How do I eat clean and gain weight?

Options
I need advice ASAP.
I am 5"8 and currently at 118 lbs. My goal weight is 130-135.

I would love to bulk and put on healthy fat in a clean matter then put that on as muscle and go back to the gym,but I don't know where to start.
I do my best to eat breakfast,snacks,lunch,and dinner most times. Lots of days I still don't consume the amount of calories,carbs,and fats that I need for the day.

Anyone have any suggestions,recipes, or knowledgeable information to help me out?

Replies

• FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to enough to start. To put on weight you need to be in a calorie surplus
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What is healthy fat?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I need advice ASAP.

I would love to bulk and put on healthy fat in a clean matter then put that on as muscle and go back to the gym,but I don't know where to start.
    I do my best to eat breakfast,snacks,lunch,and dinner most times. Lots of days I still don't consume the amount of calories,carbs,and fats that I need for the day.

Anyone have any suggestions,recipes, or knowledgeable information to help me out?

Can you provide some samples of what you have for meals and snacks, how many calories you generally take in and how many you think you should take in?
  • izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good carb sources:
    Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, yams, whole grains, bananas, dried fruit, smoothies.

Good fat sources:
    Avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil, chickpeas, olives, nut butters

Good protein sources:
    Chicken, beef, pork, black bean spaghetti, nut butters, jerky, milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese.

Hope this helps!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/

The Soi Delicious products have ice cream that doesn't have a lot of chemicals. Their coconut ice cream is incredibly good. I couldn't find a calorie list online. You could look for their products in a store to read the calories.

I second izzie218's list -- avocados are calorie rich and you can add them to salads plus put slices on sandwiches.
  • PennWalker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

The Soi Delicious products have ice cream that doesn't have a lot of chemicals. Their coconut ice cream is incredibly good. I couldn't find a calorie list online. You could look for their products in a store to read the calories.

I second izzie218's list -- avocados are calorie rich and you can add them to salads plus put slices on sandwiches.

Also adding that whole almonds are sold in a tin in the nut aisle of the grocery store. They don't have added chemicals or dyes and are a good source of fat. 28 nuts or 1 serving = 160 calories. Use as a snack or put in salads. They say out of sight is out of mind, so leave them around where you can eat a few throughout the day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat "clean"? A calorie is a calorie.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    izzie218 wrote: »
    Good carb sources:

Good fat sources:

Good protein sources:
    Chicken, beef, pork, black bean spaghetti, nut butters, jerky, milk, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese.

Hope this helps!

I'd say these are " clean " -ie,they are "good for you " -and still calorie dense.
    I try to reach my calorie goal with foods like these but if I don't then I top up with ice cream,chocolate etc. It's fine to do that as long as that's not ALL you're eating!

It's true that a calorie is a calorie,but in the extreme,if your diet consists purely of chocolate,ice cream and sugary drinks,you'll probably start to feel unwell and lack sufficient energy to do any kind of strength programme
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Good carb sources:

Good fat sources:

Good protein sources:

Hope this helps!

I'd say these are " clean " -ie,they are "good for you " -and still calorie dense.
    I try to reach my calorie goal with foods like these but if I don't then I top up with ice cream,chocolate etc. It's fine to do that as long as that's not ALL you're eating!

It's true that a calorie is a calorie,but in the extreme,if your diet consists purely of chocolate,ice cream and sugary drinks,you'll probably start to feel unwell and lack sufficient energy to do any kind of strength programme

what makes them clean?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - you need to eat calories dense foods like bagels, ice cream, oreos, pasta, whole wheat breads, fatty cuts of steak, etc, but at the same time make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition from vegetables, fruits, etc.

You are going to have a hard time trying to bulk on chicken, fish, and vegetables..so you need the calorie dense foods to fill in your day.
  • ndj1979
    Options

all food has chemicals...and i will take my talenti gelato over coconut ice cream any day of the week...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I need advice ASAP.

OK, if I understand this correctly, you want to - ultimately/eventually - put on both fat and muscle, right?

The good news: if you start strength/resistance training (preferably, but not necessarily) in the gym, and eat more, you'll put on both. Meaning, start now - don't wait.

The simplest way would be to just eat more of whatever you like and/or are eating now - probably 250ish Calories more than however many you need to maintain your weight. As such, input into MFP that you want to gain 1/2 lb per week and let it tell you how many Calories to eat. You may have to experiment a little with different foods, to see what combinations and/or timing works best for you - to allow you to get all of your Calories in and not feeling over-full.

There are (or can be) some additional details, but for now, start there. Or, maybe I should say, start with psulemon's post/links above.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Good carb sources:

Good fat sources:

Good protein sources:

Hope this helps!

what makes them clean?

This is why I put it in quotes. By "clean " I'm assuming the OP means healthy,good for you,however you want to put it.
  • PennWalker
    Options

all food has chemicals...and i will take my talenti gelato over coconut ice cream any day of the week...

Whatever. I was answering the OP and recommending an ice cream made of pure coconut that I've tried and liked. There is no need to take a swipe at me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Whatever. I was answering the OP and recommending an ice cream made of pure coconut that I've tried and liked. There is no need to take a swipe at me.

i am simply clarifying for OP that all food has chemicals in it. ...