Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Don't deprive yourself or you'll never last the distance!

How many times and how many ways can we say this, so that the message spreads out past the crash diets, scams, and urban myths that make up the weight loss industry?

Why do so many new MFPers think they need to survive on salad and green tea, then wonder why they can't stick to their diet?

How would you let a newbie know they don't have to do this?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Endorsed!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Agree but clearly I don't think anyone has "the answer" to this problem other than to point out repeatedly why it's a problem whenever it comes up as it so often does.

Indeed! I just had to rephrase the point a few times for a few newbies in a few threads.

The more who know this, the more can let others know.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "depriving yourself"? Do you mean if you want to eat something, eat it just make sure it's in your calorie allowance?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Amen OP.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've just posted this as my woe and asked for help! How do you embed healthy as a lifestyle choice? The second I take my eye off the ball I pile back on my problem half a stone.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. It's a learning curve though. Like a little kid sometimes they gotta go through the obstacle course that is the "personal health journey" and let them come out of the other side with the wisdom we also learned. That or just drill it down their throats that it's not necessary to eat salad and run away from sugar for the rest of their lives. It's cute.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I see it in the food diaries of people I'm friends with on here too- whenever they undereat their already low calorie allowance for a day or 2, I see that the day after that they go way over their calories, if they even bother track them at all.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...of course we don't have to suffer on a diet of kale and matcha but...if you can't eat just a few potatoes chips, or if a spoonful of ice cream always ends in eating the whole tub it's not going to derail your goals to not buy/eat them for as long as it takes to get those triggers out of your head.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've just posted this as my woe and asked for help! How do you embed healthy as a lifestyle choice? The second I take my eye off the ball I pile back on my problem half a stone.

Unfortunately the answer to that is not taking your eye off the ball.