sugar and low in fat
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I usually take my 10-12 ounce cups of coffee with an ounce of 2 % milk and a packet of Equal/NutraSweet. Each cup is about 15 calories this way. I like to drink 2 cups in the morning and 2 during the day/afternoon, so my total coffee intake amounts to around 60 calories. So not too bad.

I want to transition to black, but I may wait a little while...I like my coffee as it is right now, and will probably start cutting extra calories where I can when I get down to the last 10 or so lbs.