Strength Training Off Days

Options
Do you still go to the gym or workout at home on your recovery days? Do you squeeze in some cardio? If you do, what kind of cardio?

Im unsure about what to do. I had started the C25K program and was hoping to get that done between strength training days. But after some research online, I found that there are so many different opinions about it.

I would like to know what you all do and maybe it'll help me figure out what I want. Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It depends on my goals. Sometimes I run on days I don't lift. Sometimes I hike, stretch, do yoga, swim, or even do absolutely nothing at all. If you start to feel like running impacts your lifting then reduce the number of days you do it or increase your calories slightly. I prefer a short run or an interval run after lifting and then do nothing on my rest days.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I rest and recover or make it my cardio day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x a week - Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. My off days typically include a 1.5 mile walk (sometimes 2 miles) and occasionally some cardio - light, if on Tuesday; heavier, but not all-out, on Friday.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't do rest days because they do more harm than good for me personally.

When I run, I usually run same day as legday, therefore my legs do get some rest in between lifting.

It's all up to the individual, find what works for your schedule and body and enjoy.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and strength training on the same day, I alternate the days with regard to weights s for upper and lower body, but cardio and core are done every day.
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @corazombie, what are you concerned about regarding recovery and cardio on non-weight days? The idea that cardio can exacerbate catabolism? The idea of overtraining? Whether you should eat more or less on rest vs workout days? Do you favor a full body work out every time you go to the gym? Or do you go by push /pulls, splits, etc?

Like you said, all of these topics generate a fair amount of disagreement, specially as studies, bro-science and anecdotal evidence get thrown together in forum threads.

Give us more information on your regimen, goals and specific worries.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    corazombie wrote: »
    Do you still go to the gym or workout at home on your recovery days? Do you squeeze in some cardio? If you do, what kind of cardio?

Im unsure about what to do. I had started the C25K program and was hoping to get that done between strength training days. But after some research online, I found that there are so many different opinions about it.

I would like to know what you all do and maybe it'll help me figure out what I want. Thanks.

Yeah the community has allllllllllllllllllllllot of opinions. Most of them are just theories on what they feel works and they never apply it :wink:

I train 5-6 times a week, and on the 7th day I prefer to do some walking (3-4 miles). It helps me burn some extra fat( during the cut) and is helpful with muscle recovery. If i don't feel like doing that then I just hit another muscle group that I feel is lacking.

Either way I think daily exercise is good!
  • corazombie
    corazombie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing.
    @corazombie, what are you concerned about regarding recovery and cardio on non-weight days? The idea that cardio can exacerbate catabolism? The idea of overtraining? Whether you should eat more or less on rest vs workout days? Do you favor a full body work out every time you go to the gym? Or do you go by push /pulls, splits, etc?

Like you said, all of these topics generate a fair amount of disagreement, specially as studies, bro-science and anecdotal evidence get thrown together in forum threads.

I am going through a m&s full body dumbbell program I found on here. Ive been told I should be doing SL 5x5 but I lack the confidence right now to give it a shot. Its a Monday/Wednesday/Friday deal but Ive gotten used to going to the gym everyday except Sunday. Before I converted to free weights I was using the machines for strength training followed by cardio (mostly treadmill with jogging and walking intervals) everyday. I was doing the same thing everyday for a month. I couldnt lose any weight for a few weeks until I started Intermittent Fasting.

Having read the importance of rest days, Im worried about overtraining. Ive also read that cardio can work against strength training in some ways and I dont want to screw up my progress somehow. At my heaviest i was over 400 lbs, now Im 288 lbs. Im 6 feet tall and 30 years old. Im really new at this and have never cared about my health until now, so Im sorry if my questions are dumb or silly. My goal is to lose a lifetime of fat and become fit and healthy. If i can drop to 200 lbs I will honestly cry tears of joy everyday. It just sucks to be scared of going out to places like theme parks or stadiums because you think you might not fit in seats or ruin the fun for people next to you. I dont expect to be like the people I see in magazines, but I want to feel good about myself.

I dont know if I answered your questions. But I hope it helps you understand where Im coming from. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Cycling is probably best to preserve muscle while cutting fat.

Yes, there are scientific studies that say that cardio and strength training have an interference effect - those studies were done on trained athletes that were eating a caloric surplus to my understanding. So, take those studies with a grain of salt.

For me, personally, I find that cardio seems to greatly decrease my appetite. Not only that, but it greatly increases my metabolism and calories burnt. Finally, I have simply grown to like it - it improves my mood and makes me feel a little better. It took time to get used to, but now I prefer to do it daily as time permits.

I find that even though I'm doing a lot of cardio everyday and I have about a 1000 kcal deficit per day (aiming at losing 2 lbs/week for now), my weightlifting numbers are continuously going up with every workout. So, it seems like I'm gaining strength at least. And I feel better than before.

Think about logging your weight every Sunday morning and your weightlifting numbers (reps x sets and keep a note if it was too easy or hard etc) every Monday/Wednesday/Friday. If my weight goes down every week and my weightlifting numbers go up every week, then I am content with that.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I am going through a m&s full body dumbbell program I found on here. Ive been told I should be doing SL 5x5 but I lack the confidence right now to give it a shot. Its a Monday/Wednesday/Friday deal but Ive gotten used to going to the gym everyday except Sunday. Before I converted to free weights I was using the machines for strength training followed by cardio (mostly treadmill with jogging and walking intervals) everyday. I was doing the same thing everyday for a month. I couldnt lose any weight for a few weeks until I started Intermittent Fasting.

Having read the importance of rest days, Im worried about overtraining. Ive also read that cardio can work against strength training in some ways and I dont want to screw up my progress somehow. At my heaviest i was over 400 lbs, now Im 288 lbs. Im 6 feet tall and 30 years old. Im really new at this and have never cared about my health until now, so Im sorry if my questions are dumb or silly. My goal is to lose a lifetime of fat and become fit and healthy. If i can drop to 200 lbs I will honestly cry tears of joy everyday. It just sucks to be scared of going out to places like theme parks or stadiums because you think you might not fit in seats or ruin the fun for people next to you. I dont expect to be like the people I see in magazines, but I want to feel good about myself.

I dont know if I answered your questions. But I hope it helps you understand where Im coming from. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Very few people are in danger of overtraining. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're spending countless hours at he gym and going balls to the wall every day.

I have the best intentions for my rest days (I lift 4x/week), but the most I end up doing is my prescribed physical therapy exercises. I love my bike, but I can really only get out for a ride on Saturdays.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I take one full recover day.. doing no exercise.

I run 4 days a week and strength train 5. 3 of those strength training days contain morning runs that are done 3 hours before lifting.

You should place your recovery days where appropriate. Once you get into your routine or regime you will know how and when you need to rest and recover and what is too much on one one day verses other days (rather you can do both or not on same day)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

You need not worry about starting Strong Lifts 5x5. (I was also concerned at first) I started this week and the weights at which you start allow you to complete the reps and sets and concentrate on form. They start you light. You may feel self conscious at first pushing around an empty bar, but don't. No one really cares, and those who do aren't worth consideration. Down load their free app to track your work and record your progress. Should you not be able to complete the 5x5 of any exercise at any weight, no problem, the app will just repeat that exercise and weight, or lower your weight, until you get there.

In answer to your original question re rest days. I started Strong Lifts 5x5 and run on the alternating off days. Trying to be a runner in good/great shape/condition. Sundays are off days from both, save for light walking and such. No intentional workouts. So far, so good. we'll see. Good luck on your training. Report back on what you've done and how it goes.