Eating back exercise calories- will the exercise burn still count?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    bfanny wrote: »
    Anyways OP just to be safe try to eat half of your burned cals and see how it works...

@bfanny

Why half precisely?
    Why is it "safe" to cut an estimate in half?

I mean I imagine you know the answer to this right. The reasoning is that a lot of the exercise burn estimates are inflated and so rather than trust them and eat back exactly what they say you eat back half to avoid erasing part of your deficit. You err on the side of having a slightly larger deficit than you intended rather than a smaller deficit than you intended. Given that a lot of calorie burn estimates do seem to be a bit inflated I can see the logic there. That said the best thing to do would be to learn from consistant exercise and logging what exactly you are burning in your exercise personally and eat that amount back. That just takes a lot of time and in the meantime might want to eat back most but not all your estimated burn. Makes sense to me to be honest but willing to hear out why thats a bad approach.

That said, personally, in most situations I eat them all back. I tend not to though if they are excessively high. Like a day where my TDEE is 6000 I don't eat 5500 calories to maintain my 500 calorie deficit, I eat more like 4000 calories because for one, hard to believe that TDEE estimate, and two hard to eat 5500 calories. But a day where my TDEE is 3000 because I burned like an estimated 500 calories frome exercise then yeah I eat that all back.

Halving an exercise estimate is just a group-think on here. ("A lie told often enough becomes the truth" - Lenin.)
    Actually makes very little sense, why not 33% or 65%?

If someone doesn't get the weight loss expected over an extended period then their food logging or base calorie goal is far more likely to be the issue. There seems a strange, almost Puritan view, that exercise calories are somehow special or different. They aren't, they are just one of many calorie needs of your body. They are also just one of many estimates to get to a desired calorie balance.

OP is using a HRM for cardio - unlikely to be accurate, but highly unlikely to be double.

"Safe" is not a good description of the practice on erring on a bigger calorie deficit by default.

Totally agree your point about consistency. When I used a basic HRM (Polar FT7) for cardio it was out by about 10 - 20%. But consistency in estimates and adjusting my calorie balance based on actual weight loss results gave me the desired (and safe!) rate of loss.
    My current way of estimating my cycling energy expenditure underestimates significantly, would be silly to cut those estimates in half.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie burn numbers are wildly wrong. I use my Garmin and MFP for running and then Garmin and Map My Ride for bike rides. I cross check with runners world

MFP will give 2700 calories for a run, Garmin around 1300, and runners world about 1000

I would gain weight eating back the exaggerated calorie burn numbers from MFP.

I do eat back a reasonable amount as not to over do the calorie deficit. I can consistently eat back about 1/3 of my MFP calorie burn numbers and have been maintaining weight for a year.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey I think the scale should be the judge, "when you are trying to lose weight" eating back 50 % is just an idea, if you lose more than 2 lbs (which I doubt it, when there is not much to lose) then eat a 100% or whatever...get my point???
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Also when you are a guy and burn thousands of cals just for being you is NOT the same as being a girl and burning around 2,000 a day, so is NOT that easy to create and maintain a deficit needed to lose just 1 lb ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Also when you are a guy and burn thousands of cals just for being you is NOT the same as being a girl and burning around 2,000 a day, so is NOT that easy to create and maintain a deficit needed to lose just 1 lb ;)

The average guy burns around 1800 calories existing vs around 1400 for a female...the average guy isn't burning thousands upon thousands of calories...the average guy who does little in the way of exercise is going to burn around 2300 - 2500 calories per day...the average female is going to burn around 1800 - 2000....so don't know where you're coming up with these thousands of calories difference between men and women.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    what????

exercise is not for losing weight??? Ive never heard of that....ever

You can create your deficit either through exercise or through diet, preferably both...don't listen to anyone who tells you because it didn't work for them it won't work for anyone...we are all different.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what????

You can create your deficit either through exercise or through diet, preferably both...don't listen to anyone who tells you because it didn't work for them it won't work for anyone...we are all different.

Nobody is saying that...like at all...

Expending more energy is a bi-product of regular exercise...not the purpose of exercise. If the purpose behind exercise was losing weight then why would so many healthy, lean, and fit people who don't need or want to lose weight be exercising regularly?

Right...but it sounds a whole lot like you can't use exercise to create a deficit...which of course you can.

I agree that you can't outrun a bad diet, but it would be unfair to say you can't use exercise to earn a donut ;)

You CAN use exercise to create a deficit...but you are setting yourself up for some rather disordered behaviors which are not what you really want to make routinue. The idea of "going for a run" because you ate too much is kind of setting yourself up for disfunction in my opinion. It treats food like the enemy and exercise like self-inflicted punishment rather than a means to an end in terms of fitness.

I disagree. I think of it more like, I work out so I can have what I consider a "normal" dinner with my family and not gain weight.

<shrug> not going to claim my way of viewing it is the only way, just sharing how I see it. It is subjective so we can both be "right" in our own way. Personally I have found exercising to attain a fitness goal is much more sustainable and enjoyable than exercising to maintain a deficit. Funny thing is you get that same calorie burn either way.
  • ogtmama
    Options
    what????

Expending more energy is a bi-product of regular exercise...not the purpose of exercise. If the purpose behind exercise was losing weight then why would so many healthy, lean, and fit people who don't need or want to lose weight be exercising regularly?

Right...but it sounds a whole lot like you can't use exercise to create a deficit...which of course you can.

I agree that you can't outrun a bad diet, but it would be unfair to say you can't use exercise to earn a donut ;)

You CAN use exercise to create a deficit...but you are setting yourself up for some rather disordered behaviors which are not what you really want to make routinue. The idea of "going for a run" because you ate too much is kind of setting yourself up for disfunction in my opinion. It treats food like the enemy and exercise like self-inflicted punishment rather than a means to an end in terms of fitness.

I disagree. I think of it more like, I work out so I can have what I consider a "normal" dinner with my family and not gain weight.

<shrug> not going to claim my way of viewing it is the only way, just sharing how I see it. It is subjective so we can both be "right" in our own way. Personally I have found exercising to attain a fitness goal is much more sustainable and enjoyable than exercising to maintain a deficit. Funny thing is you get that same calorie burn either way.

That's fair enough, you know I respect your opinion...I suspect it may be a different mindset du to our relative sizes...Remember that 1200 calories is only a one pound a week loss for me. I need to work for my food ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    what????

If you think about it, it still comes down to your diet. Regular exercise is going to increase your energy expenditure...but if you have a deficit, it's because you're taking in less than you're expending...it still comes down to diet. If you exercise regularly and eat to maintenance, you're not going to lose weight...If you exercise regularly and you eat more than you expend, you're going to gain weight...it still ultimately comes down to what you're taking in...it's just that regular exercise lets you take in more than you otherwise could.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    what????

I've tried it, doesn't work. Started calorie counting, got into a deficit and finally lost weight.

I've tried it, it works. Calorie counting also works but I stopped doing that and continued to maintain. All this goes to show that different people can succeed even taking different paths.

But the CICO math is unambiguous that exercise is beneficial to weight loss and maintenance.

So do all the surveys that show that people who start commuting by bicycle lose an average of 10 lbs in their first year.
  • ogtmama
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok. Fine. I get it...but telling people exercise doesn't help with weight loss is overly simplistic to the point of creating a non-truth. Just like gold doesn't weigh more than feathers because a pound is a pound.

This was in response to wolfman
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I think the reason some people phrase it as "exercise isn't about weight loss" its because there is this expectation that if you exercise that somehow the deficit comes easily. Fact is if you exercise you are going to require more food and you are therefore going to get hungrier unless you eat more. To satisfy that hunger you eat more and you end up basically at the same deficit had you not exercised at all.

Now you can exercise a lot to create a larger deficit and try to will yourself through that hunger but....ick.

I do undertand by the way that if you are much smaller that it is harder to create large deficits...but if you are smaller you probably shouldn't be creating a large deficit. I think sites like MFP would benefit by having the goal to be to lose a certain percentage of your weight each month rather than just "1 pound" or "2 pounds". It suggests that somehow a 5'2 woman with little muscle is supposed to expect to lose at the same rate as a more muscular overweight 6'2 man which is silly. If you weight 140 and the guy weighs 280 then his 2 pound a week loss is equivalent to a 1 pound a week loss for you.

Yeah...the hardest time I've ever had with my weight management was when I was training for my first century ride...I was near the end of my weight loss and just figured I'd pretty easily drop those last 10 Lbs or so with all of those miles...I ended up maintaining due to being hungry as all hell from training and also wanting to perform well and recover from those training bouts...I actually do a lot better with weight loss when I'm doing light to moderate amounts of regular exercise vs actually training.