"I've never regretted NOT eating something."

lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just wanted to share this awesome quote I read on another forum (I'm sorry that I can't find the original source.).

This really applied to me this past weekend. My family and I went out of town and stayed in a hotel. Now, I don't usually eat breakfast--I do IF, and if I do happen to eat in the morning I find myself hungrier throughout the day. But when a hotel breakfast has sausage or bacon, I usually can't resist. Only this time, when we went downstairs for the hotel breakfast, there was no sausage or bacon, only ham which I can pass on. And I found it interesting that instead of feeling like I was missing out, I found myself feeling so relieved that there was no sausage or bacon! If there had been I would've eaten it and felt worse afterwards, psychologically AND hunger-wise. Instead I had my usual coffee and enjoyed my regular morning routine. That's when I recalled this quote I had read which I completely agree with: "I've never regretted not eating something." When I first read this, I realized there really never has been a time that I've regretted passing on food. There have, however, been many times that I've regretted EATING a particular food.

What about you – – have you ever regretted NOT eating something? Would this quote help you to pass on eating something when faced with
a tempting food that you hadn't planned on, or that you don't normally eat?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Had to think about this for a second.... but no never regretted NOT eating something.. First, I am sure what ever that was, it will come around again and allow me to go through the same thought processes and I may or may not react the same way..I may eat it the next time..

Secondly, I really do not have any regrets when it comes to eating, I am fully aware at all times what I am choosing at the moment, how it will affect me now and even later on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I understand this totally.

Good realization.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    oh i have. not often cause i have very little impulse control. i have regretted eating things in far greater numbers though. yesterday i had a grilled cheese pita at a bar. it was terrible but i ate it anyway cause i was hungry.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I have regretted not eating certain things but it's just the fat/unhealthy part of me that regrets it. At the same time the "healthy" me is happy about it. Like a silver lining. Just yesterday I wanted some sweetfrog sugary goodness and I regretted it the whole tine I was grocery shopping but later when I added my calories for the day I stopped regretting it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yesterday I went out for breakfast and I regret not having the breakfast burrito because the pancakes were just ok...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I have regretted not eating things. It's just so much easier when tempting delicious low nutrient high calorie treats aren't around to begin with. Otherwise I have to sit in front of it and try to figure out which I'm going to regret more, eating it or not eating it. If I can manage it, having a small amount is often the solution.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Definitely have regretted not eating things.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    OP here--I can definitely see where skipping eating something as an anorexic is certainly not something you should do. I guess I take this quote to mean, in a normal situation, when simply faced with the decision to eat or not eat something tempting, if you chose NOT to eat it, would you regret not having taken in those particular calories? I can honestly say that later, when looking back, there has never been a time that I've regretted skipping those calories (usually something calorie dense and nutrient lacking). Therefore, this is something I try to think about when deciding whether or not to eat say, a particular chocolate chip cookie, when it's not something I had planned on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yesterday I went out for breakfast and I regret not having the breakfast burrito because the pancakes were just ok...

Yeah that's often how it works for me too.. but it's more about being annoyed about wasting calories on mediocre food (which totally pisses me off now).

And no, I never regret not eating something... but it's because I have it if I want it badly enough. If I passed on it in the first place, I just didn't want it that much, so of course I won't have any regret for not eating it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

This is what keeps me from ordering new things once I've found one I like at a restaurant.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    I can't think of a specific case, but I would regret *not* eating something if it was a rare opportunity to try it (and an opportunity not likely to be repeated any time soon).

e.g. We went to a really fancy restaurant once and they had duck (which I had never tried before). If I had not ordered the duck, I would have regretted it. I try not to set myself up for regrets like that.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    I had a 28oz porterhouse this Thursday and it damn near killed me! I had it medium with a little homemade steak sauce and it was delish. That night, I couldn't sleep! I was de-hydrated, stomach was hurting, so much physical discomfort, and lots of sweating. I haven't eaten much since that day. I've been eating soft foods and trying my hands at non-soft foods. Nothing fried, only baked, and the thought of steak makes my stomach ache. It's like me and tequila, the smell of it reminds my body about the last encounter I had with it. Not pretty, but entertaining for most! I won't really be eating much until a lot later on in the week. But I think I'm done with fried food and steak for quite some time....everything else, in time will be fair game...
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I have. I really like food, cooking, and restaurants to the point where it's a hobby. I like to feed my family and friends.
    I've regretted passing on unique foods that I don't often get to eat or try. We had a renowned baker in the city who up and moved to Brooklyn, and I kept putting off trying his bread (I love bread). I regret not visiting my friend's husband's restaurant that sounded amazing before he closed it to open a new restaurant.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    And no, I never regret not eating something... but it's because I have it if I want it badly enough.

This.

Along a similar line, I pay pretty close attention to my body. So even if, later on, I feel bloated or the scale doesn't move the direction I want, I can think back to my overindulgence without regret. You dam' right I ate that second helping of "Southern Style Eggs Benedict." It was 100% worth it.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    I binge eat, I went hungry alot as a child and now because of that I binge eat, not just on unhealthy food either I have binged on celery til I was sick. Now I go through periods were food disgust me and I physically can not eat, just the smell f food makes me sick. This has caused me to deny myself food often and regret it later. Last night I wasn't feeling well and my boyfriend offered me dairy queen I've been wanting to try the apple pie blizzard but said no I reqret it now.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I was at a cocktail party the other night. I really regret not eating the bacon wrapped scallops before they ran out. They looked delicious!