Arms looking bulkier and big after weights help

Options
A lot of my friends and family are commenting on how toned and "bigger" my arms looks like now and I'm feeling really discouraged because they said it in a manner that is telling me to stop lifting weights cos it's starting to look bad! What should I do now??? Should I just cardio and lose the fats on my arms or should I continue lifting?? It's so hard for me to lose weight too help

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kanaada wrote: »
    A lot of my friends and family are commenting on how toned and "bigger" my arms looks like now and I'm feeling really discouraged because they said it in a manner that is telling me to stop lifting weights cos it's starting to look bad! What should I do now??? Should I just cardio and lose the fats on my arms or should I continue lifting?? It's so hard for me to lose weight too help

Please tell us all your lifting and diet/supplement routine - there are millions of guys lifting very heavy weights multiple days per week for years, taking every supplement known to man and drinking protein shakes by the gallon trying to make their arms bigger and bulkier without much luck. We'd love to know your secret so we can pile some inches on our arms!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i worked with this guy once who told me how his wife had gotten all into weights and lifting and all, and how she kept asking him three times a day to feel her arms and see if they were growing yet.

:) she really wanted them to and he was all sad because he couldn't truly-truthfully say that they were. so between him and me we made this little conspiracy that the next time i saw her i'd find a natural moment to do a small double-take and say 'gee [name], you look different somehow . . . have your arms got bigger?'

i know that's the exact opposite of the way you're feeling. but i still get a little mushy moment every time i think about it so i like re-telling it anyway. meanwhile, i can't help wondering where people get off making any kind of uncalled-for remark about your body and how you look. and realizing that basically, people don't say positive things to women when they are commenting. so it seems to me that just because you're hearing negative feedback doesn't mean that negative is the real picture. most people have better manners than that so you're probably not even hearing the positive stuff. guess i just wanted to let you know that positive opinions are for-sure there.

none of that helps how you're feeling, i guess. but it really is what i suspect.

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey, @Sued0nim, I can't wait for the day my arms look like that. They are fabulous!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Hey, @Sued0nim, I can't wait for the day my arms look like that. They are fabulous!

Thanks I'm still a little unconvinced TBH but I'm working on my own perceptions which I think is what @kanaada could do too...nobody else's opinions matter
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i worked with this guy once who told me how his wife had gotten all into weights and lifting and all, and how she kept asking him three times a day to feel her arms and see if they were growing yet.

:) she really wanted them to and he was all sad because he couldn't truly-truthfully say that they were. so between him and me we made this little conspiracy that the next time i saw her i'd find a natural moment to do a small double-take and say 'gee [name], you look different somehow . . . have your arms got bigger?'

i know that's the exact opposite of the way you're feeling. but i still get a little mushy moment every time i think about it so i like re-telling it anyway. meanwhile, i can't help wondering where people get off making any kind of uncalled-for remark about your body and how you look. and realizing that basically, people don't say positive things to women when they are commenting. so it seems to me that just because you're hearing negative feedback doesn't mean that negative is the real picture. most people have better manners than that so you're probably not even hearing the positive stuff. guess i just wanted to let you know that positive opinions are for-sure there.

none of that helps how you're feeling, i guess. but it really is what i suspect.

You scoundrel! :D

I like how my arms look when I flex them, and every so often my guy will comment on how "big your arm muscle have gotten." I love it, it makes me feel good....all the while knowing it's just 'cause they're flexed and us women don't get to bulk. :)
  • jayjay5549
    jayjay5549 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a army vet that cant exercise anymore because of injuries my goal is to lose 100lbs. any good ideas.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It means you're getting toned & losing fat. Isn't that what you want?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    My goal is to have Michelle Obama's arms.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

First and foremost what do YOU want. Secondly, chase that and f**k what anyone else has to say about it. You're arms are fine, they're just jealous because their arms still wobble or look like toothpicks. Do you :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My goal is to have Michelle Obama's arms.

What will she do without them?
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I remember one of your first posts about your friends calling you fat.
    You need new friends. They're idiots who want to make you feel unhappy.

1. It is incredibly difficult for women to bulk/gain muscle, even in surplus and lifting very heavy.
    2. You are not eating in surplus.
    3. Did you recently start weights? If yes, then what you are seeing is fluid retention in the muscles for repair.
    4. Screw what others say about you. Obviously they'll always have something stupid to say no matter what you do. You do you and laugh off what your idiots negatively say to you.
    5. Be proud whenever someone says that. Your aim is to be strong and fit. You're doing just fine.

This right here. Get new pals. There's banter and there's BANTER. If you know someone doesn't feel your jokes don't keep doing it. What kind of bully friend is that. That's some bullsh*t. You got this.