Should you correct those with bad form in the gym?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't help out because usually it is teen boys using the worst form, and they don't have any interest in listening to a 40 year old woman tell them how to dead lift or squat. They will, however, watch and mimic.

Now, those same boys who would tell me that they know what they're doing will readily accept help from my husband and ask questions when he is there.

I don't help women. Past experience has been very negative. They either think they know everything, want to bicker, or act like I am hitting on them. It would be humorous if it wasn't so depressing.

Offering to spot on bench press, however, usually gets a "yes."

:laugh: :laugh: It's funny because it's true. Especially of younger women I noticed. Like deer in the headlights, uh oh face. In any situation.
    I've never had this problem, I've only gotten dirty looks of hell. Sometimes I get said looks when I'm doing something, but definitely if I go to ask something.

It's probably just the gym I go to. Most of the women who work out are in their early 50s to late 60s, and just cranky.

Or it's me, and I come across as a lady-creeper.
    Hmmm I went to a 'circuit' type gym with a bunch of people who I believe were angry feminist lesbians and even they just gave me the devil looks. I was all, what happened to endorphins and such?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't help out because usually it is teen boys using the worst form, and they don't have any interest in listening to a 40 year old woman tell them how to dead lift or squat. They will, however, watch and mimic.

Now, those same boys who would tell me that they know what they're doing will readily accept help from my husband and ask questions when he is there.

I don't help women. Past experience has been very negative. They either think they know everything, want to bicker, or act like I am hitting on them. It would be humorous if it wasn't so depressing.

Offering to spot on bench press, however, usually gets a "yes."

:laugh: :laugh: It's funny because it's true. Especially of younger women I noticed. Like deer in the headlights, uh oh face. In any situation.
    I've never had this problem, I've only gotten dirty looks of hell. Sometimes I get said looks when I'm doing something, but definitely if I go to ask something.

It's probably just the gym I go to. Most of the women who work out are in their early 50s to late 60s, and just cranky.

Or it's me, and I come across as a lady-creeper.

I think we have to be the right age to come across like that. maybe?
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate the help if it was done politely
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of my most vivid memories in a gym was when some guy walked up to me while I was doing barbell bench presses with alternate hand grips. He actually put his hands on mine in the middle of a set to try get me to change my grip (!), and threw off my workout while thoroughly pissing me off. I think he was trying to impress the gym owner and get hired as a trainer.

Unless someone is at danger to themselves and others, mind your own business. Even better, let the gym staff deal with it and move away from the person in question. The person may simply be doing variations on a move rather than bad form, like I was.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    So i'm going to a new gym and spotted couple of younger guys who have terrible form when using a couple of the free weights.

I minded my own business and continued with my own workout.

The question is should you correct someone when you see them using the wrong technique?

I mean I'm no expert but before I do any new exercise I always make sure i've got the correct form.

No, you will make a new enemy for sure. I hate to say this but it is true, anytime you help a stranger they will **** upon you. Someone asks for help, then yes if not, stay out of their business.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Or it's me, and I come across as a lady-creeper."
    [/quote]

You could creep me anytime at the gym :)
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So i'm going to a new gym and spotted couple of younger guys who have terrible form when using a couple of the free weights.

I minded my own business and continued with my own workout.

The question is should you correct someone when you see them using the wrong technique?

I mean I'm no expert but before I do any new exercise I always make sure i've got the correct form.

Depending on what you are talking about, there is very little agreement about what constitutes 'correct' form. I recently read a Tnation article arguing for rounded shoulders when deadlifting. THere are many people who argue that a squat and a deadlift is the same thing. There is so much room for variations in form- and everyone believes that they are correct. So my advice is to mind your business- unles syou are getting paid for advice or someone asks you. I know your heart is in the right place, but you may be offering the wrong advice for that person.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I think we have to be the right age to come across like that. maybe?

Apparently, that age is 40. FML.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are two things I don't want to happen at the gym:

1. I don't want to feel like someone is watching or looking at me.
    I'm not there to make friends or be judged.

and

B. I do not want to be spoken to. If I wanted a gym buddy, I'd invite one.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many people with poor form that if I tried to help I'd be there all day just trying to do my thing.
    That being said, I seek advice from those who are doing it right and have always received a positive response.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nope - mind your own business. You never know a person't background or situation.

For example, I am working on rehabbing a knee injury. My orthopedist/PT have me doing leg extensions with a small range of motion to specifically target my VMO (one of the muscles that make up a person's quads). Someone came up to me at the gym a couple weeks ago and told me that I was 'doing it wrong' and needed to work through the full range of motion to get real benefits.

1) They're wrong
    2) It was none of their business

I just thanked them and told them I was doing exercises specifically to rehab my injured knee. They said 'Oh' and wandered off into the gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I WISH someone would correct me LOL. I dont use free weights except when doing squats and I am so self conscious about it. Idk if my form is good or not, but assuming its as crappy as I fear, Id love someone to offer help. But thats just ME. Guys tend to be really testosteroned (and even roided -gasp-) out at the gym and you may be asking for an unwanted argument.

i love how you constantly put your ignorance out on display for everyone to see.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I generally won't comment on people's lifting for any reason, with 2 exceptions:
    1) I'll rescue them if they fail a lift and need help getting the weight off them
    2) If there is a person I know who is a skilled power lifter who and I see a way to make a constructive suggestion I will do so
    Other than that, I keep to myself when I workout. I've come to accept the fact that some people lift with form so bad that it is an injury waiting to happen.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    With so many differing opinions on squat forms out there, I would say no. I've been corrected on my squat form from some beefhead, whereas when I ask my favorite trainer at the gym to check my form, he is adamant I'm doing them correctly.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS want me form corrected if I'm doing something in a way where I might hurt myself. And I would always do the same for others. I won't speak on other scenarios, but if it's something that is dangerous by all means speak up. No one wants to get injured.

Some people are just shy to ask for help. I know I am.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I honeslty am quite surprised at all the different views on this subject. I personally would never be offended or taken aback by someone meerly just trying to help me out. As long as it's done in a respectful way, what's the big deal?

I think some of you need to relax a little, take a moment, smell the roses and just breath. Not everyone is out to get you.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    With so many differing opinions on squat forms out there, I would say no. I've been corrected on my squat form from some beefhead, whereas when I ask my favorite trainer at the gym to check my form, he is adamant I'm doing them correctly.

I've had two trainers at my gym comment on my squat form (unsolicited advice, on two separate occasions). The first said that I was doing them wrong--he then proceeded to demonstrate an above-parallel squat with toes pointing forward. The second asked me how I developed my training regimen and said that my form looked great and that I looked like I knew what I was doing. The second trainer turned out to have read a few of the same books on anatomy and lifting mechanics that I had studied. The first hadn't heard of the books, and I frankly started doubting he even knew how to read in the course of our conversation.

So yeah, don't waste your time correcting people at the gym. They might know more than you do, or they might have their reasons for doing things a certain way. Even if they don't know anything, they might not be receptive to your advice. Let them learn on their own time, perhaps even through incurring injuries.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    No, I would not offer unsolicited advice. I mind my own business at the gym, am pretty focused on myself, and I think it works best when everyone else is on the same page.

In any gym I've been a member of, there are always people lifting with poor form, performing exercises incorrectly, or doing things I think are a total waste of time/dangerous. None of this is my domain--I've not been asked for my opinion, and I'm not a gym owner/employee.

If someone asks me for help with the equipment, a quick critique of their form, or a spot, I'm happy to help out.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I honeslty am quite surprised at all the different views on this subject. I personally would never be offended or taken aback by someone meerly just trying to help me out. As long as it's done in a respectful way, what's the big deal?

I think some of you need to relax a little, take a moment, smell the roses and just breath. Not everyone is out to get you.

lol not everyone who doesn't want unsolicited help, is paranoid.
    Assuming someone thinks people are out to get them, for wanting to be left alone is as rude as pushing advice on people who don't want it.
    #justsayin