confused how weight loss has stopped

Options
I have lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks and feeling good it was coming off. not starving myself but mostly under 900 calories. i was advised this was too low so upped to about 1000 calories a day in past week.i have now gained 2pounds. i am gutted. i used to eat over 2500 calories a day, so how can eating less than half this a day do anything other than make me lose weight. im not exercising yet but surely the huge drop in calories would just keep melosing weight :-(

Replies

• wishingsize8back
    wishingsize8back Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories isn't going to be doing you any favours in the long run, particularly eating under 900 calories. Most of the weight you have likely lost is fluid and lean body mass due to the significant under eating.

You haven't gained 2lb in fat, its probably fluid gain due to rehydration, hopefully you are drinking additional fluid.

It will take a while for your body to stablise, you've been under-eating...give a few weeks.

thanks , i was told on here i was undereating hence i upped my calories, but then to find i was gaining was disheartening. i never considered it could be fluid. thanks for your advice :-)
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat so little is not sustainable and will likely cause you binge and cheat. Calorie budgets should be based on your current size.

Weight loss is a process that should not be rushed. Those who rush through don't learn habits that will keep them at their goal weight and end up gaining it all back plus some typically because they go back to their old way of eating.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP - how tall are you? And what is your current weight and your goal weight?

Here are some things for you consider:

d0e471qoczbe.jpg
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You need balance and to develop a healthy relationship with food. Food fuels and nourishes your body, makes it work properly and guards against disease. Starving yourself - you wonder why your body is rebelling against you?

Spend 15 minutes a day researching food and nutrition..super foods... heart health.. how to prevent diabetes.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks and feeling good it was coming off. not starving myself but mostly under 900 calories. i was advised this was too low so upped to about 1000 calories a day in past week.i have now gained 2pounds. i am gutted. i used to eat over 2500 calories a day, so how can eating less than half this a day do anything other than make me lose weight. im not exercising yet but surely the huge drop in calories would just keep melosing weight :-(

You really do need to re-calculate taking in effect what weight you are now. 900-1000 calories a day is not sustainable. How much do you need to lose? In general (obviously not set in stone) recommendations are if you only have 10-20 pounds to go then calculate for a 0.5 pound a week loss. If you have 20-50 pounds then try for 1 pound a week. 50+ you can shoot for 2 pounds a week.

But often people do lose 10 pounds quickly because 2/3 of it is due to water woosh. When you up calories often a few pounds woosh back on because glycogen stores are replenished in the muscles and liver. Water binds to glycogen. So what you are experiencing is normal. Shoot for 1-2 pounds a week on average. When you get close to goal it may slow down.

It is normal to fluctuate a certain amount daily. Weigh at the same time each day preferably in the morning before you eat anything and after going to the bathroom. You might want to get to 5 pounds under goal to account for the inevitable water woosh.

But everyone is different and some lose a pound or two a week all the way to goal. I've never been able to do that. You aren't doing yourself any favors starving yourself as you might experience rebound weight or develop binge eating due to hunger and stress. Just relax and make some lifestyle changes. Try not to eat above maintenance or you will gain weight. What you gained is not fat. No way can you gain a pound of fat by upping calories by 100 a day unless you are above your TDEE.

A 2 pound gain is nothing. You netted a 10 pound loss in 4 weeks which is well above average. So you can set a reasonable goal. I wish I knew back when I originally started dieting what I know now.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You're stressing yourself out over very few data points here, it's counter-productive. And you shouldn't have to be eating so few calories to produce a workable deficit either.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    As silly as this sounds, you have to eat in order to lose weight.. And while that sounds "out there in left field", your body will fight to help keep you alive (not to be dramatic) and eating too little compounds all your efforts to lose weight. I can write out a huge list of things that happen when eating too little, but hopefully from all the posts here, you realize that this is unnecessary to achieve your goal.

You must (and please listen to these ladies) eat the min 1200 and preferably with additional exercise calories if you do or will plan to exercise in the future..
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    As silly as this sounds, you have to eat in order to lose weight.. And while that sounds "out there in left field", your body will fight to help keep you alive (not to be dramatic) and eating too little compounds all your efforts to lose weight. I can write out a huge list of things that happen when eating too little, but hopefully from all the posts here, you realize that this is unnecessary to achieve your goal.

You must (and please listen to these ladies) eat the min 1200 and preferably with additional exercise calories if you do or will plan to exercise in the future..

What is most likely happening is that the 900 calories being quoted is an inaccurate count and the OP needs to weigh and log everything she eats. Your body can't hold on to weight if you're really in a deficit. Weight loss might slow down slightly over time in extreme cases, but it can't violate the laws of physics.

Also OP, as weight is lost, you have to update your weight in MFP and have it recalculate your calorie/macro goals. When you weigh less, your body requires fewer calories to maintain that weight and you have to create a new deficit by eating less or burning more. Just be sure to weigh and log everything and definitely don't eat 900 actual calories, it's way too low.
  • wishingsize8back
    wishingsize8back Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys people really take the time to help in here it just astounds me how supportive and kind you all are.great advice xx
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys people really take the time to help in here it just astounds me how supportive and kind you all are.great advice xx

Kudos to you for taking it on board OP! It's refreshing to see your attitude. Hopefully you'll move forward from strength to strength with a new focus.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    There's a strong chance that a few of the 12lbs you lost early on was water weight and now some of that water came back. If you can average 2lbs lost per week you are doing amazing.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just came across this thread and I had a similar question

I was also surprised as 900 calories sounds low -in fact the mfp app on the phone won't calculate your progress unless you eat a minimum of 1000 calories per day - it tells you that your body can go in starvation mode.

I was in a very similar situation to the OP (eating over 2000 calories a day) and had to drop to about 1400 based on the mfp tool recommendation. It sounded scary at first but since I was serious (this time) I measured and logged everything. A serving of rice (half a cup) is about a third of what I would eat before!

I found the daily habit of logging anything (literally everything) that went into my mouth to be the "A-ha" moment for weight loss. I could not guess at what I was eating, I had to measure to get it right.

Things that "seemed" healthy (store bought granola?) weren't really healthy (besides the correct measured serving of store bought granola is less than what I used to think was an appropriate serving)

There were some really good tips to my question - if I could rephrase - monitoring your food intake will be your best friend for weight loss and weight management once you get to your ideal weight. Listen to your body to find what works to get you satiated (something I'm still learning to do). If you haven't already - add lots of fibrous vegetables to your meals. Also add healthy fats and get your protein targets.

All the best!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @extra_medium
    OP, you need to weigh ALL solid and semi solid food, and only use cups and spoons for actual liquids. Weigh pre-packaged food, too as they can be off by about 20%.

Change your weight loss to .5lbs per week. If you weigh all your food, you will see losses.
    1chana23 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and I had a similar question

I was also surprised as 900 calories sounds low -in fact the mfp app on the phone won't calculate your progress unless you eat a minimum of 1000 calories per day - it tells you that your body can go in starvation mode.

I was in a very similar situation to the OP (eating over 2000 calories a day) and had to drop to about 1400 based on the mfp tool recommendation. It sounded scary at first but since I was serious (this time) I measured and logged everything. A serving of rice (half a cup) is about a third of what I would eat before!

I found the daily habit of logging anything (literally everything) that went into my mouth to be the "A-ha" moment for weight loss. I could not guess at what I was eating, I had to measure to get it right.

Things that "seemed" healthy (store bought granola?) weren't really healthy (besides the correct measured serving of store bought granola is less than what I used to think was an appropriate serving)

There were some really good tips to my question - if I could rephrase - monitoring your food intake will be your best friend for weight loss and weight management once you get to your ideal weight. Listen to your body to find what works to get you satiated (something I'm still learning to do). If you haven't already - add lots of fibrous vegetables to your meals. Also add healthy fats and get your protein targets.

All the best!!

I have never seen the app mention 'starvation mode'
    *starvation mode isn't really a thing, as in "If you eat so little your body will hold on to all its fat" thing...