confused how weight loss has stopped

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @cerise_noir the starvation mode message used to come up when I first started here in 2014, they've since changed it.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @extra_medium
    OP, you need to weigh ALL solid and semi solid food, and only use cups and spoons for actual liquids. Weigh pre-packaged food, too as they can be off by about 20%.

Change your weight loss to .5lbs per week. If you weigh all your food, you will see losses.
    1chana23 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and I had a similar question

I was also surprised as 900 calories sounds low -in fact the mfp app on the phone won't calculate your progress unless you eat a minimum of 1000 calories per day - it tells you that your body can go in starvation mode.

I was in a very similar situation to the OP (eating over 2000 calories a day) and had to drop to about 1400 based on the mfp tool recommendation. It sounded scary at first but since I was serious (this time) I measured and logged everything. A serving of rice (half a cup) is about a third of what I would eat before!

I found the daily habit of logging anything (literally everything) that went into my mouth to be the "A-ha" moment for weight loss. I could not guess at what I was eating, I had to measure to get it right.

Things that "seemed" healthy (store bought granola?) weren't really healthy (besides the correct measured serving of store bought granola is less than what I used to think was an appropriate serving)

There were some really good tips to my question - if I could rephrase - monitoring your food intake will be your best friend for weight loss and weight management once you get to your ideal weight. Listen to your body to find what works to get you satiated (something I'm still learning to do). If you haven't already - add lots of fibrous vegetables to your meals. Also add healthy fats and get your protein targets.

All the best!!

I have never seen the app mention 'starvation mode'
    *starvation mode isn't really a thing, as in "If you eat so little your body will hold on to all its fat" thing...

It used to mention starvation mode if you tried to close out your diary and were under 1000 calories for the day. I just now noticed that they have changed the pop up and took that part out.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @cerise_noir the starvation mode message used to come up when I first started here in 2014, they've since changed it.
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Agreed with @extra_medium
    OP, you need to weigh ALL solid and semi solid food, and only use cups and spoons for actual liquids. Weigh pre-packaged food, too as they can be off by about 20%.

Change your weight loss to .5lbs per week. If you weigh all your food, you will see losses.
    wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and I had a similar question

I was also surprised as 900 calories sounds low -in fact the mfp app on the phone won't calculate your progress unless you eat a minimum of 1000 calories per day - it tells you that your body can go in starvation mode.

I was in a very similar situation to the OP (eating over 2000 calories a day) and had to drop to about 1400 based on the mfp tool recommendation. It sounded scary at first but since I was serious (this time) I measured and logged everything. A serving of rice (half a cup) is about a third of what I would eat before!

I found the daily habit of logging anything (literally everything) that went into my mouth to be the "A-ha" moment for weight loss. I could not guess at what I was eating, I had to measure to get it right.

Things that "seemed" healthy (store bought granola?) weren't really healthy (besides the correct measured serving of store bought granola is less than what I used to think was an appropriate serving)

There were some really good tips to my question - if I could rephrase - monitoring your food intake will be your best friend for weight loss and weight management once you get to your ideal weight. Listen to your body to find what works to get you satiated (something I'm still learning to do). If you haven't already - add lots of fibrous vegetables to your meals. Also add healthy fats and get your protein targets.

All the best!!

I have never seen the app mention 'starvation mode'
    *starvation mode isn't really a thing, as in "If you eat so little your body will hold on to all its fat" thing...

It used to mention starvation mode if you tried to close out your diary and were under 1000 calories for the day. I just now noticed that they have changed the pop up and took that part out.

That explains a LOT! Thanks!
    I am glad that it has been changed. All it seems to do is confuse people. There has been a few days where I was ill and couldn't hit my calorie goal and didn't even come across that 'starvation mode' message.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    As silly as this sounds, you have to eat in order to lose weight.. And while that sounds "out there in left field", your body will fight to help keep you alive (not to be dramatic) and eating too little compounds all your efforts to lose weight. I can write out a huge list of things that happen when eating too little, but hopefully from all the posts here, you realize that this is unnecessary to achieve your goal.

You must (and please listen to these ladies) eat the min 1200 and preferably with additional exercise calories if you do or will plan to exercise in the future..

What is most likely happening is that the 900 calories being quoted is an inaccurate count and the OP needs to weigh and log everything she eats. Your body can't hold on to weight if you're really in a deficit. Weight loss might slow down slightly over time in extreme cases, but it can't violate the laws of physics.

Also OP, as weight is lost, you have to update your weight in MFP and have it recalculate your calorie/macro goals. When you weigh less, your body requires fewer calories to maintain that weight and you have to create a new deficit by eating less or burning more. Just be sure to weigh and log everything and definitely don't eat 900 actual calories, it's way too low.

Yep and I totally get that, and have been there quite a few times my self.

Its called stress and water retention. I mentioned nothing about the body holding on to fat stores or holding on to weight.. this all related to hormones and to get technical cortisol, ghrelin, leptin and even thyroid and to add in the mix OP being female and you have a host of things going on inside the body resisting. Hense need to feed the body what it needs..
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In order to give you good sound advice, it would help to know what weight you started at and your stats.

Age..Height..Weight..Physical activity level.

You certainly can go on 900 calories for a short time (depending on your stats and gender) Long term, this would not be recommended or healthy.

Other than that, short term should be fine. I am 58, Male , 5'11 and started at 308 pounds. I went on a 1200 calorie a day diet (1200-1300) for about 3 months..fairly strict.

My Dr knew about it..never said boo..He simply said, your body will tell you how you're doing. He was right..There were days I could tell, I did not have enough fuel, and I would add calories.

I have since upped that as I have went along. Everyone is different and Doctors are different too. It all depends on you, (age, gender, height. weight, activity level etc.)

Find a balance that works for you..but be willing to adjust. Listen to your body. If you are under-fueled, too low in calories, your body will tell you.

I'm not a Dr, but heavier people can go lower, perhaps easier, as they have fat stored which can easily be burned off when you lower the calories.

If you're not all that overweight, then be careful on how low you go, and for how long.

I wish you success on your journey.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate up to a 5 lb gain some days. It can be a bit frustrating, but then I always try to look at the long term overall trend. Here's what it looks like when I weigh daily, all over the place up and down, but overall it's steadily down. q7z24d4iwx9g.png