How do I eat clean and gain weight?

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I gotta say it's getting tiresome reading pedantic comments on everything everyone says! It's really not helpful.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of "eating clean"?

I'm also confused by what you mean by "putting on healthy fat and the put that on as muscle".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    izzie218 wrote: »
    Good carb sources:
    Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, yams, whole grains, bananas, dried fruit, smoothies.

Good fat sources:
    Avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil, chickpeas, olives, nut butters

Good protein sources:
    Chicken, beef, pork, black bean spaghetti, nut butters, jerky, milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese.

Hope this helps!

I'd say these are " clean " -ie,they are "good for you " -and still calorie dense.
    I try to reach my calorie goal with foods like these but if I don't then I top up with ice cream,chocolate etc. It's fine to do that as long as that's not ALL you're eating!
    Why do you need to eat "clean"? A calorie is a calorie.

It's true that a calorie is a calorie,but in the extreme,if your diet consists purely of chocolate,ice cream and sugary drinks,you'll probably start to feel unwell and lack sufficient energy to do any kind of strength programme

what makes them clean?

This is why I put it in quotes. By "clean " I'm assuming the OP means healthy,good for you,however you want to put it.

is a sweet potato more healthy for you than a baked potato?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I gotta say it's getting tiresome reading pedantic comments on everything everyone says! It's really not helpful.

stop trying to define foods as clean and dirty and you will be fine...
  • amzblitz
    amzblitz Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    1- calculate your maintenance calories
    2-eat healthy food with a total calories that are 20-25% above your maintenance
    3- repeat
    4- WIN
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Good carb sources:

Good fat sources:

Good protein sources:
    Chicken, beef, pork, black bean spaghetti, nut butters, jerky, milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese.

Hope this helps!

I'd say these are " clean " -ie,they are "good for you " -and still calorie dense.
    I try to reach my calorie goal with foods like these but if I don't then I top up with ice cream,chocolate etc. It's fine to do that as long as that's not ALL you're eating!

It's true that a calorie is a calorie,but in the extreme,if your diet consists purely of chocolate,ice cream and sugary drinks,you'll probably start to feel unwell and lack sufficient energy to do any kind of strength programme
    who is this mythical person advocating a diet of pure chocolate and ice cream??????

I see this mythical person who advocates this mythical diet referenced in almost every "clean eating" thread that's ever been posted. Yet in over four years of being on MFP, I have yet to see this mythical person actually make one single post anywhere actually advocating such a diet. Perhaps it would be helpful and lend credibility if people could include actual direct quotes from said person when they reference said person advocating said mythical diet.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Try eating healthy, calorie dense foods
    peanut butter, nuts, whole milk, potatoes, rice/pasta, plenty protein, porridge(oats), dried fruit, avocados, bananas
    also use healthy oils when cooking - coconut oil (this adds more calories without noticing)
    maybe when making milky drinks, also eat a bit of junk food in moderation :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I don't think anyone was advocating it,were they?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Once you have hit your nutritional minimums in macros and micros there is no additional benefit in eating more

So great that you have a wide ranging healthy diet but you still need to eat sufficient calories to gain weight so any damn food stuff that provides those calories will do

Eating "clean" is not a particularly useful concept..I'd love to see it replaced with eating a wide range of food
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

stop trying to define foods as clean and dirty and you will be fine...

Actually- I don't define them like that and had never even come across those terms until I started using mfp!
    I agree they're misleading terms.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Good carb sources:

Good fat sources:

Good protein sources:

Hope this helps!

who is this mythical person advocating a diet of pure chocolate and ice cream??????

If you look at what I said,I was taking the statement of "a calorie is a calorie " to its extreme.
    I'm not sure why you feel the need to jump on everything people say,with a pithy remark which adds nothing to the discussion.
  • DangleSnipe
    DangleSnipe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It can be hard ( depending on your lifestyle ) to put on weight. In theory it's easy but to do it takes a lot of work. I have a hard time just maintaining. People will tell you to eat healthy fats and other calorie dense foods but it's hard to prep if you have a busy life. I just always try to be eating something
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the suggestions, sorry if i'm repeating something. But these are 'quick and easy' way's to add calories minus junk food.
    1. Avocado chia pudding
    2. Cottage cheese with chopped up banana and peanut butter
    3. protein shakes, I can make some super delicious 1000 calorie shakes using mainly whole foods
    4. Bullet proof coffee/hot chocolate
    5. Rib eye steak with a side of mash potato
    6. Whole egg omelet with grass fed butter, cheese, cream and bacon
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh, and home made banana icecream, this usually has more calories than regular icecream.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As a devils advocate, to those that say to to add the extra calories by feeling free to eat chocolate and ice cream and other stuff like that, some might simply be concerned that eating those every day (as opposed to as an occasional treat) might be a slippery slope back into eating habits that got them in trouble in the first place.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    As a devils advocate, to those that say to to add the extra calories by feeling free to eat chocolate and ice cream and other stuff like that, some might simply be concerned that eating those every day (as opposed to as an occasional treat) might be a slippery slope back into eating habits that got them in trouble in the first place.

That can be said for any food that is suggested really. It's relative to the individual. Ice cream and chocolates is eaten by many people dailly without a problem.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When we lose weight... we feel hungry a lot... so... I guess you will have to get used to feeling too full!

I agree with eating calorie dense foods and lifting starting now. Try Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Strong Curves
  • inimical909
    inimical909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    What is healthy fat?

Poly and Mono-unsaturated fats.
  • inimical909
    inimical909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need is adequate protein. You want around 100 grams. If you want to gain weight not just fat, lift weights and have a surplus of calories. Easy.