Eating back exercise calories- will the exercise burn still count?

Options
jax_006
jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Say you do a cardio workout and burn 500 calories in an hour (according to your heart rate monitor you wear around your chest). If you eat back said 500 calories burned, do you still get that deficit in your daily/weekly calories out? Or do you waste it by eating those calories back as long as you are not eating over the 500 cals burned?

I use a polar heart rate monitor to determine my burn, not MFP recommendation (probably not 100% accurate but it's better than using a generic calculator on the internet). Sorry if this sounds like a dumb/silly question, just a bit confused on the whole concept of eating some or all the cals back from workouts.

I am 5'3 135 lbs and still looking to lose some weight through exercise since its much more difficult for me to cut back on my daily food calories as I get closer to my goal weight.

Will eating back my exercise calories hinder my weight loss efforts when I am still 15-10 lbs away from my goal? Looking to lose 1/lb a week still. I will probably cut to .5/week when I get below the 10 or 7 lb mark.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thank you all :)

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • MommyMeggo
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • MommyMeggo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What in the world? Sorry for the multiple posts. Weird.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    maybe a little off topic...It seems to me that adding a resistance program will benefit you more than cardio, you get to eat more cause the muscles are using more calories, and you look more fit and toned.....
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Fiftyls2looz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what????

exercise is not for losing weight??? Ive never heard of that....ever
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what????

I've been maintaining for over 3.5 years...I train like crazy...I'm not losing weight, nor am I trying to...exercise is for fitness and has a nice added bi-product of increasing your energy expenditure...but no...exercise isn't for weight loss...if it was then nobody who was just fit and lean and healthy wouldn't exercise...because they wouldn't be trying to lose weight.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :s this thing doesn't work!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Anyways OP just to be safe try to eat half of your burned cals and see how it works...
  • jax_006
    jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Exercise is for fitness and requires fuel, calorie deficits are for weightloss and require eating less than you expend. Exercise isn't for weightloss and if you make it for weightloss then you are marrying two things that are trying to go in opposite directions (increased fuel for increased activity and decreased fuel for inspiring your body to tap into its reserves). You can exercise while you are losing weight, but you should plan your deficit for the weight loss and then do your exercise on top of that while eating back the exercise calories so as to not affect your deficit.

Thank you for the insight. This helps me understand the concepts better :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    what????

Well...happy to introduce you to that then. I guess prior to that you thought that the only reason anyone would possibly want to go for a run or lift weights was to lose weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Anyways OP just to be safe try to eat half of your burned cals and see how it works...

@bfanny

Why half precisely?
    Why is it "safe" to cut an estimate in half?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    With only 10-15 pounds to lose, you should drop to a weight loss goal of 0.5 pounds per week now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jax_006 wrote: »
    Will eating back my exercise calories hinder my weight loss efforts when I am still 15-10 lbs away from my goal? Looking to lose 1/lb a week still. I will probably cut to .5/week when I get below the 10 or 7 lb mark.

Does eating back my exercise calories hinder me from maintaining my weight for three years?

The trend of your recent weight loss tells you if you have your calorie balance about right or not.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    bfanny wrote: »

@bfanny

Why half precisely?
    Why is it "safe" to cut an estimate in half?

I mean I imagine you know the answer to this right. The reasoning is that a lot of the exercise burn estimates are inflated and so rather than trust them and eat back exactly what they say you eat back half to avoid erasing part of your deficit. You err on the side of having a slightly larger deficit than you intended rather than a smaller deficit than you intended. Given that a lot of calorie burn estimates do seem to be a bit inflated I can see the logic there. That said the best thing to do would be to learn from consistant exercise and logging what exactly you are burning in your exercise personally and eat that amount back. That just takes a lot of time and in the meantime might want to eat back most but not all your estimated burn. Makes sense to me to be honest but willing to hear out why thats a bad approach.

That said, personally, in most situations I eat them all back. I tend not to though if they are excessively high. Like a day where my TDEE is 6000 I don't eat 5500 calories to maintain my 500 calorie deficit, I eat more like 4000 calories because for one, hard to believe that TDEE estimate, and two hard to eat 5500 calories. But a day where my TDEE is 3000 because I burned like an estimated 500 calories frome exercise then yeah I eat that all back.