Eating the foods you hate

Options
1234568»

Replies

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First world problems in this thread, we have all this nutritious food readily available to us but we'll only deign to eat it if we know for sure it's one of our faves. Smells a little like entitlement, however it tastes.

What the heck. The fact that you even needed to write this baffles me. This whole website is revolved around first world problems. Can you imagine someone in a 3rd world country worrying about the fact they ate too much over the last 10 years and now need to lose weight??

Applause! Spot on!
  • jimenaspam
    jimenaspam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to figure out I don't like anything even SLIGHTLY bitter. Turns out I'm a supertaster!
    The only way I can eat green vegetables is hidden in a green smoothie, so I have one every day, and I'm done with the yucky stuff. turns out I can sneak other stuff into the smoothie that's helpful, like flax, chia and hemp hearts.
    I would NOT have been able to lose the weight without smoothies.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to eat foods you hate? So many foods in the world to choose from, if you truly don't like something I don't know why you need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

Because it's about trying to like something that you normally don't. I get what the poster is saying. I think certain things look really good and I want to like them but I for some reason I just don't. Mustard, olives, nuts, sushi...I'm hoping my tastes change over time and if I keep trying these things maybe one day I'll actually enjoy them. I don't force myself regularly, but every now and then I'll give em a go again and see what sticks.

I wouldn't call that forcing yourself to eat foods you hate. I would call that trying foods to see if you like...

Same difference. You know you normally don't like them so you force yourself to keep trying it to see if you could end up liking it

Trying something I've never tried, or haven't tried in years, or a new preparation of something to see if I like it is one thing. Using words like "forcing myself to keep trying it" makes it sound like a totally unpleasant experience and I'm not sure why anyone would engage in that. That's the difference....

Because you're taste change and you might one day like it. I'm not saying eat something you hate everyday, I'm saying try what you hate occasionally to see if you can ever like it. Maybe try it in different ways or preparations to see if you might like it.

Right. Which is what I said in my first sentence.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I never knew so many people hated bananas!
    I thought I knew you...

whereas me, i feel like i've found my lost tribe.

thank goodness. it isn't just me.