Should you correct those with bad form in the gym?

Options

Replies

• oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    As someone new to the gym I would very much like being told if I was doing things wrong. I have no idea how to do these things so I learn by watching. That said it also depends on how I am told. Yell at me or belittle me in front of others and I will rip your head off.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I WISH someone would correct me LOL. I dont use free weights except when doing squats and I am so self conscious about it. Idk if my form is good or not, but assuming its as crappy as I fear, Id love someone to offer help. But thats just ME. Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.

so much ...
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    People have way too many hangups. I mean what's the worst that could happen, aside from them continuing on wih bad form and getting hurt? I know it's not easy for everyone to just accept yourself and 'just be' and to not let other people's judgments or your own inhibitions cloud your self esteem and confidence.

I say go for it and help them out with some pointers. If you have the willingness to do so they should be appreciative of your time, or be able to say "thanks but no thanks" (maybe they are onto somethign with this so called bad form?).
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    . Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.

if thats the case then all women are cardio bunnies.
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but if I did, I would absolutely NOT want to be bothered by anyone there, for any reason. If I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or right, I would go to a trainer, which is exactly what I do.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Make friends with them.

Wait a few days, talk about fitness and types of exercises

out of that conversation, show them some of your techniques
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Somebody should correct them and it really should be down to any of the trainers at the gym.

It is all very well for people to say live and let live and leave them to it, however, has anybody here ever suffered from injury due to bad lifting techniques or had a slipped disc or anything like that?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Somebody should correct them and it really should be down to any of the trainers at the gym.

It is all very well for people to say live and let live and leave them to it, however, has anybody here ever suffered from injury due to bad lifting techniques or had a slipped disc or anything like that?

Yes.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes , a lot of times people are afraid to ask for help.

Give advice , but don't treat them like imbecile.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No - leave it to the trained staff. That is what they pay their membership for so they are entitled to professional advice, not other people's opinions.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't help out because usually it is teen boys using the worst form, and they don't have any interest in listening to a 40 year old woman tell them how to dead lift or squat. They will, however, watch and mimic.

Now, those same boys who would tell me that they know what they're doing will readily accept help from my husband and ask questions when he is there.

I don't help women. Past experience has been very negative. They either think they know everything, want to bicker, or act like I am hitting on them. It would be humorous if it wasn't so depressing.

Offering to spot on bench press, however, usually gets a "yes."
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Take out your cell phone between sets and fake-text. Get a video of their form and post it on Youtube.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    . Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.

if thats the case then all women are cardio bunnies.
    ROAR! I am all testosteroned and roided and ready to fight over this comment lol.

I have a friend who is constantly correcting people, in a very nice manner. He starts off by "It may help your back if you...". Not that he goes around telling people they're wrong. I've only seen one person take it bad and it's a guy friend of mine who tends to be a cardio bunny who thinks they're always right even tho they completely lack knowledge about whatever they're fighting over.

I tend not to correct people, many assumes the girls are stupid and give them odd looks.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ah, the age old question, to help or not to help. I favor the approach that unless they're doing something that may severely injure them, let them be.

Real life example:
    I was at the gym on a Sunday morning and the gym was mostly empty. I weighed around 220 at the time and have been lifting for a few years. I was minding my own business when I noticed a younger guy, probably around 13-15 years old and 120 lbs soaking wet doing lat pulldowns with 100 lbs on the rack. He was rocking back hard just to get the weight to move a few inches. Not really too dangerous other than a strained back, so I let him be.

Later in my workout, I saw him doing shoulder presses on a machine loaded with around 80 lbs. He would stand up to get the weight up on the first rep then dip his back/shoulders on subsequent reps struggling to get it up. Now I needed to step in before he tore a rotator cuff or destroyed his back. I approached him as a friend and treated him as a fellow lifter, never demeaning or putting him down. I just said let me give you a few tips and explained using strict form vs cheating the weight up (even though this was way beyond cheating) to keep his confidence up. Never did I say he wasn't strong enough or that he didn't know what he was doing. Doing that just makes people resent you.

I've seen him several more times now and he's using a much lighter weight and better form. Feels good to help out a beginner!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I don't help women. Past experience has been very negative. They either think they know everything, want to bicker, or act like I am hitting on them. It would be humorous if it wasn't so depressing.

This. Even if I ask a women if/when she's done with a machine/bench/whatever she hasn't touched in 15 minutes but is deciding to do stretches next to it etc has flipped the frig out. Not "woops I meant to do 1 more set" or "hold on one second" or "use it while I'm doing this"...just...flipping the frig out as if she owns the machinery and it's hers for the day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't help out because usually it is teen boys using the worst form, and they don't have any interest in listening to a 40 year old woman tell them how to dead lift or squat. They will, however, watch and mimic.

Now, those same boys who would tell me that they know what they're doing will readily accept help from my husband and ask questions when he is there.

:laugh: :laugh: It's funny because it's true. Especially of younger women I noticed. Like deer in the headlights, uh oh face. In any situation.
  • CoderGal
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: It's funny because it's true. Especially of younger women I noticed. Like deer in the headlights, uh oh face. In any situation.
    I've never had this problem, I've only gotten dirty looks of hell. Sometimes I get said looks when I'm doing something, but definitely if I go to ask something.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I've never had this problem, I've only gotten dirty looks of hell. Sometimes I get said looks when I'm doing something, but definitely if I go to ask something.

It's probably just the gym I go to. Most of the women who work out are in their early 50s to late 60s, and just cranky.

Or it's me, and I come across as a lady-creeper.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    It's probably just the gym I go to. Most of the women who work out are in their early 50s to late 60s, and just cranky.

Or it's me, and I come across as a lady-creeper.

In their defense, you do come off as a lady-creeper.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Leave them be.

I think I've stepped in to help 2-3 people in all my days at the gym- I think it's almost always been someone who was doing something that's going to go **** up their back.

And no one likes a trainer walking around going "I"m a trainer here let me help you"

Let them learn. Unless you are in a good position to slide in sideways to help without seeming knowitally or bossy- (like you are working near them- or sharing equipment or sharing space) just let it go- walking over to someone like that is annoying as ****.

I often ASK for help from my friends- because I would rather just know in advance- saves me from having to deal with knuckle headed know it alls walking up and telling me how to do things better. LOL