"I've never regretted NOT eating something."

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I did regret not eating something several times :(

One of my earliest memories was when the whole family went swimming. I was playing in the baby pool (a special nonslip padded "pool" for toddlers with barely 10 inches of water) and refused to get out for refreshments and snacks. There was this street vendor who pushed a cart selling ice cream. All the kids in our family bought ice cream and I just wanted to keep playing. When I finally got tired and was all pruney, I had one of my earliest regrets ever. Sure, I made my parents buy me ice cream, but that street vendor ice cream had this special richness to it, homemade and very flavorful.

Another event I remember was in college, around the end of the second semester of my second year. My roommate's friend was an exchange students from Greece, and she decided to throw a small farewell party for her. I didn't want to go because I had an exam and needed to study. When she came back she brought me some leftover food from the party. There was this tiny piece of moussaka, the best I have ever had in my life. Had I known, it would have probably been worth sacrificing a couple of marks to eat more of that.

I have several similar stories. Now if you mean while dieting, yes, I do have food regrets too. Like this one time when I ordered a salad to save calories and it wasn't very good but I didn't have enough money on me to order a second dish. I should have gone with the hot dogs that I initially wanted. Then there is this other time where I was saving calories for an event and chose to skip the shish kebab on a family gathering then the event got cancelled and I ended up with extra calories that I spent on various odds and ends that don't even remotely compare to my uncle's kebab. Several other stories too numerous to list..

Yes, there are times when I regret eating something, but it's not nearly as often as I savor the foods I like with zero regrets. I don't know, tasty food is a whole new level of pleasure for me that it ends up worth every single calorie spent and missing on it feels like a loss. Think those chocolate commercials where the model is enjoying it so much it's almost arousing.. well, that's me without the facial expressions and suggestive sultry voice.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I think it is a shame to pass on food at a special occasion or holiday. I think if I didn't enjoy my Christmas day meal or Thanksgiving I would regret it. Those times are special and food is part of the celebration. However, those times aside.. you just have to learn to pass on every single urge to eat whatever you want. I don't regret those decisions.. in fact that make me stronger.

I think the quote the represents me best is "I never regret exercising" that's how i'm able to eat what I want.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think it is a shame to pass on food at a special occasion or holiday. I think if I didn't enjoy my Christmas day meal or Thanksgiving I would regret it. Those times are special and food is part of the celebration. However, those times aside.. you just have to learn to pass on every single urge to eat whatever you want. I don't regret those decisions.. in fact that make me stronger.

I think the quote the represents me best is "I never regret exercising" that's how i'm able to eat what I want.

I tell myself 'just 15 more minutes' to finish my workouts and just tell myself that I'd just be sitting on the couch otherwise anyway... same reason I often end up going for walks when I have nothing to do for an hour. But I'm with you - I'd never have lost the weight without exercise.

But I've definitely regretted exercising a couple times (when I pushed too hard and had to stop working out for a couple days or something)!
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    I tend to not regret it too. Mainly because I didn't want it lol. I get what you mean though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Yes and no. I regret the times that i chose to isolate myself and not go out with friends and family because i was on a diet. I don't regret not having that extra bite of ice cream at 2AM.
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    I agree! I have never regretted not eating something afterward. Maybe I'm regretting it while other people are eating it but not afterward. :-)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The philosophy "I've never regretted not eating something" sounds dangerously like a proANA slogan, similar to "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I think there are healthier ways to approach caloric awareness.

I regret choosing a brutal 1200 calorie slim fast regimen over a delicious varied diet when I lost weight at 19. It worked, but I was so miserable the experience made me terrified of weight loss and played significantly into my resistance to controlling my weight when it crept back up.

I have serious allergies to soy and peanuts, and I miss out in social experiences and new food a lot. It's not an option for me because many foods could be fatal, but there is no way I'd choose this lifestyle for the sake of my weight loss efforts. I'd make the calories work, like I do with many things I enjoy (such as my homemade cookies and pies).

I don't regret cutting calories and getting down to 166 from 270 over the last two years. That was an excellent decision and well worth the effort. This time I've generally allowed myself to eat what I desire; just not in the quantities I once consumed.

As I said before, I'm not in any way promoting anorexia, anymore than any of us here are by trying to lose weight! I didn't post this quote to say "I've never regretted starving myself." I'm just saying that when faced with a choice to eat something particular that is high-calorie or "unhealthy" that might derail my weight loss goal, I don't later regret the choice not to. In the meantime I might have eaten something healthy and in line with my daily calorie goals--I'm not just avoiding food altogether, and I'm not suggesting that!

Please don't interject hidden (dangerous) meaning into something when I've already clearly stated that is NOT what I meant.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Well, I don't usually pass up things I want but I don't feel I have to eat things just because they are there. I don't think I have iron willpower but I plan my choices and stick to them pretty easily. If I knew bacon was on the menu I would plan for it.

Yes, I regret not eating something. I absolutely regret not eating breakfast or lunch every school day when I was 12- 17 years. I was hungry most of the day but didn't eat until I got home. I was underweight, tired and sick a lot. Eating more and getting better nutrition probably would have helped immensely. If I could go back in time and change that situation I would. Looking back I'm surprised that no adult in my life said anything. My peers didn't say anything. It wasn't a secret I wasn't eating much.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Oh yes, I do regret not eating some things.

Many times in europe on trips I would be mor interestd in keeping my calories down by eaing the veg and meat, fish route, I passed up many a local fat filled, yummy dish or bread or desert or ice cream and yes, I do regret it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I will never forget the giant prawn thing with the blue claws I was offered by a man selling seafood on the shore of a Kerala backwater, which would have been cooked by the amazing chef on the houseboat we were staying on. I was too scared of food poisoning (it was already dead, though clearly fresh) and declined. I have regretted it ever since, and I always will.

Food is more than calories.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I have definitely regretted not eating things, particularly when I traveled somewhere that is known for that food.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    The only thing since losing weight and changing my diet is my little boy's birthday cake hot for the taste but the memories and it was special to him.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    4 year old thread...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yesterday I went out for breakfast and I regret not having the breakfast burrito because the pancakes were just ok...

Yes, I can totally relate to regretting not ordering something, which generally occurs after tasting my OH's food and realizing it is better than what I ordered.