Help. Too thin and overwhelmed

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Thank you everybody for your responses.
    For those curious, after visiting my parents I have realized that I badly need to gain at least 5 pounds and need to adjust my eating habits. That is why I am seeking help. I am pretty sure that the source of my scary weight is depression after recently relocating to a new city away from family. The last few months I have felt too lonely and sad to eat, but I am starting to adjust and feel better. At first I liked the weight loss, I eventhought I looked better. However, I am now realizing that my weight has dropped too low. I am now afraid that I will/do have health issues. Right now I am setting my goal weight for 95 pounds (I want to take baby steps.) Any advice for gaining ten pounds safely? Also any long term diet advise? Thanks
    Btw: I did have a check up last week. Oddly the doctor never mentioned any concerns about my weight.

Hi Hannah,

I'm surprised your doctor did not mention any weight concerns. Do you realize that 88 pounds is 23 pounds below the lowest normal weight for your height, and 95 pounds is 16 pounds underweight? You can see for yourself <3

I don't understand this chart - not arguing ,just genuinely baffled! I'm also 5'3 and weigh around 120 lbs. According to the chart I'm underweight but I don't think I am. I'm trying to gain weight because I look and feel better when I'm heavier. But I'm not "medically underweight "surely? Isn't BMI a better indicator? (Mine is around 22)
    I agree that 88 lbs is definitely underweight!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok being underweight doesnt make her have an ED and people suggesting it are either jerks OR uneducated about eating disorders. 88lbs is small, yes. The smallest recommended "ideal" weight for 5'3" is 107lbs. She would be about 19lbs underweight. That's not that much, especially if she has a tiny frame and her curves (chest and booty) are modest. She may just be more active than she realizes, have a thyroid issues or active metabolism or just not get that hungry. Or maybe she eats really healthy so it ends up low calorie. You're really judging a lot to assume she's just underweight on purpose, especially when she is asking how to gain weight. People with EDs who want to be underweight don't ask for help gaining 10lbs because they feel unattractive! I'm over 200lbs and I have a form of bulimia so you can not diagnose an ED by someone's weight.

NEXT: To the original poster@Hannahrose888 Things you can eat that are healthy and still good for calories - Avocados, Beans, Potatoes, banana Rice, Pasta, Sauces/Condiments, natural oils, etc. Avocados/Guacamole are pretty high in calories if you can manage to eat a whole one. If you added just one a day to what you normally eat to maintain your weight then you *should* in theory gain about 1/2 pound per week with just that. One baked potato (with butter would be good!) and one banana in a day would be about the same.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Ok being underweight doesnt make her have an ED and people suggesting it are either jerks OR uneducated about eating disorders. 88lbs is small, yes. The smallest recommended "ideal" weight for 5'3" is 107lbs. She would be about 19lbs underweight. That's not that much, especially if she has a tiny frame and her curves (chest and booty) are modest. She may just be more active than she realizes, have a thyroid issues or active metabolism or just not get that hungry. Or maybe she eats really healthy so it ends up low calorie. You're really judging a lot to assume she's just underweight on purpose, especially when she is asking how to gain weight. People with EDs who want to be underweight don't ask for help gaining 10lbs because they feel unattractive! I'm over 200lbs and I have a form of bulimia so you can not diagnose an ED by someone's weight.

NEXT: To the original poster@Hannahrose888 Things you can eat that are healthy and still good for calories - Avocados, Beans, Potatoes, banana Rice, Pasta, Sauces/Condiments, natural oils, etc. Avocados/Guacamole are pretty high in calories if you can manage to eat a whole one. If you added just one a day to what you normally eat to maintain your weight then you *should* in theory gain about 1/2 pound per week with just that. One baked potato (with butter would be good!) and one banana in a day would be about the same.

Very well said!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Also, height and weight
    For those curious, after visiting my parents I have realized that I badly need to gain at least 5 pounds and need to adjust my eating habits. That is why I am seeking help. I am pretty sure that the source of my scary weight is depression after recently relocating to a new city away from family. The last few months I have felt too lonely and sad to eat, but I am starting to adjust and feel better. At first I liked the weight loss, I eventhought I looked better. However, I am now realizing that my weight has dropped too low. I am now afraid that I will/do have health issues. Right now I am setting my goal weight for 95 pounds (I want to take baby steps.) Any advice for gaining ten pounds safely? Also any long term diet advise? Thanks
    Btw: I did have a check up last week. Oddly the doctor never mentioned any concerns about my weight.

Hi Hannah,

I'm surprised your doctor did not mention any weight concerns. Do you realize that 88 pounds is 23 pounds below the lowest normal weight for your height, and 95 pounds is 16 pounds underweight? You can see for yourself <3

I don't understand this chart - not arguing ,just genuinely baffled! I'm also 5'3 and weigh around 120 lbs. According to the chart I'm underweight but I don't think I am. I'm trying to gain weight because I look and feel better when I'm heavier. But I'm not "medically underweight "surely? Isn't BMI a better indicator? (Mine is around 22)

Not put so badly yourself. Also, height and weight charts differ. You're not underweight according to this one here
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Also, height and weight

Hi Hannah,

Not put so badly yourself. Also, height and weight charts differ. You're not underweight according to this one here

Thank you - that's what I thought :) Was thinking I'd have to stuff myself even more!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    While being underweight does not always negate ED to me and in this case OP is recognizing and admitting that she has had additional stress and suffered temporary depression which can cause one to under eat (or over eat).. A person that would continue to make excuses, fail to listen to advice and even heed advice and continue on losing weight would tell me they have ED.. If the depression is still there, a person would still show signs even through their posts such as this. OP to me is taking responsibility and asking for help (people with ED do not ask for help or ask for the wrong types of help which assists them in continuing with their ED)..

OP, what @pseulomon posted is great advice..

Have you setup your account in MFP with your current stats and set it to gain x pounds a week? Use MFP app and your food scale if you are doing that right now to make sure you reach your calorie goal each day.

As far as exercise, I probably would not advise that right now so that you can stay in surplus to gain the 10 pounds you are looking for in your first goals.. then perhaps in the second goal you can incorporate some exercise but know you need to eat back those calories. You have most likely lost a good amount of muscle mass and might can benefit from incorporating some weight training to help you in that area as well.
  • Hannahrose888
    Hannahrose888 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Btw I also realized that the source of my weight loss after speaking to my nutritionist is eating too healthy and being more active than I thought. It took me much too long to realize that I was taking in so little calories. Also after tracking my walking, I realized that I was burning more calories than I thought. Ugh I feel so stupid now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Invest in an ice cream making machine and have fun creating new combinations. You can do this!! Be good to yourself! Hugs
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah! I am so glad you sought some help, you should be proud of yourself! Pinterest is a sanctuary for finding recipes that fit your goals - they have some pretty cool ice cream combos. More props to you if you already know how to cook; if not, it's an interesting but fun learning experience. You can ask your nutritionist about any cooking classes (local co-ops and restaurants/bakeries also provide them); it's a great way to learn how to prepare different meals and meet people at the same time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this post screams some kind of eating disorder...I would suggest getting help from a trained professional....

my advice..

eat in a calorie surplus of 250 calories
    get on a structured lifting program
    seek help from a professional

uhhh...just because what she wrote "screams" ED (to someone such as yourself) doesn't mean it actually IS...so I would think twice before suggesting things as serious as professional help from out of thin air

No. This warrants concern. Even Hannah herself said so.

Yes it warrants concern. And the op has recognised it and come here for help. She's been suffering from depression - an illness. I also joined mfp because I recognised I'd lost too much weight due to a chronic illness. It doesn't automatically follow that it's an eating disorder and in fact it was people's (including doctors )assumption that I had an eating disorder that delayed my diagnosis of IBD.
    Hannah there's some great advice above and I'm a newbie so won't add to it except to wish you luck. And I'd agree about seeing a dietician - it helped me a lot.

Whatever the reason for a recent weight loss that leaves one too thin and not knowing how to correct it, including depression or, of course, unknown causes which could be medical in nature, would be a reason to see a trained professional. There's nothing negative about doing that or a stigma in seeking help, so I don't understand the "oh, no, this might not require such a drastic step!" posts (not so much yours, but the one from soccerbear). If it were medical, as certainly would have been possible without more information, that too would be a reason.

Anyway, I agree that seeing a dietitian is a good idea.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Hannah,

You aren't. (I'm 5'3 and 125 and could definitely lose more weight. I think the scale for 5'3 goes down to 105 -- edit: just checked and I guess 108 is the bottom end.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it sounds like you've gotten some good advice here and are open to taking it. As others have said, working with a medical team to help you with both the physical and psychological aspects of your ED is very important and I'm glad you are seeking help.

I know you were put off by your family and friends suggesting you eat more "junk" food but I think they were probably concerned about your weight and thinking that calorie dense foods were probably a quick and tasty way to get you to put some pounds back on. I'm sure they were very well meaning with those suggestions, and it's important to remember that you can fit quite a few of those foods into an overall healthy diet.
  • KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good job Hannah, I'm glad you're getting the help you need. Working with a therapist will definitely help you. I would suggest Googling some recipes and cook food that interests you. Use full fat ingredients (whole milk, whole greek yogurt, butter, etc) instead of light ingredients and you'll see a difference.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I just want to say, chocolate_owl, that your reply is brilliant and you've said it so much better than the rest of us.:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this post screams some kind of eating disorder...I would suggest getting help from a trained professional....

my advice..

eat in a calorie surplus of 250 calories
    get on a structured lifting program
    seek help from a professional

uhhh...just because what she wrote "screams" ED (to someone such as yourself) doesn't mean it actually IS...so I would think twice before suggesting things as serious as professional help from out of thin air

so you are saying that someone that is 5'3 and 88 pounds is at a regular weight and has zero cause for concern...really????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

hmmm op is underweight, suffering depression (her own admission), and thinks she only needs to gain five pounds, but everyone suggesting she seek professional help is an uniformed jerk? Ok, keep telling yourself that. How is the view from up there?