Pushup form with kyphotic upper back and forward head posture

Options
Aaron_K123
Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
My question is regards to how to achieve proper form with pushups if you have a curved spine from poor posture. From years of poor posture and spending a large amount of my time at a desk I have a very rounded upper back (kyphotic posture) as well as forward head posture.

In an effort to get regular strength exercise in I have been doing pushups and pullups on alternating days. With pushups I focus on not half@ssing any of my reps doing a full ROM where my chest touches and I maintain a plank position. I thought I was doing a good job with that but recently I videotaped myself doing a quick set of pushups and upon review was rather dismayed to see my rounded back and forward head posture was having me go not nearly as far down as I felt I was going largely due to my head being much closer to the floor than it should be in plank position given my curved upper spine.

Looking at my elbows it appears I am hitting 90 degrees at my lowest point so perhaps it is still a full ROM pushup but from the video the form looks poor.

So, is forward head posture and rounded back something that I absolutely have to address first before I can ever do a proper form pushup or is there some sort of form trick or technique I can focus on to make sure I am getting the best range of motion on my reps. Anyone else have this issue and how did you deal with it.

Thanks.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can post the video?
    You also might want to do rows to work your back as well as pull ups.
    Can you extend your upper back and draw your head back at all (even when not in a pushup position?) Do you do any drills on a foam roller trying to increase your thoracic mobility?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Put a dirty pair of underwear on the floor under your face. That should keep your head back. B)

Or place a broomstick on your back, held in place by a belt around your waist. Keep your head pressed against the stick the whole time.. but not by tilting your head back - by extending your upper spine.

By the way, the safe ROM is to stop with elbows at back level. Going deeper than that increases the chance of shoulder injuries. :+1:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    It's hard doing a push up w/a hunched/rounded back. I just tried it and it creates a lot of stress around the upper back, shoulders and neck. I think this is actually the form for the "Pushup Plus" variation that is designed to engage your serratus muscles.

I would think that just working on your posture should fix this problem. The old "stand up straight, shoulders back and head up" routine.

Can you stand up straight w/your back, head and butt touching the wall? If not, working on that might help and, if it does, I think you'll experience less tension in your upper back, shoulders and back and will find pushups easier to do.

Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Any chance you can post the video?
    You also might want to do rows to work your back as well as pull ups.
    Can you extend your upper back and draw your head back at all (even when not in a pushup position?) Do you do any drills on a foam roller trying to increase your thoracic mobility?

I will try to post a video sure. I should start to try exercises to strengthen and loosen muscles associated with my posture. Was also thinking it might be smart to stop sleeping on a double upped pillow...probably aggrevating the problem.

I don't actually have any back neck or shoulder pain...yet.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @rybo Here is a video. Its viewed from higher up which kind of makes it look even worse. Also although I felt like I was holding straight seems like my butt might be lower than it should be. Perhaps that was more the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A4ZAVYDj0&feature=youtu.be
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    @rybo Here is a video. Its viewed from higher up which kind of makes it look even worse. Also although I felt like I was holding straight seems like my butt might be lower than it should be. Perhaps that was more the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A4ZAVYDj0&feature=youtu.be

Your butt is indeed too low.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If your push your heals back and lift your butt, it should help things get more aligned. Also, keeping your glutes/quads engaged can help maintain a solid form.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Pulling my head back is kind of an issue given that my back is rounded currently due to poor posture. I am going to work on that but I can't just simply pull my head back. I am suprised my butt is as low as it is in that video, I felt like I was holding a decent plank position but clearly not. If I lift my butt its going to feel like I am sticking it into the air but I suppose if thats where it needs to be to be actually in plank thats what I will have to do. Just tape it and watch it and adjust and tape it and watch and adjust until I get the "feel" for the correct form.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    What has me scratching my head though is whether its that my butt is low or that my upper back is high (like that I'm arched excessively). If you look at the line from my feet through my calves through my thighs to my butt that looks like a perfect line but after that my back is arched upwards and my head is arched downwards which makes my chest higher than it should be it seems.

I'm concerned that if I just "raise my butt" then my butt will be sticking in the air rather than being in line with my quads as it currently is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I would have you put your feet up (like on a step stool or on the 1st or 2nd step of a staircase) and try to go lower. This should also help with your face not hitting the ground.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What has me scratching my head though is whether its that my butt is low or that my upper back is high (like that I'm arched excessively).

Looks like a little of both. You seem to be pivoting around the lower back as you come up. That can be from weak abs. Do you do ab exercises prior to pushups? If so, stop. :+1:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Well today is pushup day so I will try to be very concious of keeping my quads and core engaged, raise my butt a bit and try to get the top of my chest to touch the ground or come close rather than the bottom of it. Will tape and see what that looks like. I'll probably still have issues with my head position, could try raising my feet but will work on my plank position first.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    It's also clear that you are short arming the pushups; not lowering yourself so that your elbows go to 90 degrees and your chest touches the floor.

I'm not a trainer, but it seems to me that just raising your butt so that your legs and back are in line and lifting hour head so you're looking straight ahead rather than down towards the ground that is all you need to correct your form.

Have you ever tried to do a pushup starting w/your body FLAT against the floor? If you can do that and maintain the same straight (plank) body position throughout the push up, I think the problem would be solved.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It's also clear that you are short arming the pushups; not lowering yourself so that your elbows go to 90 degrees and your chest touches the floor.

I'm not a trainer, but it seems to me that just raising your butt so that your legs and back are in line and lifting hour head so you're looking straight ahead rather than down towards the ground that is all you need to correct your form.

Have you ever tried to do a pushup starting w/your body FLAT against the floor? If you can do that and maintain the same straight (plank) body position throughout the push up, I think the problem would be solved.

Sadly that IS me lifting my head, as I mentioned i'm pretty kyphotic and have pretty bad forward head posture. I could tilt my chin more so I am looking more forward but that really wouldn't change my position. That rounding in my upper back is what my spine is now, I need to work on it but its not that I am leaning forward that is about as far back as I can bring my head (which is why I need to work on my posture).

The idea of lying flat and then pushing up from there first and trying to lock my body rigid so that when I decend I'm in that form might work I'll have to try that thanks.

When I get home I'm doing another set of 60 so I'll tape some and try to hold better form and post again from there.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Better this time, I think my butt is in the right place and I am more level...my chest also goes down further and I think I'm hitting 90 degrees on my arms. Forward head posture still an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKg5O13jFKM&feature=youtu.be
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Better this time, I think my butt is in the right place and I am more level...my chest also goes down further and I think I'm hitting 90 degrees on my arms. Forward head posture still an issue.

Looks a lot better.

Think you should still go lower to touch your chest before rising again but I'm fussy about doing "full" pushups. Purpose of keeping your head up is to use it as a cue to keep your shoulders "back" and chest "out" which keeps your entire body in line. If you look carefully, you'll still notice a little "slouch" in your form because you're still looking down.

But definitely a lot better than before. Congrats! :)
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

Looks a lot better.

Think you should still go lower to touch your chest before rising again but I'm fussy about doing "full" pushups. Purpose of keeping your head up is to use it as a cue to keep your shoulders "back" and chest "out" which keeps your entire body in line. If you look carefully, you'll still notice a little "slouch" in your form because you're still looking down.

Thank you...the idea of starting flat on the floor, placing hands and clenching my core before pushing up and then holding that form to do my reps was helpful. I was touching the ground with my reps but perhaps it was more my gut than my chest...still have a bit of fat to deal with. I've heard mixed opinions on whether it is better to look down, look straight ahead or look about 45 degrees in front of you and it seemed like most form sites suggest the 45 degrees in front. Perhaps with my forward head posture for me it might be better at this point to look straight ahead until I can correct my posture...I can try that. Just don't want to overstrain my neck.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Have you considered physical therapy? Find a PT that specializes in scoliosis /kyphosis.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Have you considered physical therapy? Find a PT that specializes in scoliosis /kyphosis.

If I cannot improve it through exercise, stretching and and proper sleep (ie no or thin pillow, neck support) then I would consider it. Its from decades of sitting in front of computers slouched. Does catch up with you. For now though I am going to see if I can work on it on my own going off online guides for improving posture through physical therapeutic exercises and stretches. Thanks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Looks a lot better.

Thank you...the idea of starting flat on the floor, placing hands and clenching my core before pushing up and then holding that form to do my reps was helpful. I was touching the ground with my reps but perhaps it was more my gut than my chest...still have a bit of fat to deal with. I've heard mixed opinions on whether it is better to look down, look straight ahead or look about 45 degrees in front of you and it seemed like most form sites suggest the 45 degrees in front. Perhaps with my forward head posture for me it might be better at this point to look straight ahead until I can correct my posture...I can try that. Just don't want to overstrain my neck.

Generally, you should look about 6" in front of you. This should allow for proper head position.