Should you weigh yourself everyday?

Options
13»

Replies

• Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily, but only update MFP progress on a Monday.

Ooh i like this way of doing it!
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lacked energy as well when I started but it was because I weighed 220 pounds, sat at a desk all day, and made no effort to do any other activity. It's incredibly difficult to break the inertia of being inactive, but once you start to do that then it's a positive feedback loop. The more active you become the more activity you want to do! I really hope the jumpstart works and that you will find a successful way to transition off the medicine. No one really can say what works for you, only you can. But the MFP community does tend to immediately and harshly judge folks who use diet pills (which you've likely noticed already). Props to you for resisting temptation in Vegas, although I've lost 42 pounds and feel pretty solid in my eating habits, I'm not sure I could tackle that challenge yet!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

You shouldn't have to feel like you need to defend yourself to any judgmental or self-righteous comments -- and definitely nothing that is accusative.

People need to understand not everyone is the same. Math is one thing and everybody's body is different.

You said you are seeing a primary doctor. Can you ask for a referral to see an endocrinologist? They can run a number of tests to see if your metabolism is running right. They also do a test to measure your basal metabolism (you breathe in a machine that measures co2 for ten minutes). Knowing your basal metabolism will give you an idea about how many calories you are supposed to eat. Even if height and weight match everyone's composition is different. And calories aren't everything. Lots of research suggests that "intermittent fasting"-- eating your calories in a shorter span of time-- and low carbing can help people with metabolic issues.

As for phen. -- my endocr. just recommended it and I've been doing a lot of research on it as medicine is always scary. Here is the most useful information I found: the effects of the drug pass after three-four weeks. In other words the body develops some kind of tolerance.
    It raises blood pressure and that's something to watch for. For a short period of time I don't know if it will really damage heart valves as one user here said (I have MVP). My doctor ran an ekg and thinks I should be fine.
    I wouldn't drink coffee or even a lot of coke on it as it already raises heart rate.

It's great that you have seen that the scale can move. Sometimes one needs to see that. I'm just beginning my weight loss journey and I need to see that, especially because for health reasons I feel like I need to do this quickly and not with low calories. Phen definitely helped the scale move because it helped your body do the things that are necessary to lose weight like speeding up your metabolism, appetite suppressing, and giving you more energy. But according to studies there is no point in taking it longer than a month. So maybe think about feasible ways for you to speed up your metabolism, suppress appetite (though you say you don't eat much), and feeling more energy.

All of this will be much easier with a partner in crime. My companion refuses to eat healthy or reasonably so it's a bit hard for me to not go out for lunch or dinner etc. But if you can enlist some support, it would be great.

Good luck!
    There's so much denial and moving of goalposts here that I'm feeling numb. I'm not even sure you are telling us what your doctor really said. OP, nothing good will happen until you get your *kitten* together and start being honest and consistent. Weight loss is simple, and can be quite easy when you do the right things right. Farting around takes you nowhere.

Well you can think what you like and be unsure of what I'm saying. That's cool. I've tried so many times before and wasn't really serious. This time, I'm trying to get help on what to eat and what will nourish my body. I got tired of starting over so I'm going to stop giving up. Weight loss isn't simple for everyone. Especially those who live in the south and weren't raised around proper nutrition where everything is fried and mashed potatoes with a lot of butter is a staple in a home trying to make ends meet. With all my past surgeries, weight loss has been hard. I don't have the normal hormone levels that a girl should due to those surgeries. Not only is my primary care dr monitoring me, but my OB/GYN is having to as well due to past medical history. Being on Phentermine is absolutely the last thing I wanted, but it's helped me lose 10 pounds in one week when I wasn't losing anything before and the boost in energy helped a lot. The only thing that I'm unsure of is how long I'm going to take the medicine. The max amount I can get is 3 months but after getting 20 pounds off, I thought it might be good to stop there and go on my own. No, for once in my life I'm not in denial. I know what I'm eating and hold myself accountable. Fact of the matter is I'm tired of having to go to only one store to buy clothes. I hate the way I look and I'm so repulsive that I hate looking in the mirror because all I see is how fat I am. So believe what you want about what I'm saying. I wouldn't be here and be tracking what I'm eating and my activity if I wasn't serious this time and after stepping on the scale and seeing the 10 pounds gone, that was a huge motivator and the whole class yesterday in kickboxing was really supportive and that was helpful as well.