Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    My TDEE is going to be 1900 calories or so. That isn't huge, I'll need to deprive. 400 calories for breakfast, 600 for a healthy lunch, that leaves 900 for dinner and some snacks. Afternoon lull grab 100 calories of almonds, that leaves me with 800 for dinner. That's surprisingly small. Let's say I want to have a beer with dinner and a few bites of desert, right that that's 300 calories - leaving 500 for food. And that's at my goal weight TDEE, not while dieting.

I think being thin is a bit about deprivation. It has to be reasonable, but, it is a bit about deprivation and learning to be hungry sometimes.

I completely agree it is unreasonable to not cheat now and again, but, it is a very different way to live than when I didn't have a care in the world. The benefits of health outweigh the negatives, but it certainly isn't as fun at mealtime.

This pretty much hits it on the head for me at this point in time if I try to cut calories. It has changed over the past couple of years since I did my big weight loss. At that time, I didn't feel deprived while losing most of the time and when I did, I took a little break. Nowadays I feel deprived no matter my calorie deficit or macro breakdown when I am in a deficit. At my maintenance calories, I am fine.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited October 2016
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation. To eat at a deficit I must deprive my body of food so that it will use fat stores. What method of deprivation will be successful is highly individualized.

Probably for you deprivation and not going for excess are all the same thing. For me they are different meanings so therefore I get the OP's message (though it's a very narrow point). For me if I deny my enjoyment of 2 pieces based on some weird idea while having this amount doesn't negatively affect my weight, that's deprivation. But not going for 5 pieces which is an excessive amount for my wt isn't deprivation. It's normal, healthy. Deprivation is opposite of healthy. No?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation. To eat at a deficit I must deprive my body of food so that it will use fat stores. What method of deprivation will be successful is highly individualized.

Probably for you deprivation and not going for excess are all the same thing. For me they are different meanings so therefore I get the OP's message (though it's a very narrow point). For me if I deny my enjoyment of 2 pieces based on some weird idea while having this amount doesn't negatively affect my weight, that's deprivation. But not going for 5 pieces which is an excessive amount for my wt isn't deprivation. It's normal, healthy. Deprivation is opposite of healthy. No?

I looked up the definition of "deprivation" just to be sure I answered correctly. Google gave me this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deprivation
    Simple Definition of deprivation

: the state of not having something that people need : the state of being deprived of something

So to answer your question, long term deprivation of something we need would be unhealthy. Short term may or may not. If we deprive ourselves of something that's not a necessity it would depend on the something.

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on my random pizza example, but pizza is certainly not a necessity nor was I talking about myself.

I feel like I'm in a "I'm not on a diet" thread. I'm not on a diet I'm just eating less to lose weight. Okay then. ::laugh::
  • endlessfall16
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation.

See ... I look at that sort of thing as 'returning to my normal eating habits' ... I had kind of gotten off track and/or gave myself permission to eat a lot more than I normally eat for a little while, and I gained weight. No surprise.

That's what I did too.

It's more helpful to me to reframe two pieces of pizza or skipping dessert on a particular day or not snacking between meals (as that's the meal pattern that works best for me) as something other than "deprivation." I suppose some could find it beneficial mentally to focus on it being deprivation, however, although I'd bet that's more unusual.

It's interesting, the crux of the entire thread is about how this doesn't have to be a miserable experience, that losing weight can be something other than suffering, maybe even an enjoyable experience. Yet I guess there will always be people in the world with a glass half empty outlook that frame it in the negative rather than trying to focus on the positive aspects of weight loss. The OP was trying to teach people to think "wow, you mean I can still have pizza while I'm losing weight? I don't have to give it up altogether?" But then some focus on how they aren't eating 5 pieces like they used to. Personally I think that reinforces the "weight loss is hard why bother trying" mentality and it's a shame because this thread has been so supportive, encouraging and hopefully eye opening to people who are losing motivation...

I think you're quite negative when you start judging and deciding what's negative, etc. I just see that people are expanding on the OP's topic. It's always good to see more angles. In fact that's how I came up my approach -- by seeing it from 10 different angles and making sure that everything gels and doesn't contradict one another. Everything should work in term of logic, philosophy, biological, etc. That's how I ensure a smooth running engine.

So she says that people should focus on the positive side of things and you think that's being negative?

And she does that by first thinking negatively of some of the posts.
  • endlessfall16

I looked up the definition of "deprivation" just to be sure I answered correctly. Google gave me this:

: the state of not having something that people need : the state of being deprived of something

So to answer your question, long term deprivation of something we need would be unhealthy. Short term may or may not. If we deprive ourselves of something that's not a necessity it would depend on the something.

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on my random pizza example, but pizza is certainly not a necessity nor was I talking about myself.

I feel like I'm in a "I'm not on a diet" thread. I'm not on a diet I'm just eating less to lose weight. Okay then. ::laugh::

If anything, that definition that you pull up only confirms my point. Not having 5 pieces of pizza, an excess and is not something you *need*, is not depriving yourself. Now, not having any pizza at all -- on the premise that having two pieces doesn't affect your wt and in fact what you need per your culinary tradition, social need -- would meet the definition of deprivation.

I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm only talking to you on an idea. Pizza is a decent example to use in this case but you can sub it for any food. Pizza or a specific food may not be a necessity to a person but it is to some people. There are plenty of dishes that are necessity to me, per my upbringing, lifestyle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

If anything, that definition that you pull up only confirms my point. Not having 5 pieces of pizza, an excess and is not something you *need*, is not depriving yourself. Now, not having any pizza at all -- on the premise that having two pieces doesn't affect your wt and in fact what you need per your culinary tradition, social need -- would meet the definition of deprivation.

I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm only talking to you on an idea. Pizza is a decent example to use in this case but you can sub it for any food. Pizza or a specific food may not be a necessity to a person but it is to some people. There are plenty of dishes that are necessity to me, per my upbringing, lifestyle.

Even while thinking it's complete baloney I love the bolded phrase so much I'll concede the point. Social need. :)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    If I don't deprive myself I won't lose weight. Whether it's eating 2 pieces of pizza when I want 5, or not eating pizza at all, it's all deprivation.

See ... I look at that sort of thing as 'returning to my normal eating habits' ... I had kind of gotten off track and/or gave myself permission to eat a lot more than I normally eat for a little while, and I gained weight. No surprise.

That's what I did too.

It's more helpful to me to reframe two pieces of pizza or skipping dessert on a particular day or not snacking between meals (as that's the meal pattern that works best for me) as something other than "deprivation." I suppose some could find it beneficial mentally to focus on it being deprivation, however, although I'd bet that's more unusual.

It's interesting, the crux of the entire thread is about how this doesn't have to be a miserable experience, that losing weight can be something other than suffering, maybe even an enjoyable experience. Yet I guess there will always be people in the world with a glass half empty outlook that frame it in the negative rather than trying to focus on the positive aspects of weight loss. The OP was trying to teach people to think "wow, you mean I can still have pizza while I'm losing weight? I don't have to give it up altogether?" But then some focus on how they aren't eating 5 pieces like they used to. Personally I think that reinforces the "weight loss is hard why bother trying" mentality and it's a shame because this thread has been so supportive, encouraging and hopefully eye opening to people who are losing motivation...

I think you're quite negative when you start judging and deciding what's negative, etc. I just see that people are expanding on the OP's topic. It's always good to see more angles. In fact that's how I came up my approach -- by seeing it from 10 different angles and making sure that everything gels and doesn't contradict one another. Everything should work in term of logic, philosophy, biological, etc. That's how I ensure a smooth running engine.

So she says that people should focus on the positive side of things and you think that's being negative?

...where people are talking about food in a negative way. <confused>
  • endlessfall16

Even while thinking it's complete baloney I love the bolded phrase so much I'll concede the point. Social need. :)

I'm not one to corner people or have to have the last words :) but I'm amazed that you don't have the concept that there are foods that people have a need for. Turkey on Thanksgiving maybe? My friends and I have to have pizza and beer every few weeks after our sport session. :) Cheers.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

That's what I did too.

...where people are talking about food in a negative way. <confused>

I'm definitely confused. I feel a bit like:

tumblr_m6ag5nl30g1qbfa4xo1_500.gif